GreaseSpot Cafe

SATA hard drives - faster or not?

igotout

I think this statement I saw pretty much sums up SATA hard drive technology as it stands right now.

"The move to SATA makes drive intallation easier, but by itself, the interface soesn't provide any speed improvements over parallel ATA."

And speaking of hard drives....the fastest non -SCSI hard drive in the world right now is the Maxtor Diamond Plus 10 with a 16mb buffer. It is nearly as fast as SCSI but a lot cheaper.

Jim - wow! Those are THE fastest. But expensive and small compared to the Maxtor mentioned above.

My understanding is that these Maxtors are almost as fast as the Raptors and hold up to 300 GB! But no question, the Raptors are the finest out there.

Raid speeds them both up.

Depends on the need and pocketbook I guess.

Day to day hard drives are much better (and less likely to crash and burn) than they used to be for all of us. And cheaper too.

My original point was to mention that it appears that SATA adds nothing at this point except looks and ease of installation.

But I am sure this will change in the future.

The Raptors are about twice as expensive as the Maxtor, but for a server application they are still cheaper than SCSI.

My primary server uses a pair of the 36 gig Raptors for drive C and a pair of 74 gig Raptors for drive D. All connect to a 3ware 8506-4LP hardware RAID controller, runing RAID 1 on each pair of drives.

Our server only needs about 5 gig of storage at present, so the 74 gig volume will suffice for quite a while.

I'm building a second server which will be used solely to backup the main server. It will have a pair of Maxtor 300 gig SATA drives running software RAID 1. The plan is for a rotating, automated nightly backup and a weekly archival backup of the main server shared volume onto it. One of the SATA drives will be removeable and be taken off-site each Friday night.

So tell me what you're building?

I can ditto Jim's post regarding the Raptor's. I have two of them in a RAID 0 array and can definitely see the difference in benchmarks and games appear to load a lot faster. Only thing I would recommend though is that one image the array every now and then...there is no redundancy in RAID 0 ...if one drive goes, the whole thing goes.

Me? I am just building a little home computer server at this time.

It is going to look something like this: Bushido

I decided against a Raid 0 array for the reasons you mentioned. If one drive goes they are both gone. And I do not like Drive Imaging reliability nor do I like tape backups. And I am not wanting to do Raid 0 + 1 for my home and moderate gaming needs due to the number of drives needed, etc.

My choice is this:

DupliDisk 3 - EX Raid

From my experience it is the ultimate lazy mans backup solution. You just unlock one of the mirrored drives, and take it off site and pop in another drive. Similar to a tape backup only using bootable hard drives.

It may not be as fast as Raid 0 but with those Fast Maxtors I think I will have an awesome system that is constantly and easily mirrored with 100% off site backup.

What are your thoughts?

The case arrived today. It has no UV, just LED. I'm gonna add sound activated lights. It's a cool lookin case. My kids think so anyway.

I like this company because they allow you to order only the pieces you need, unlike others out there.

For example, I left out the floppy drive (obsolete). I left out the graphics card, hard drives, and burner. Installing the ones I want. But I accepted their Intel motherboard, power supply and their 1 GB Corsair memory (which has blinking leds along the edge of the modules indicating memory usage icon_biggrin.gif:D-->.)

By the way, I am going with XP Pro over 2003 Server. I use both so I can compare how they both behave. This was a tough decision. But it came down to one thing......there is tons of support for XP vs 2003 Server. And you can "modify" XP more than 2003 Server.

Pretty nice. It's always good when the kids like something we make (:

quote:
I like this company because they allow you to order only the pieces you need, unlike others out there.

For example, I left out the floppy drive (obsolete). I left out the graphics card, hard drives, and burner. Installing the ones I want. But I accepted their Intel motherboard, power supply and their 1 GB Corsair memory (which has blinking leds along the edge of the modules indicating memory usage Big Grin.)

I've never bought a ready-made PC. I just finshed building 8 machines for work. I did 2 a night over the long weekend. I ended up with $800-$900 units for closer to $500 each and they are exactly as I want.

Wow! Please come over to my house. I am sloooooowww as molasses, contemplating each wire practically. I treat it as more of a hobby.

Maybe I should be building ships in a bottle instead. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I also am striving for quietness. Not easy with these hot parts. Totally silent PC's are what should be the norm. Someday soon it will be I think. Last one I built for my office has 7 fans and it was no $500.

PAW, I gained a new appreciation for MACS when you were here. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Nice power supply Bistro. I just might order one of those. I wish it had LED fans.

I'm not a computer geek, guys. More of a computer hobbyist. And there are far more expensive hobbies like hot rods and airplanes and women. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I prefer the X Connect for less cable clutter. Are you sure the X Connect series has light(s) inside or is it just "UV Blue" as it states. I really like the fact that it has the see through sides. But I wonder if those fans are LED lit? I hope so. If it has lighting I will definitely place an order! It will match my acrylic case perfectly.

Click the Image Gallery at the bottom of this site.

X Connect Power Supply