GreaseSpot Cafe

port scans and access to your computer

Abigail

I set my Nortons so I could see when another computer was trying to access mine. Then I put the Whois websites in my favorites so I could look up the IP addresses.

I probably get at least 50 alerts a day regarding someone trying to access my computer. Most of the time Norton tells me its a medium risk and I should grant permission. But when I search the IP address it's usually a communications company in Korea or China. Once it was a repair shop somewhere in Virginia. I keep blocking them.

I am curious as to what all of these port scans are, why they want access to my computer. Anyone know about this?

Some of the scans are from companies engaging in pop up ads. Your computer sends out a signal when you open a web with pop ups and it responds.

Some are from your own ISP, checking which addresses are alive.

And some are folks fooling around with sniffing software. Just checking what is out there and which ports are open.

This is when a router is very handy. It takes the hits and protects your computers behind the router. Depending on the router, you can make your IP address seem invisible even to the sniffers.

Thanks Paw. I did get one from my ISP - which I allowed. The rest of them have not seemed legitimate so I've blocked them.

I think 1000Names is going to get us a new puter when he gets his tax returns. I can't chip in much on the puter cause I'm going to pay my van off. But I thought I would buy a router and another moniter then. That way we get the added protection from the router and the kids can have their own computer as well. icon_smile.gif:)--> (one that is actually fully functional and internet ready, as opposed to those dinasour Macs that are still limping around. )

Speaking of which - you know anyone who would be interested in an old iMac and another Mac which predates that? They both mostly work - the disc drive on the iMac only works intermittently and the other one has a tendency to lock up. No charge beyond shipping.

I just hate throwing away working computers even if they are old and have problems. icon_smile.gif:)-->