GreaseSpot Cafe

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

A very unusual movie.

It's billed as a comedy, and I guess you could call it that, but there are very few laugh out loud moments in it.

Jim Carrey has proven that he can be a pretty decent actor in the right role and he's very good in this.

The basic story is that Carrey's character breaks up with his girlfriend, Kate Winslet, and she has a medical procedure that erases him from her memory. Carrey decides to do the same thing to erase her from his memory. I can't blame him since Winslet's character is pretty annoying.

At this point, you really have to pay attention because it's hard to tell if what you're seeing is real or a memory or a fake memory.

It's an interesting premise and some of the visuals are pretty amazing. Quite different from most of what Hollywood churns out.

It's worth a look.

• 9 months later...

I rented ESotSM and saw it tonight. It's an elaborate riddle that draws you in through the middle and gives you a gift at the end, if you're willing to accept it. You may also feel as if you've been staring into something we all have in common, but I won't say what, as if I could. You may need to watch it more than once to follow the twists and doubling-back of the story line, but the lesson doesn't depend upon it. Hope you'll get to enjoy it. I liked Kate's character myself.

George, the last thing I'd want to do is add more aggravation to your account. If you can't stand Carrey's face, or you just wish he was dead, then steer clear. If it's his style of "humor" you don't like, this is (dramatically) more along the lines of The Truman Show, and there is nothing to worry about. Supporting actors get the few sight gags. You might enjoy the medical assistants.

The title comes from an Alexander Pope couplet. A thoughtful flick by most standards.

207 How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!

208 The world forgetting, by the world forgot.

209 Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!

210 Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

I don't like Jim Carrey either - but Satori is correct - this movie isn't his usual mugging at the camera and strutting around the movie set. It's different, for sure - but I liked it. I recommend that you hunker down and watch it all the way through - get your beer and popcorn and go pee before you hit the play button. It's worth watching.