GreaseSpot Cafe

Deadwood - spoiler or two

Hope R.

Hmmmm - Tommy - interesting observation - I'll have to catch it on Sat. night just to see that part!

I think Jane's going to hang around a bit - and I think, if they take the history seriously, she'll remain a major character in the show for a while. The real Calamity Jane was a wonderful woman, very fierce, but very caring. I'm looking forward to the depiction of some of the things she did while in Deadwood. I hope they include them.

• 3 weeks later...

Still watching - still enjoying it. I think the language toned down a bit last week, either that or I've gotten used to it. Swerengen seems to be the one who swears the most!

I think Bullock and the widow are going to get together. The woman who plays Calamity Jane deserves multiple awards.

BTW - there really was a Small Pox epidemic in Deadwood, and Jane really did help care for the sick.

I think I'm enjoying reading the real history as much as I'm enjoying the show.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else think that it's getting better as it goes on? The character development has been fabulous.

Couldn't figure out the purpose of those two kids getting killed so quickly and brutally, but realized that's just part of showing that deep down, Cy Tolliver is probably a lot worse than Al Swearengen, who may actually have a soft spot.

Should get even more intersting. Wyatt Earp will be coming to town soon - at least that's in the history books! (or history web sites!)

My guess -- since the good doctor was arrested for grave robbing 7 times, with research being his reason, I'd venture that the preacher will die, and the doc will rob his grave to do an autopsy on his brain to see whether or not his tumor diagnosis was correct.

Gawd, didn't you just love Mr. Woo? And what a great role - all he had to say was "...." about 50 times to get his point across! Great acting!

Think Joanie is really attracted to Charlie Utter? Think Bullock will get it on with the lovely widow? And did Jane really leave?

One more question - how many more shows are left? I know Tony and the gang go bye-bye in two weeks - then "SIX FEET UNDER" returns (hooray!!!!!), but what about our friends in "Deadwood"?

I think there are only two more HopeR... none this Sunday according to the website... they disappear from the Sunday schedule after 6/13 (episode 12) when Six Feet Under starts up again...

That would be a good guess on the preacher and doctor... I was thinking either that OR that the doc operates on him!

And I'm thinking maybe Bullocks "wife and child" might either not come to Deadwood at all or something happens to them on the way... and he can hook up with the widow lady...

As for Joanie and Utter... hmmm... I'm thinking she's just using him... but Tolliver is going to turn out to be the meanest of all I think (Swearingen has been showing compassion lately)... wonder what he'll do to Eddie?

• 3 weeks later...

Hope: Looks like you called a bunch of the bits in the finale correctly. Good eye!

Never really got into 6FU, though. TV is getting kind of empty now that the seasons for 24, The Shield, The Sopranos, and Deadwood are spent. (Ok, so there's one more ep of The Shield but that's tomorrow night.) At least nip/tuck starts Season 2 next week! icon_smile.gif:)-->

I think I'll miss Deadwood as much as I missed Six Feet Under. Regardless of the language - the acting was some of the best I've ever seen anywhere.

Wasn't the Dr's scene amazing? When he was praying? He blew me away. All of it was spectacular last night (with the exception of the magistrate getting his throat cut - ugh - I couldn't watch).

They wrapped up the season nicely. I sorta knew Bullock was going to end up being the Sheriff because he'd been one before. He's also so frikkin' righteous - in a good way - that he had to be the Sheriff.

Wonder how he's going to be able to work with Al?

Anyway - I really enjoyed that series - better than Carnivale for sure.

You're right, Zix - the only good thing about TV right now is that Six Feet Under is back - and the Fishers are as dysfunctional as ever!

Loved the final episode!

"Swin-gin" is turning out to have a lot of demons he's trying to appease isn't he? Actually being kind sometimes...

Bullock will continue to ROCK... I think he will tolerate Al, but will let Al know where the line is and that he better not cross it... I think he's probably the only person in town that Al respects (other than the Doc)...

Tolliver is going to be the most evil I think... it'll be interesting to see how he works with Bullock as well, although I think he respects him as well...

I did enjoy the beat down that Bullock administered though.... that guy really deserved it...

When does "The Wire" come back?

I liked Carnivale OK... it just takes a lot of work (and I don't think you should have to work so hard to keep up with a show)... it was almost too "Twin Peak-ish" for me...

• 8 months later...