GreaseSpot Cafe

Deadwood - spoiler or two

Hope R.

Okay - I googled Wild Bill Hickok just to see how good Carridine was at his portrayal - what a ringer! And the pics of the real Calamity Jane look exactly like the actress.

I also found out a bit of history. It seems that Deadwood is where he meets his doom on August 2, 1876 at the hand of a man named Jack McCall - who shot him in the back. The story is that Hickok had killed his brother. According to the HBO site - the first episode takes place in July of the same year.

The show is historically accurate - though I still can't find anything that says they used the eff word so much. Gawd, tonight they made Tony Soprano sound like a choir boy. And the frontal nudity? I was surprised, really.

I think that Milch spent so many years on NYPD Blue and Hill Street (among others) that now he has a chance to be on cable and is doing everything he couldn't do on network TV.

I can't say whether I enjoyed tonight's episode or not. I'm going to stick with it until it makes me feel too yucky to watch.

Swearengen is the devil - and actually reminds me of Al Pacino in "The Devil's Advocate" at times.

I was commenting to the missus about 2/3 of the way through the show "these actors are really doing a good job"... I really do think they're nailing it... the actress playing Calamity Jane, Robin Weigert, is doing an outstanding job...

I don't know HopeR, I like it so far and am anxious to see how it goes... the preview for next week looks pretty promising...

Hope: Yeah, when you said "frontal nudity", I wasn't exactly expecting some fat hairy dude waving his [Craig] around...

There were only about 65 words with "uck" somewhere in them, which is a bit tame compared to last week... icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Zix - wasn't he gross? I can't believe that actor had b@lls to do that! (pun intended).

That and all the peeing - what's that all about?

I didn't think it was necessary to the plot line to watch Charlie pee and pass gas while he was talking to Seth & Saul outside the tent.

And I don't think there was much added to plot when Swearengen got up in the morning and peed in the corner. It could have been easily left out and I sure wouldn't have thought, "Gee, I wonder why they don't show these guys relieving themselves more often?" Again, gross.

They didn't need to use the "F" word as much this week because they made up for it by using the "C" word a few times...

Hope: If you go back and watch it again, there was a chamberpot in the corner of Swearengen's room, so he wasn't just peeing on the floor. But you're right, most of that was totally unnecessary to the plot. Just makes me want to shake the writers and say, "Okay, so Deadwood was a nasty place in the 1870s, we get it already, move on, guys!"

I don't know, I haven't really been too put off by anything yet... I guess it's because it's what I was expecting, that they're going to push the envelope and try and give it 'reality'... that way, I'm not surprised...

While I didn't particularly 'revel' in the peeing scenes, I didn't really mind them, I just thought it added to the character and flavor of the times... but then again, Ben Cartwright, Matt Dillon and Miss Kitty never went to the bathroom and I didn't feel like I'd missed anything... I remember watching westerns when I was a young lad and thinking "gee, it'd be great to have lived back then"... but that's because it was such a sanitized version we were seeing... know what I mean?

I thought it was 'natural' for Swearingen to pee when he woke up, it's what humans do... and I laughed out loud when Charlie farted while peeing and had an 'accident'! But now I feel so ashamed! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

now the thin guy with the wire rim glasses?

he's working both sides isn't he? but really for the "new" guys?

and HopeR... I can see 'em setting up Wild Bill... but Carradine is doing a fine job...

I just keep wondering how "the NY Dude's" wife is so powerful? Is it because of the gold? or something else?

The way I figure it, Wild Bill won't get knocked off for a couple of seasons. Remember, each weekly episode is only one day in Deadwood. The first episode had a "July 1876" subtitle when if first opened up. Hickok didn't get killed until August 3rd of the same year. They've got at least 30 days left - which equals 30 episodes, and in HBO life that's about 2 1/2 years!

Yeah - it was more foul than the last 2 episodes. The scene where Hickok attributes McCall's mouth to a part of the female anatomy was disgusting. I really thought Bill had more class than that.

Friday night HBO is going to run all 3 episodes back to back. I might tape them.

Oh - the NY dude's wife - my prediction - she's going to lose all the money and have to become one of "the girls".

Hope,

I think I read where Carradine says he's in only the first four episodes. OK, the acting is good, the storylines are average but that language!!! I find it hard to believe they cursed with the same words in use today. I wonder how you would do research into the type of profanity actually used??

sudo

Hey there Sudo!

I googled "Deadwood" "language" and came up with a multiplicity of articles. Apparently, David Milch swears that the language was common for Deadwood in the 1870's. I don't know. The "c" word is really offensive to me.

I'm sorry to hear that Carradine will be exiting sooner than I expected. He's a marvelous actor - and I just love his voice. He is the perfect Wild Bill Hickok, although I can't imagine the real dude using the "c" word like the character did in that one scene.

Hope,

I don't doubt that the language was bad but I was wondering about SPECIFIC words. Fer instance the 'c' word and the 'f' word. I know for dang sure they didn't use the 'm-f' word as that is a 20th century invention, I've read. And what about the 'f' word's use as an adjective? As in "that effing idiot"? It just doesn't seem authentic to my ears.

I would have expected a lot more use of g-ddamn type language but you'll note that they haven't used that term once, have they? Is that realistic? I can't say for sure, of course, but it appears that the writers used today's profanity and then justified it by saying they researched it.

sudo

Tom: No, you can't use a splitter because the satellite tuner has to send a signal back to the dish to flip the polarity for half the channels. If you call DirecTV though, they'll install the second cable as part of the install, usually for free. You really want it though, because otherwise you can't watch another channel while you're recording the first. With dual-tuner units, you can record one and watch another, or even record TWO programs while watching a third that you've already recorded!

My 2nd DirecTiVo only cost me $99.

Zix,

I may go that route myself. What I mean is that Time Warner runs both the cable TV and Road Runner here and they charge way too much. And you can't get just Road Runner and not their TV cable service either. No sir. If you don't want cable, you have to pay the minimum anyways if you want Road Runner. And the cost of their cable is now sky high.

So what I'm thinking of doing is getting rid of the whole thing and going satellite TV (DirecTV) and BellSouth DSL. The internet speed isn't quite as good as Road Runner but plenty faster than dial-up. I've talked to people who have done this and they say the picture is better on satellite TV, too. Plus the cable goes out quite a bit. Bottom line is that I would save nearly $50 a month and have nearly as good internet connection and a better TV system.

sudo

I've got DirecTV, I have an extra output on the dish (only using 3 of 4) I can run the cable...

I still use Comcast (was AT&T) for cable modem... the Directwave stuff costs like $90 a month, and DSL would probably be about the same... I might change to DSL... but I think I'll go down to the geek forum for those things...

Zix,

Which begs the question, why are they just now doing this? I don't understand where the internet is located and who pays for access. At first, the internet was all telephone line connected somehow. Then you could connect to it by fiber optic.

Is the reason DSL speeds are different (some DSL providers offer subscribers different speeds for different prices on the SAME network) because of monies paid by the ISP's to another ISP? So does Bellsouth pay some entity monies based on bandwidth?

In addition to physical limitations on DSL (condition and lenght of telephone lines to central office) I've been told that DSL providers seldom provide maximum speeds available. They evidently can turn up speeds with little more than adjusting settings on their end. So why don't they turn them up all the way? Does it cost them more to do that? I just don't know.

sudo

Not to change the subject but I just wanted to throw in my two cents about Deadwood.

Love it! I can understand how some folks would find the language offensive but it doesn't bother me a lick. I was wondering the same thing myself about how authentic the use of those particular cuss words were during that time. I was amazed at the frequency of the useage of "co** su***r". Seems like they were going out of their way to use that one.

Hickock is great as well as the others but the portrayal of the villian (can't think of his name) who owns the bar...scheesh! This guy is as nasty as they come. Just looking into his eyes makes your skin crawl.

The actor who plays Swearengen is Ian McShane. He looked so familiar to me, but I still couldn't place where I'd seen him before.

Then I googled his filmography. Turns out he's been in a lot of movies and series I've seen over the years, but never as a main character (at least in the ones I've seen).

He reminds me of a cross between Al Pacino and Daniel Hedaya.

I went to the HBO site for "Deadwood" and there are some interesting facts. Seems that all these characters were given a "background" so they could develop their roles better. I don't know if we'll ever hear about them on the series.(Ian McShane Interview)

I'm hoping the language cleans itself up - not because it offends me (which some of it does), but I find it a big distraction to the dialog.

Sudo: Not to derail any further, but the reason it's only being done now are twofold. One, the Baby Bells wanted to make sure they weren't caught in a bandwidth crunch if there were a swarm of new subscriptions, so they went conservative on the speed at first. Two, it requires faster switches at the main internet junction which weren't cost-justified until the subscriber base reached a certain level. DSL is really capable of 10Mbps speeds, same as cable modem.

Deadwood: Tonight's show seemed like a filler episode, except for the big ending...

Well Zix, they did say on the HBO site that the widow holds a lot of power... I think we were being set up for the different ways the stories are going to go... maybe filler, but filler that allowed us to catch our breath for a second and then WHAM!

Did anyone else catch, or at least I thought I caught, that he was "uncomfortable" or "not real happy" to be taking the seat with his back to the door? Or was that just my imagination? I could've sworn he kinda looked at the chair, then looked back at the door... then just kinda went with "oh well"... or am I just peaking?