GreaseSpot Cafe

DVD: "Bubba Ho-Tep"

An aged Elvis (Bruce Campbell) and JFK (Ozzie Davis) battle a soul-sucking mummy in a nursing home in Mud Creek, Texas.

Damn, my wife sure knows how to pick out my birthday presents (lol).

This is a fun and very unusual little indie film, based on a short story by Joe R. Lansdale, with a lot of heart put into the making of it. Bruce Campbell ("Evil Dead", "Army of Darkness") gives a convincing, contemplative and (I think) very respectful depiction of an old Elvis. Ozzie Davis does a fine job with "Jack Kennedy" as well. I don't want to take away the fun and give any spoilers on how Elvis and JFK ended up a nursing home in Texas. If you're looking for something completely different, fun, and even a bit uplifting - this may fit the bill.

The dvd also includes many extras and commentaries on the making of "Bubba Ho-Tep".

Of course, many of the major studios didn't want to even touch the film, one reason being that the elderly, protagonists -Elvis with a walker and JFK in a wheelchair - didn't fit the mindless, teenage demographic. But c'mon, we're talking about "the King" and JFK" here, fighting an ancient Egyptian mummy feeding on the souls of rest-home residents! How can you go wrong? icon_smile.gif:)-->

Highly recommended for who like this sort of off-the-wall stuff. And for those who like Elvis.

Danny