GreaseSpot Cafe

Tiff Gif Jpeg and other assorted critters

herbiejuan

I am confused once again...

I can scan into tiff format but my website won't allow me to upload a tiff file to it. What is it with all these different files types? Why oh why would someone design so many instead of standardizing these things? Is there an easy (read free) program that can convert these things into a usable format?

I am seriously considering junking this whole internet/puter concept and returning to snail mail n smoke signals...

Mikey -

If you have a scanner, then you should be set. What you do is you run your scanner software and do a "save as" - it should allow you to save the picture as type .jpg or .gif instead of .tiff.

But I really don't know why your website won't allow tiffs - something sounds off about that.

But tiffs are basically fax images, so it would be better to upload a jpeg or gif anyway. Perhaps it is because of space - a tiff is far less compressed than a gif or jpeg.

Do you have my Smoke Signal addy?

jpeg (aka jpg) files and gif files are among the most popular on the internet. Their formats allow for a quality pic with some type of compression for size.

Tiff files are UNcompressed. Many digital cameras have a setting allowing you to take pics in a "raw" or uncompressed format, giving you the highest possible quality.

Most websites recognize jpeg and gif. Tiff can be uploaded but more than likely not readable. (they are usually very large files)

Most photo editing programs will open Tiff and convert it for you. Most smoke signal programs won't.

Thank you gentlemen, I've perused the scanners functions and a bit of the tutorials (I just wish those things were easier to understand...I get so frustrated sometimes) and now have a greater understanding of the difference between the file types. Why oh why do they not make these things standardized, well I understand now, I think but what is important is I can now scan images to my webiste (bellsouth btw) and post 'em here.

Again my thanks and a happy turkey day to you all.

Paw, I don't have your smoke signal address, Cox.net is the only one I have.

Happy B'day btw icon_biggrin.gif:D-->