GreaseSpot Cafe

PageMaker - document to PDF question

ChasUFarley

I'm working with PageMaker for a client and they want an old file converted to a PDF in reader's spreads for web publication. I'm having some computer problems and really need to get my machine into the shop before things get worse...

Anyone here know PageMaker (aka RageMaker)?

This is on a PC, BTW - not Mac (unfortunately...)

Please let me know or email me at jarg@metrocast.net.

I'm willing to HIRE someone to convert this for me - I'm having too much trouble (and too little time) to deal with this anymore... I'm one tired momma!

THANKS!

I use PageMaker with my company graphic artist. He is the expert and I am the novice I might add. The following is from a version 6.5 reference book that I have:

To create a PDF from a PageMaker document:

1. Open the PageMaker document from which you wish to create a PDF.

2. Choose File>Export>Adobe>PDF

The Export Adobe PDF dialog box appears.

3. Change any options in the Export Adobe PDF box that need to be adjusted.

I recommend checking the Distill now radio button and View PDF using checkbox, so that the PDF file is both created and opened for viewing in Acrobat.

4. Click the Export button.

A dialog box appears, giving you the opportunity to name your PDF file and choose a location where it should be saved.

5. Click the Save Button

All sorts of things will happen on your screen. First, PageMaker will translate the file into PostScript. Next, Acrobat Distiller will be launched automatically, and will process the PostScript files. Finally, the new PDF will open in Acrobat. Fortunately, you don't have to do anything after you click the Save button - PageMaker does it all automatically.

Note: I wish you could see it in the original (Ha Ha Ha! Hope you don't mind my Waybrain joke.)

Actually, PageMaker is a good program, but you have to watch it like a hawk. I am constantly correcting my company catalog file as photos, and formating get corrupted at times for no good reason.

One more thing. The above are instructions from a MacIntosh book. However, I am sure that the Windows version is very similar. I know it is with PhotoShop (also an Adobe program like PageMaker).

Good luck and love your hungry kitty.

Mark --

I able to successfully turn the file into a PDF - but for whatever reasons I can't get it to show up as reader's spreads. That's the real problem. The sick thing is that I've done this before and gotten it in the format that I needed. However, I think that whatever part of my brain that memory was a part of was attached to the baby... In short, I've lost it!

BTW - This is version 6.5, and I have the book as well. I'm sure there's just some little step I'm forgetting to do - it's frustrating! (This is going to be one of those V8 moments - you know, when you slap your forehead in disgust because the solution was right infront of you...)

The document is in letter-half - 5.5 x 8.5 tall. Double sided, facing pages. It's 105 pages long but should be about 53 pages as a PDF - if done correctly. I've downloaded the Adobe Post Script driver and installed it. I've made sure that this is selected for the export of the document to PDF.... as well as reader's spreads...

AAAARRRRRRRRRRRgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

You may just have to experiment until you get it correct. It may be just as simple as checking the Reader's Spreads Box. I know there is one on the File>Print window. I make sure that is checked before I send the files to my printer.

However, I have not used PageMaker to publish anything on the Web. I did not know you could do that. We use straight HTML with a little Java Script for web publishing.

If it is any consolation I feel your pain. Double AAAARRRRRRRRRRRgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

I think you have to make a booklet and assign it properties like "perfect bound" or something. If you like, I'll check on it Monday when I'll have the computer at work in front of me. I know we did this or something similar with our first user's manual.

A dear friend of mine took a stab at it and what he came up with was very close. After I reviewed the pdf he sent me I was able to figure it out... - here's the thing...

Since the document was letterhalf size it needed to have facing pages checked in the document set-up rather than have readers spreads selected. Then, in the printing options I checked off the option to center the page on the paper and to reduce the page by 90% so that it would fit on the paper since most printers won't print exactly to the edge of the paper - print area is usually about 0.25" (some more, some less) than the actual paper size.

So it was several options that needed to happen to get the desired results...

Thanks again for your help - I thought you might like to know what the outcome of my little mystery...

Glad you got what you want. Pagemaker is one of those programs that you develop a love/hate relationship with. Better than Word, but very frustrating to work with.

We're going to take a look at Adobe Creative Suite one of these days...