GreaseSpot Cafe

Good thing from the system

Shellon

I saw this in the article:

quote:

Caldwell said several parents in the district are registered sex offenders. She said they are supervised when visiting their children's schools.

"We can't prevent them from seeing their child, but what we do is, we make sure their visit is secure while they're on campus. They're supervised," said Caldwell.

Why can't they be prevented from seeing their children? I understand that after these people serve their jail time they get to be out in society again, supposedly with all debts served (ignoring their very high rate of doing it again.) However, these people should never get custody of any children, even again. Adoption may suck for kids who are older than babies or toddlers, but it has to be better than being molested or living with parents who might rape your friends.

P-Mosh:

"Why can't they be prevented from seeing their children? I understand that after these people serve their jail time they get to be out in society again, supposedly with all debts served (ignoring their very high rate of doing it again.) However, these people should never get custody of any children, even again. Adoption may suck for kids who are older than babies or toddlers, but it has to be better than being molested or living with parents who might rape your friends."

In the case of the foster-children that we recently had in our family [they were my children for 3 years].

The girl had been raped by the bio-father of one of the younger brothers. Well that bio-father is in prison, but at one point his 'parental-rights' were given back to him, and the state re-initiated visitations between him and all syblings. While the syblings were with us, the state began proceedings with the possible intent of re-unifying those children back with him [the convicted child-rapist] when he got out. The state was going to do this even though our foster-daughter was the one that he had been convicted of raping.

Eventually the state re-instated the 'Termination-of-parental-rights' and re-stopped the visitations. Back during that period of time, the girl was going through a tough time. As were we trying to stand up for her against the state. .

As I understnad it [and the case-workers insisted] the rights of the bio-parents exist. And if the courts re-award him with his parental-rights, then the only other issue is 'bonding'. If that parent makes any effort to see or visit with the children, if those children enjoy seeing that parent, or maybe even if what they enjoy is the 'trip' [out of school, across state, whatever], so long as the kids dont complain, or show obvious stress; then the case-workers MUST begin work to re-unify that family.

It does not really matter how much or how badly the parent abused the child, or raped them, whatever.

:-)