GreaseSpot Cafe

XP Problem - Please help!

ChasUFarley

When I lauch any MS application (Word, Outlook, etc.) I am greeted with the splash screen then the Microsoft Office XP Professional config window pops up. This problem just started today.

The next window that comes up tells me it's looking for the CD or other removable disk that isn't available. (I don't have the CD - I got it from a previous employer!) I'm asked to insert the disk & click OK - of course I have to click cancel cuz I don't have the disk... Then I get error 1706 i.e. go to C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice 101033setup.hlp.

I went to this file path to see what it says and it's about as clear as mud - I can't figure out what I need to do to make this @#^%$# window go away.

Please help! This is driving me nuts!

THANKS!!!!!

p.s.

I've rebooted several times - it won't go away!

Well, unfortunetly, I don't think you can get around it without having the cd chas. I've seen that happen from doing a windows update before, other things can cause it too, like creating a new user account and trying to run office as that user.

When you DO get a cd though, make sure you install ALL to run from my computer and there will be less chance of it happening again.

Rick

I've seen that happen, too, on the computers at the school where I teach.

When I went through "Start", "Progams", "Microsoft Office", "Powerpoint", Powerpoint started right up.

But when I would double-click on a .ppt file, it would give me that "trying to load" garbage.

• 1 month later...