GreaseSpot Cafe

Copying WinXP desktop

Jim

Yes. Create the new user account first. Now, the trick is, you have to be logged in as a THIRD user, not the new one or the one who's desktop you want to share. So after you create the new account, restart the computer at least one time so the initial desktop is created. Then, you must shutdown and restart (logging off won't work as some of the files will be locked till you restart). Log in as the third party, go to control panel, then go to the system panel. Click on settings under User Profiles. Under permitted to use, click change and select the new user. Finally, at the top of that panel, copy to: and click browse, browse to Documents and Settings, and find the new user.

Sounds like a lot of crap (and it IS really, MS could have made it a lot easier) but it's not too bad once you've done it a few million times. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Rick

By the way, 2 steps there are very important. If you have not done so already, after you create the new user, log in as that user at least once.

Second, if EITHER the old user or the new user is logged in, you MUST restart the computer and log in as a third user for it to work properly. If you want, you can create a temporary user account with admin priviliges and just remove the account when finished.

Hey Jim, just wondered if you got the desktop thing to work.

I was pulling my hair out trying to make it work once, when I promoted a clients server to a domain controller. The one thing that MS leaves out in thier instructions is the bit where if you have been logged in as EITHER user, you have to restart so all the files are unlocked, then log in as a third party with admin permissions to actually do the copy.

Let me know!

Rick