GreaseSpot Cafe

Buying & Storing On-Line Music

satori001

I've used MSN Music, musicmatch, iTunes, and a few others to buy tunes I wanted or needed for some reason.

The sound quality is pretty good. Good enough in the post-analog, digital infidelity age, anyway.

Recently, my Windows Media Player can't acquire the license for my non-MSN tunes. In one case it says I need to install Musicmatch 8.5 or higher. I have version 10 installed, and I've reinstalled it twice, just to make Windows happy. But there's no pleasing Windows, apparently.

It's always worked in the past. CD-ripped tunes don't present any problem.

I can't tell if it's just Bill Gates trying to screw the competition, and Windows users too, as usual, or if I've gone and done something I oughtn't.

Any of you familiar with managing a fairly large collection of tunes from different sources on your PC? The vast majority have been ripped from previously owned CD's, but there's a considerable on-line investment too.

I have the option of "backing up" my licenses, but they back up to a prior folder, and I don't trust it not to delete licenses it no longer holds current. NONE of them should have expired, but recovering them would be next to impossible.

I don't see any "primers" out there on this topic. Still looking.

Thanks.

PS To moderators, mitigators or medicators as the case may be: this is a computer question, yes, but it is also a general music question and might be overlooked if I put it in the computer question or music forums.*

--

*Here's an unrelated forum question:

Would it be possible for certain threads to exist in multiple forums simultaneously? There might be more advantages than drawbacks.

I had so many problems downloading music from various sites that it drove me crazy. Most of the problem was with spyware that came alone with it.

When I switched to cable, they offered a paid for service called "Rhapsody" and I tried it. I love it. I've had no problems with music I've purchased and if I just want to listen, the music quality is quite good. If it's available in your area, you might try it.

I don't think the problem comes from Bill Gates' end, rather, I think it's the music industries answer to those who previously stole music by various means.

Thanks. I have Rhapsody too. And I've used it.

Windows Media has a few features I like. I can play songs at half & double speed if I want, which is great for musicians.

Maybe the others have similar features but I'd rather just go with what I already know.

My Musicmatch software now crashes when I use it, so while it will recognize the licenses, it just won't play anything.

A way some people get aroung the key thing for just the reason you stated- being unable to re-load a key after a crash or upgrade is to convert the file from WMA to MP3 or MP3 to WMA (most music I purchase seems to be WMA).

A Program such as Sound master in the EZ CD Creator Suite can do this on a computer that has the Key. The only way to deal with itunes is to burn a CD and rip it as far as I have heard.

You might want to convert at a higher sampling rate (bitrate or bps) to preserve quality. CD quality is 128 BPS

I often use 256 or 320 bps- the file sise is bigger but who cares- usually.

On the computer I like to use Musicmatch as my player.- It is also good as ripper/burner