GreaseSpot Cafe

New Used Cars

Belle

Not to derail this but....

quote:
Dodge Spirits are not K-cars...

No... and Yes.... they are K-cars on steriods - at least the Spirit R/T was, but there weren't very many of those made. Check this out:

http://www.allpar.com/eek/k/k.html

Especially this paragraph:

quote:
Nearly a decade after their introduction, Chrysler wisely decided to give the venerable Plymouth Reliant and Dodge Aires an Oprah makeover. The resulting Plymouth Acclaim and Dodge Spirit sedans were certainly some small step forward in terms of styling and packaging, having lost much of the sharp edged, angular look of their predecessors, but the underpinnings remained firmly rooted in K-car technology, right down to the base engine, the stroked 2.5 liter derivative of the original 2.2 liter four introduced with the K-cars back in 1981. In fact, in 1990, Dodge decided to plug the 2.2 liter powerplant back into the Spirit as an option for the 1991 model. Ho-hum, huh?

Love my Mopar!

Two things to mention.

#1 and said by many. Get a mechanic to look over the car. Started to buy one till I found out it needed $5K in work that I didn't see and the private owner didn't mention. Bought another one and have done great.

#2. Buy big. I have a wall of fame in the garage of licence plates of totaled vehicles that my sons have driven. Don't spend much money for this reason. Also the bigger vehicle wins in a wreck every time. Please note that two of the totals were not my sons fault but in one case the fact that he was in a truck saved his life. the truck that burned in my dads drive is still a mystry.

Lastly (yes this is three) as someone else has said don't get in a hurry. We start looking months before we need till we find one in good shape and at a reasonable price.

Okay, sorry for my bad about the K-car. Guess they fooled me, as we once owned an Aries wagon that I ended up hating with a passion. However, I liked the Spirit.

My all time favorite was my 1999 Civic EX Coupe that I totalled last year. It was a very fun car to drive, got excellent gas mileage and was cute as could be. A pain in the anatomy due to its size and only two doors if we wanted to take along anybody and my husband's hair brushed the ceiling of the car. So now we have a CR-V, 141K miles not as good mileage, but much more practical for our needs

WG