GreaseSpot Cafe

low fat/no fat recipes

Cindy!

Here's a thread for all us wonderful chefs of GS to post recipes that are low in fat or good for a diet.

I'll start with a grilled lamb recipe that is just OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!!

2 lbs plain, low fat yogurt

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 lemon, zested

1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

3/4 cup fresh whole rosemary leaves

2 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1 5 lb butterflied leg of lamb

Combine the yogurt, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a gallon size ziploc bag. Add the lamb, making sure it is covered with marinade. Marinate in the fridge overnight or for up to 3 days.

Bring the lamb to room temperature. Prepare a charcoal grill with hot coals. Scrape the marinade off the lamb, wipe the meat with paper towels and grill on both sides until the internal temperature is 120 - 125 degrees for rare. This will take 40 minutes to 1 hours (we usually turn it after 20 minutes) depending on how hot the grill is.

Remove the lamb to a cutting board, cover with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Then slice and serve.

You don't need mint jelly or any other condiment...it's LOVELY!!!!

Cindy, if you use regular salt is the measurement different?

I'm thinking of trying your recipe on a small pork roast, so I'm cutting it down.

I have this gorgeous rosemary bush and am trying to find new ways to use the herb icon_smile.gif:)-->

gc

quote:
Originally posted by coolchef1248@adelphia.net:

and please remember spices and hers are to enhance not over power food.

to me if you wonder what the enhancement is when you eat it and are not quite sure what the herb is you have suceeded confused.gif

'cept when you are talking about cooking with garlic, right? wink2.gif;)-->

thanks for the recipe, that one's easy enough for me to try right away!

gc

This is one of my favorite recipes and since I came up with it and its not in print and the measurement are not exact. Its kind of a throw together recipe, if you know what I mean.

zuccini

squash

onion

mushroom

margarine

olive oil

Lee and Perrin

garlic

a touch of water, if needed

directions:

add a bit of margarine and some olive into a medium skillet to heat. slice mushrooms and onion, add to oil, add a bit of Lee and Perrin and sprinkle with garlic, saute' until almost done (how ever you like it), add sliced zuccini and squash to the mixture. Continue cooking until your veggies are how you like them. The mushroom and squash will add liquid to the mix. Pour over pasta, top with grated parmesan cheese. Pepper to taste after its cooked.

the amounts you use depends on how many are eating. For me, I'm the only one eating, I use 1/2 of a zuccini and 1/2 of a squash, a handful of mushrooms (remember they shrink with cooking) and 1 medium onion.

I fixed this for one other person once and he cleaned his plate and asked for more. That's my signal that the meal was good! And he has since tried the recipe at home.

Ok, thanks Cindy! icon_smile.gif:)-->

gc

I throw a lot of things together "to taste" and/or "till the colors balance" icon_biggrin.gif:D--> I also avoid any recipe that takes more than 20-30 minutes except for the most special of occasions. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Here are a few of my favorites:

Corn Salad

I always get requests for the recipe when I take this somewhere

Canned White Shoepeg Corn

Green Onions

Tomatoes (I prefer plum or grape tomatoes)

Dollop of Mayo (just enough to moisten)

Salt

Pepper

All to taste. You don't want too many onions or it will overpower the salad. The more pepper you add the spicier it is.

I usually make it the night before because a day of mingling the flavors makes it especially yummy.

Pick up Sticks Scallops

Fresh Scallops (doesn't matter which kind)

Red, Green, Yellow, Orange Bell Peppers cut into slivers (I use colors the store has, but you want at least 3 different colors)

Sliced Onion

Paprika

Salt & Pepper

Italian Bread Crumbs (optional)

In a non-stick pan spritzed with a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil Saute the sliced bell peppers and onions till desired tenderness (I like mine still a little crispy).

Add the scallops and sautee till opaque.

Add seasonings and Italian Bread Crumbs

Voila! Some serve it over Basmati Rice but I eat it just like that with a little salad.

Greek Chicken Salad

Chopped chicken breast (I use drained, canned chicken when in a hurry)

Fresh Parsley chopped

Kalamata Olives chopped

Cucumber diced

Feta Cheese crumbled

Tzatziki Sauce:

Fat Free Yogurt

Dollop of Maoy

Oregano (fresh or dried) (I use dried)

Garlic, Fresh, minced

Mix together chicken and above ingredients in a bowl.

Mix in a separate bowl the tzatziki sauce.

Add the tzatziki sauce to the chicken mixture and stir it all together.

Serve in Pitas with a slice of lettuce OR over a bed of lettuce OR eat right out of the bowl. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Tuscan Tuna

Canned, drained tuna

Canned, drained Cannellini Beans

Chopped Red Onion (if you slice the red onion very thin and soak in ice cold water it brings out the sweetness of the onion)

Basalmic Vinegar (I've recently discovered Raspberry Balsalmic Vinegar. It's DELISH in this!!)

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I very seldom add any oil to mine)

Mix it all together and you have a yummy non-traditional tuna salad.

Serve with crackers, in a pita or on a bed of lettuce OR right out of the bowl. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->