GreaseSpot Cafe

Home Schooling Revisited - Anyone done preschool @ home?

ChasUFarley

Our son Kristopher, who just turned 4 years old this month, was not accepted to the local public preschool because he's not a "special-needs" case. It seems they only take kids who have disabilities or are behind in certain areas of their development.

Hubby and I have already decided that when he starts the new school year and returns to work full-time (he is a public school teacher), that I am going to either quit my current job or just go per diem. So, I will be home with the boys during the weekday. I am considering doing a pre-school home schooling program with Kristopher.

Has anyone here done a pre-school home school program or know someone who has? Do you feel it made a difference in the child's education or do you feel it was "pushing" the child too much? Are there any certain programs or resources that you recommend? (I did a Google on this subject and the response was an ocean of information - some of it good, some of it not!)

Thanks for you help - as always!

I don't know much about home-schooling, but I would find out if Kindergarden is a half-day or full-day program where your son will go next year. Then you can also find out what type of things they would like him to know at the start of the school year. I would think some type of structured time would be good to get ready for when he is 5. But what you try to teach him would depend on what your school district expects and then go from there to see how interested he is in the different subjects.

I would think making sure he knows his alphabet, colors, shapes,and numbers up to 10 would be wise. I think they also worked with cutting things out with scissors. Oh and see if your school district teaches modern manuscript or regular block letters for writing if you want him to get used to holding his pencil and trying to write his name. (Which is something else they covered at age 4.)

Have you checked into Head Start?

Great program and mostly set for low income families. The kids in our school (grades K - 5) who get the merit awards as well as discipline rewards are 96% former Head Start kids according to an 'afterwards effectiveness' study recently done.

I applaud parents who home school whether it be from pre-school or college!

I'm very lazy and already know I'd never do the work with my child. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Chas, I homeschooled preschool with two of my kids. We didn't so much follow a curriculum, but I played ABC and 123 games, did lots of art projects and cooking.

I was also on a pretty regular schedule--"It's story time now, let's put away toys." Schedules can be frustrating to a child who hasn't had to follow one too tightly--and schools are often tightly scheduled.

One learned to read from a phonics game.

In my area you want your beginning kindergartener to have good scissor skills, and to be able to hold a pencil correctly(hard to relearn.)It is good if they can read their own name. Any additional ABC or number knowledge will only help. Any self help skill will make the day easier for a little kindergartener--zipping, tying, etc. Remember, the ones who don't have to wait for teacher to zip their coats get the swings.

Reading books to your kids is the best thing you can do. I often did themes- gardens, farms etc, and got books to read from the library, which is what we do in my preschool program.

Our local library had a mom and tots story time followed by a simple craft once a week. We never missed that, it was fun.

Hey Chas!

One of the cousins I was re-acquainted with this past month home schools her children. I think Holly is 4. If you'd like for me to contact her or hook the two of you up just let me know. Otherwise I'm pretty darn igernant. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Dear Chas,

Mrs Gray and I have 3 wonderful children that we (she) homeschooled the whole way. Yes, we did outside classes plenty of activities - but the emphasis was at home.

We had our reasons at the time for homeschooling, and they were as valid to us then as they are now.

We "sensed" that it was the right thing for them. So, we did it.

Each child/person has his or her own pace and learning style. Homeschool can accomodate that for each person.

In the early years, like you mention - I think one of the things you learn is how to help your child in the learning process. It is more about you discovering the kind of learner/performer that your child is - rather than giving them a "head start" so as to speak. Taking time to to explore different styles, content, presentation aids, etc... can be of tremendous help to you *later* in determining the best way to help them.

Why? Well, time with our own children is still precious. Time with them - early in life - when learning was exciting FOR THEM, kept them wanting to learn - for a life time. And, I think that is a huge step towards a "good" outcome.