GreaseSpot Cafe

Promises?

CM

What are some of the promises that are not believed, or not believed to be fulfilled.

What are some of the promises that are confusing?

What are some of the promises that we have seen happen?

Is there any help out there?

Just for the sake of discussion and learning from each other.

The question of "promises" was also one posed to Jean of Arc by her inquisitors at her trial.

Have you ever seen the Criterion edition of lost silent classic, "The Passion of Joan of Arc"? (1927) - the original movie negative was lost to fire and censorship, but a pristine print of this original was rediscovered in a closet of an Oslo mental institution in 1981.

It is the most profound, most beautiful, most "spiritual" movie I have ever experienced.

Danny

quote:
Originally posted by CM:

Thanks for your input Danny.

As always it's welcome.

But my heart is not to put anyone on trial as you probably know. But to really take a closer look at what God has done for us, and to see it more clearly.

Love

Despite my delay, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post; indeed, the thought never entered my mind that you putting anyone on trial.

I had recently viewed the aforementioned movie in which an inquisition questioned Joan of Arc as to what God had promised her (they didn't take kindly to the notion that God gave anybody anything outside the pale of their church).

It all leads me to consider anew these things promised by Jesus:

"...they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my sake...and I shall give to you a mouth of wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist..."

Some thoughout history have certainly received these things.

These are the kind of "promises" people usually don't like to discuss.

Or print on imitation checkbooks.

To be put on trial for one's "faith", under the threat of death, and becoming burned at the stake.

What a rush that must be.

Danny

yeah....

also the internal battle that has to be dealt with, i tell ya sometimes things aren't as ideal as i would like.

"prosper and be in good health even as thy soul prospereth"

my soul is going through some struggles...

getting that straight ain't easy...

but a lot of the other promises help though

It seems there isn't a day that goes by where one doesn't encounter struggles from within and without. We desperately yearn for certainty, though through "faith" which can at times feel to us as nothing more than the thinnest thread somehow keeping us connected to the Unseen.

The storms will never cease in this world, but you'll get through them....

Danny