GreaseSpot Cafe

South Beach Diet

Nottawayfer

I know we've sepnt time discussing diets here. I've had my ups and downs with weight in my life. Hubby and I are going to Mexico (AGAIN!!! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->) in October, and we are doing the South Beach diet to help us feel a little less uncomfortable about being in public in a bathing suit.

We are doing really good so far (in 3 weeks). He has lost 14 pounds, and I lost 11 pounds.

The first week was really difficult for me. The diet has 3 phases: Phase 1 which is stringent on any carbs (except fresh vegetables)to help get insulin levels balanced out in your body. Phase 2 allows you to add more carbs (fruits, whole grains, etc.) It is not a low carb nor a low fat diet. It teaches eating low glycemic index foods which help to control insulin levels. I guess high insulin levels are a major contriubtor to belly fat.

Anybody else doing this diet? I would like to have someone else to share recipes and ideas with while doing it. I am too cheap to pay for this on e-diets...LOL.

WayferNot, I did South Beath Diet awhile back, too. I lost 14 lbs, then got bored with it about 6 weeks into it, but maintained some of the habits I'd started with it. I expected I would gain all the weight back as with most diets I'd done in the past. But I continued to lose 1/2 lb a week!

I'm ready to restart phase one. As to recipes, check out the library, you can get the recipe book from the library and try some of those-- the nut bread is delicious! I don't have any recipes on my puter and it takes me too long to type em out, but you can find some recipes on the free on-line recipe sites. Do a search for low-carb recipes and low fat recipes, and alter them as needed. (example, if it's low carb and tells you to use bacon, use turkey bacon, fat-free sour cream for normal sour cream, etc)

Have you tried the califlower mashed taters?-- VERY GOOD!

Good luck to ya!

I'll keep checking in on ya here!

I haven't tried the Califlauer mashed taters yet. I bought a head of Cauli yesterday, so we will try it soon.

We really like the pancakes (oatmeal, cottage cheese, egg whites, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmet). I couldn't believe how good they were. I bought some sugar free seedless blackberry jam to put on them.....yum!!

I also really like meat sauce on spaghetti squash.

We are trying the recipes in the book, but we need some new stuff so we don't get bored. So far it's been about a month, and it feels like it's part of my life now. I'm not craving things, but then again, sugar free fudgesicles are saving me.... icon_biggrin.gif:D-->