GreaseSpot Cafe

How Long is a twinkling of an eye to God

year2027

God the Father first

How Long is a twinkling of an eye to God

Beloved All

If a day to God is a 1,000 years then how long is a twinkling of an eye to God?

Just a little question to begin with but here another.

Read the verse first

John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

How can the hour be now and be coming unless there are two periods of time when the dead will hear the voice of Christ?

Maybe one for the dead in Christ the believers waiting for the first coming of Christ and the other for the alive in Christ the believers waiting for the second coming of Christ.

With love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

Roy, that is a deep subject that you bring up. I think one thing to consider is that time is, in all likelihood, not a constraint or a restriction to God in any way. Our perception of time and space is not the same as God's. I don't pretend to be able to perceive it from God's perspective, but I can perceive the difference and recognize that its there. Remember the verse in 1 Cor 13: "now we see through a glass, darkly?"

In regards to your second point, the greek word "hora" is a little more generic than "hour," as it is used in that citation from the Gospel of St. John. It should be considered a generic unit of time and its meaning should be gotten from the context where its stated.

But as to the content, please observe the following verses from the Gospel of St. Matthew (27:51ff)

And behold, the veil of the sanctuary was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth quaked, rocks were split, tombs were opened, and the bodies of many saints who had fallen asleep were raised. And coming forth from their tombs after his resurrection, they entered the holy city and appeared to many.

Consider the story of Lazarus, also.

Didn't those occurrences happen in the same "season" (unit of time) in which the Lord spoke those words you quoted?

Then you can consider the new birth? Were we not all dead in trespasses and sins? Did we not hear the word of the Lord and lived?

Then you can consider the general resurrection? Are we not promised that the dead in Christ shall rise?

To me, that sounds like an hour coming (and now is).

I've always been fascinated by the greek word behind "in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye..." in 1 Corinthians 15:52; the word for "moment" being atomos, which immediately provokes the image in my mind of a school classroom "atom" model (lol).

The usual Greek dictionary meaning is "uncut, indivisible," but I still prefer the mental image of that atom model.

:)

Roy, that is a deep subject that you bring up. I think one thing to consider is that time is, in all likelihood, not a constraint or a restriction to God in any way. Our perception of time and space is not the same as God's. I don't pretend to be able to perceive it from God's perspective, but I can perceive the difference and recognize that its there. Remember the verse in 1 Cor 13: "now we see through a glass, darkly?"

Excellent point. Perception is so critical. I love that it just came up again. Most awesome Mark.

In regards to your second point, the greek word "hora" is a little more generic than "hour," as it is used in that citation from the Gospel of St. John. It should be considered a generic unit of time and its meaning should be gotten from the context where its stated.

But as to the content, please observe the following verses from the Gospel of St. Matthew (27:51ff)

And behold, the veil of the sanctuary was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth quaked, rocks were split, tombs were opened, and the bodies of many saints who had fallen asleep were raised. And coming forth from their tombs after his resurrection, they entered the holy city and appeared to many.

Consider the story of Lazarus, also.

Didn't those occurrences happen in the same "season" (unit of time) in which the Lord spoke those words you quoted?

Certainly, it still falls to God’s unit of time as to when these things will take place.

Then you can consider the new birth? Were we not all dead in trespasses and sins? Did we not hear the word of the Lord and lived?

Then you can consider the general resurrection? Are we not promised that the dead in Christ shall rise?

To me, that sounds like an hour coming (and now is).

I consider that to be one of the many promises. Yeah I know twi taught it but you know how I feel about that. There was good in their stuff, I never argued doctrine to any length at all, not really. Although I may more so today. But it is still a promise of God. How and when he does it I've long ago resigned myself to not being mine to know. But the Word supports and that is hard to argue.