GreaseSpot Cafe

Would you use a free open souce windows OS?

ckeer

I stumbled across a mention of the

React OS Project a free ware OS that is supposed to be able to run any Windows XP application.

It is in the early development stages- but it sounds interesting- If comes to fruition do you think you'd try it out and maybe change over?

I hope the moderators can change the spelling on the Topic- I'm Soooooo Embarressed :redface:

Edited by pawtucket

I haven't heard of this one!! It is in development. If you have a 2nd computer that you are willing to experiment with, then by all means download it and try it.

I wouldn't give up your main system just yet. Systems like this or Linux are not as user friendly as Microsoft or Apple. So you need to be prepared for much tedious time to get it to work.

But that said, it is much fun to play with a new system that can possibly replace something like Microsoft.

• 6 months later...

Ok workin on putting react in a machine.

had to pull a pentium 3 motherboard and put in a p2 cuz the power button fails.

Will let you know.

I did get it installed but when I turned it off i couldn't turn it on again...lol

p3 160 ram 3 gig hard drive

smokin huh :)

I'll also see if word 2002 will run on it

Edited by dancing

Ok got react up and running but it will not recognize and load drivers.

I have loaded Kubuntu - runnung from the disk and it has drivers for everything on the machine

So so far without winxp i've been able to get on the internet quickly.

With windowsxp and Kubuntu it was much slower,

It is an unactivated copy of winxp without sp2.

Tryed it with sp2 and it was worse.

I think you have to know some programing and have drivers for everything on the comp for react to work properly-not sure. But i had these old computers and its kind of fun to play with them, Like working on an old car or something. lol

Both computers were given to me, so no money involved. And i couldn't see putting $90 towards another copy of win xp on it. although winxp worked very well on this machine.

Posting from the kubuntu live cd now.

Any advice on react is welcome cuz i really like it better then kubuntu because it is faster.

Edited by dancing

ok still haven't figured out reactos. Would like to but no biggy, haven't tried windows based programs yet on it. I was more interested in internet access.

It's a Micro1 motherboard with a p3 450.

And micro1 doesn't offer support that i could find.

Searching for drivers for this is nuts,

unless you want to pay for some sort of driver upgrade program.

But I'm against that unless it's highly recommened by those I know that they know what they are talking about.

Then there are places like driverguide and others that you have to be a member of to download drivers. Of course you would have to know what your machine has on it...HA! Should of seen the size of the sound card i pulled out! it plugged into one of those long brown slots at the bottom of the machine. Had to pull it cuz none of the linux stuff saw it...lol.

Kubuntu worked ok but slow and jumpy, but i could get on the internet withit.

Gentoo is a much better system and still free, it's faster and better and more programs on it. These are Linux os btw, figured you guys knew that. The problem with Linux is they will not run windowsxp programs. But Gentoo has some basic programs that are similar, as well kubuntu or unbuntu..whatever...lol.

Still nothing beats xp. That react looks good, if i could only figure a way to load the drivers, which are windows based mostly. They have a small list of compatable hrdware on their site but not the drivers.

Anyways, got a machine with decent speed, internet access, running gentoo's live cd (and the files of gentoo will fill up a cd-rw). So $0 invested for the whole project except the cost of one cd-rw. Not bad i think.