GreaseSpot Cafe

Your stories of finding the right church for you.

I have attended (and joined) Assembly of God, Baptist, and a couple of non-denomination charismatic churches, and enjoyed it all, learning about other corners of the sheepfold so to speak.

My favorite now is Catholic. I have found them to be most humble and interested in helping people (not just preaching to them). It's Catholics that build schools and hospitals, provide sanitation and running water and opportunities for people to have busineses (giving a family a sheep or cow or goat to start off with in their self-improvement). It seems to me that now, at long last, my tithe (whatever you want to call charitable giving) is really helping people have a better life. That to me is a great blessing.

It seemed to me that for our recent disasters, Katrina and in Florida, the most efficient and really helpful personal help came from Christian groups that pitched in and gave of their time and life and resources. that was neat to see.

One dear true-Christian friend in Louisiana had listened to the Lord and "had plenty of water and food for everyone." I just think Christians should be being about the business of helping out people along the way.

Hopefully,

I decided to join in with the Womens Bible Fellowship at my church. I figured I needed to get in and meet and fellowship with the women at my church.

It starts at 9am-11:30am. The first hour was talking and getting to know one another with food that anyone could bring. I saw the love in these women and how they really love the Word. It was pretty cool to see that!

There's about 30 women that go, and not all are from my church. They come from various different churches.

We are studying the book of 2 Corinthians. It's a teaching series of The Joy of Living Bible Studies. The Commentary by Anne Walls. It's GREAT!! I'm so glad I'm doing this. I've been truly blesssed to see how Paul addressed the church on certain issues and how he did his best to live the life of Christ.

Here's something I wanted to share with you:

Leonardo da Vinci had started had started work on a large canvas in his studio. For awhile he worked at it--choosing the subject, planning the perspective, sketching the outline, applying the colors, with his inimitable genious. The suddenlt he ceased, the painting still unfinished, and, summoning one of his students, invited him to complete the work. The student protested that he was unworthy and unable to complete the great painting which his master had begun. But da Vinci silenced him. "Will not what I have done inspire you to do your best

"Our Master began two thousand years ago--by what he said, by what he did, and supremely by what he suffered. He illustrated his message and he has left us to finish the picture."

Paul had a good grasp on the picture that our Lord Jesus Christ had begun and was determined to do his part in helping to finish it.

You know.... I may not be totally correct on everything, but I do know that we need to finish what Jesus started and do it to the best of our knowledge. I've put a lot of what twi taught me behind. it's time to move forward again and do what I've always wanted to do in the first place.... To help finish his picture.

:wave:

SunnyFla.

• 3 weeks later...

Mark,

Thanks so much for post #5. It contains many good points to consider when trying to find an understanding as to "what feels right" to belive.

I joined a Bible Study. All I can say is, "this is tough!".

Many of the teachings of the church go along with Dorothy Moore, Joyce Myers and Rev. Stanley. That's ok by me, I guess. I mean... afterall... I have listened to all three of these preachers, sometimes on a regular basis, since leaving twi.

But even something as simple as a bible study gets all bunked up. The last study kept referring to the Books of Timothy. The preacher kept saying how he loved Paul so much for writing 1&2 Timothy.

Now... my Bible states that the Books of Timothy probably were not written by Paul, but by some of his faithful followers. Bottom line is: there's an argument for both sides as to the authorship.

I found myself getting caught up in the technicality of the authorship of Timothy instead of what was being taught. It was difficult to remain focused on the teaching.... but, eventually, I DID get focused. I answered many questions the leader threw out regarding scripture. I waited for others to answer first. They were simple questions... really simple questions (why was Abraham chosen?...). In the end, I let the leader answer the questions himself. I wasn't embarrassed to answer.... just didn't want to appear like I was showing off. Again, this is really tough!.

The whole bible study experience gave me an insight as to how much Word these people knew. I found myself wondering "what kind of church is this?" Found myself knowing that there's lots of room to grow in this church at any level, and that's a good thing.

I can't be bothered with trying to decipher who wrote the Books of Timothy. For now, I'm going to have to ignore clashes of thought on trivial matters. There's too much I like about this church right now.

Whether they will continue to like me remains to be seen. More than one person asked what church I used to belong to... Uhg humm....gosh, wish I would have read some of these threads which say not to tell people you were in the Way BEFORE I told people I was in the Way.

I suppose if they can't forgive me for making a mistake OR if they feel I am a threat to them... well, I suppose I'm in the wrong church then. But as a rule, from now on, I won't tell.

Penguin,

I've been out of twi since '84. Our experiences are probably very different.

You are right in your description of the group... it's just that twi had very little negative

effect on me (and you'll be wondering how I could say this when I do finally muster

the courage to post about my personal abuse, but I'll explain it when I post it).

OK...gotta admit to being confused spiritually also!

I'm glad people don't look down on you when you tell them where you've been.

I've been asked by church members "how did you get de-programmed?"

I let them know very little "programming" took place and just state that I'm in the

life-long process of reinventing my spirituality.

The outreach ministry of my church is the exact same mission of my heart.

I want to be accepted by the members not only to be part of something bigger

than myself but also, because I desire to partake in missions around the world

which are near and dear to me.

• 2 weeks later...

(I'm tired, so I'll get to the point...)

Looked for a church, fellowship, whatever.

Tried on a couple of duds. (Either the members all had blue hair, or were all closely related.... )

Finally...

Joined a local community church.

Nice people.

Good Sunday School program - Kristopher (4 years old) loves it there!

Okay teachings.

But nice people.

New pastor - just moved here from TX about 6 months ago.

Hole in his teaching - big time.

But nice people.

Pastor gets canned two weeks ago.

Guess why?....

PLAGIARISM! :nono5:

Back to square one.

THIS SUCKS!

Tell me, is there such a thing anymore as a theologian with an original thought?

OHHHH NO! :(

I'm sorry for you.

But why am I not surprised (probably because it's not my church)... but even in my own church... the pastor and his wife, instead of teaching a biblical sermon on Palm Sunday, got up and said they were basically "at the end of theirselves" that they needed a lot of prayers, that they weren't leaving the ministry, but that they were tired of saying "yes, go God!" and not feeling it in the "inside". It came across as though they were totally burned out although they made it clear they love what they do.

As strange as this testiony was, I wasn't surprised either. He gave statistics that 10,000 ministers leave the ministry every year. I dont' know where he got his numbers from and haven't checked the accuracy. He reieterated that pastoring is one of the hardest jobs in the world.

I feel really bad about your pastor leaving... was plagering something he did every week, was it a one-time thing? Do you know more about it?

Gosh darn... a church without a pastor is a tough situation, but maybe something better is to come.

BTW, good people are reason enough for me to stick around anything.

Keep us posted.