GreaseSpot Cafe

This is for Kit

onegod

All Pro Quarterback.

The Coach had put together the perfect team for the Oakland Raiders. The only thing that was missing was a good quarterback. He had scouted all the colleges, and even the high schools, but he couldn't find a ringer quarterback who could ensure a Super Bowl win.

Then one night, while watching CNN, he saw a war-zone scene in Afghanistan. In one corner of the background, he spotted a young Afghanistan soldier with a truly incredible arm. He threw a hand grenade straight into a 3rd-story window 200 yards away, ka-boom! He threw another hand grenade into a group of 10 soldiers 100 yards away, ka-blooey! Then a car passed, going 90 mph, bulls-eye!

"I've got to get this guy!" Coach said to himself. "He has the perfect arm!"

So, he brings him to the States and teaches him the great game of football, and the Raiders go on to win the Super Bowl for another time in history.

The young Afghani is hailed as the Great Hero of football, and when Coach asks him what he wants, all the young man wants to do is to call his mother.

"Mom," he says into the phone, "I just won the Super Bowl!"

"I don't want to talk to you," the old woman says. "You deserted us. You are not my son."

"I don't think you understand, Mother!" the young man pleads. "I just won the greatest sporting event in the world. I'm here among thousands

of my adoring fans."

"No, let me tell you," his mother retorts. "At this very moment, there are gunshots all around us. The neighborhood is a pile of rubble. Your

two brothers were beaten within an inch of their lives last week, and this week your sister was raped in broad daylight."

The old lady pauses, and then tearfully says, "..I'll never forgive you for making us move to Oakland."

lightbulb_onoff_lg_wht.gif

I could swear I just saw the light go on - are you sure no ones home??

Thanks onegod for thinking of me,

I have often considered that one reason why the Oakland Raiders were so tough was that in order to get to their stadium out on Heggenberger Road, one drove through those parts of the city of which you speak (San Leandro has them, too.) . . . and the players would be reminded that only winning their game would keep them out of this place during the day!

Oakland Raiders are cool!

I just wish they'd win! Jim Plunkett come back!

oakland.gif

Kit Soberangelkit.gif

The course of the bubonic plague was turned by the concept of clean.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well there was Laney College - I worked at the AGE pharmacy across the street frm the Coliseum.

"Loaded" memories -- not drug-loaded, just packed-full memories -- from the home of Hell's Angels, Black Panthers and the Way West. . . (Didn't anything good come out of Oakland?)

Son Kevin was born at the same time as the superbowl -- If he ever forgets how old he is, he can just check out the Superbowl. . .

Hopefully,

icon_smile.gif:)-->," God

Can't remember the name of the college; may have been Laney, but it was Frank Yule (sp?) Field where they played.

Wow! You worked at AGE? My mom worked there for years in the credit department until she died in 1981. When were you there? I think she started there in about 1965 or so.

And, yes! Good things have come out of Oakland - - how about us??? There were a ton of us from Oakland who got in the Word in the late 60s early 70s. I think Socks (or Mrs. Socks) is from Oakland and probably some other posters here.

I have fond memories of Lake Merritt, Knowland Zoo, Fairyland, Jack London Square restaurants, little Mexican hole in the walls that we grew up going to when I was a kid. My dad worked at 27th & Telegraph and we hung out in that area a lot!

I was just back there over the holidays visiting one of my aunts. It was great to be there. I love Oakland!

Jardinero