GreaseSpot Cafe

Help! My nails are all breaking off

waterbuffalo

Just extra time spent with your hands in water can make your nails more brittle - I had a tough time with mine when I was cleaning houses for a living - absolutely no nails!

Some simple things you can try -

Keep your hands moisturized - Alveno puts out a great 24-hour moisturizer that doesn't wash off, which I love. No perfume, no grease.

Rub olive or vegatable oil on your nails - just a little, twice a day. (I use a Burt's Bees compound for this that actually has lemon oil in it.)

Stay away from nail polish, fake nails, nail polish remover, etc. - I used to do the arcrylic nail thing when I was single and had $500/year to blow on nails (before kids!) - worst thing I coulda done! (But I looked good!)

Wear gloves when cleaning, doing dishes - any time you have your hands in water for any length of time.

Eat more protein - if you've changed your diet recently, this may be a cause. Protein doesn't have to be meat - cottage cheese, yogurt, nuts, soy, etc., if you're a vegetarian.

Take vitamin B and/or A. Glucosomine, which is also a supplement, can be taken. Yeah, you can change your diet - Jell-o (and Gelatin - same thing - Jell-o is just marketed better and tastes better - both made of horse and cows hooves) has been recommended, but personally, I'd rather pop a pill. I guess where I work in a hospital, Jell-o is just an instant turn-off, to me, anyhow...

If your nails are looking particularly blue or yellow (not due to trauma -i.e. hammer to thumb nail) - get thee to a physician!

Edited by ChasUFarley

Waterbuffalo ( and other ladies with brittle nails),

Please don't hate me. Because I am a male it is such a waste to have extra hard nails. My nails are so hard that I get white knuckles when I use the nail clippers to clip them. I would love to be give them to you or at least trade them for something I could use, like hair for instance. C'est la vie, n'est pas?

Robin

Edited by oenophile

Yes, Oeno, that is definitely LIFE!

Nope, they don't look a different color, Chas, and once in college, pond, I did gelatin and hair started growing in places you don't wanna know about. Hehe. Also, Chas, my hands are very rarely in water these days, so that couldn't be it. My cuticles are peeling to beat the band, too. Maybe I'll try lotion, which i very rarely use.

I'm pretty sure eating frozen dinners everyday at lunch has contributed to my nail condition AND gaining weight, but that's another story (I eat chocolate almost everyday--great stress reliever--and I'm sure THAT has nothing whatsoever to do with it!).

Actually, I can't take calcium tablets because they have some interesting side effects on me, and I don't do dairy. So, I just bought some OJ with calcium. My but they were expensive, but gotta start somewhere.

Also, when I used to do liquid herbs rich in iron, my nails looked good. Maybe I'll call my friend and place an order.

You're right Oeno. Life was easier when we just watched Barney and Andy.