GreaseSpot Cafe

Are we living in the best of all possible worlds?

I came across this statement in the March edition of "The American Spectator" (yes, I'm an unrepentant conservative). The article, by Paul Johnson, is about optimism and I found this particular part of the discussion intriguing.

...the world we live in is the best of all possible worlds, and we must make the best of it and improve it rather than bemoan and reject it...the trilemma: if this world is not the best possible, God must either not have known how to make it better, or not have been able to, or not have chosen to do so. The first contradicts his omniscience, the second his omnipotence, the third his benevolence...

I spent so many years beating this world out of my head because it was "fallen" and "corrupt" and ruled by the devil that I never thought much about potentially improving it. I seem to remember lots of teachings stating that the only thing that would help this world was to preach the rightly-divided truth of the word. And of course, TWI was the only ministry able to do that properly. So, all monies, talents, time and efforts should be dedicated to them. I felt it was a great sin to do otherwise.

On the whole, I think I might have missed out on a lot of opportunities, things like community sharing, donations to charitable organizations and other forms of giving that might have helped others and helped me to live a fuller life. Only recently am I starting to realize how selfish and hard I was and shut off to other possibilities.

Has anybody else ever felt like that? Do you give in ways not associated with religion? Do you think we're living in the best possible world? How does that concept jibe with biblical teachings? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

-JJ

Note: The article notes that the trilemma is associated with a guy named Leibnitz and was published in something called his "Theodicee." I haven't googled for this stuff yet.

Edited by JumpinJive

Good thread topic. American Spectator - good mag (yes, I am also conservative - don't shoot!)

You asked:

Do you give in ways not associated with religion?

Yes - via school, work (as volunteer), and even just 'random acts of kindness', if you want to call them that. I belong to several charities and clubs - all are into fundraisers, scholarships, grants, etc., so that's my outlet for giving.

=================================

Do you think we're living in the best possible world?

I don't know if we're living in "the best" of all possible worlds, as the Word says that evil seducers wax worse and worse. I think we have much better resources, healthcare, communications, etc., than our parents or grandparents had, but with every advancement comes some small price to pay. Overall, I think we are more comfortable than we deserve to be - or than we are thankful for... but I'm sure our parents also thought they had it good. I mean, how do you know what you're lacking when you think you have everything?

=================================

How does that concept jibe with biblical teachings?

Simple.

Mark 10:45

For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

Luke 8:1-3

After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; Joanna the wife of Cuza, the manager of Herod’s household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means.

Why have the best possibly world if you can't share it? What's the point? I mean, it's not like you can take it with you!

Are we living in the "best" of all possible worlds?

How the hell could we know that? All I know is that it's the only one we've got, we should treat it thoughtfully.

Do I give in non-religious venues?

Exclusively. I'll be damned if I want to build one more monument to superstition, or spread same to the "unwashed" heathen.

BTW, the trifecta that you copied pretty much follows the same reasoning I used when I reverted to agnosticism. I.e.: an "all loving", "omniscient", "all powerful", and "omnipresent" god cannot be made to conform to the reality we encounter everyday. So, we can either toss the notion as childish fantasy, OR become adept spin-doctors for the Almighty.

I tired of the later role...

Amen George! That's why I reverted too!! I just couldn't keep the concepts settled comfortably in my head any longer. I posted more on this on Chas' "Becoming Agnostic...." thread.

Thanks for posting Chas. Aren't you in MA? How do you get away with being conservative??

-JJ