GreaseSpot Cafe

Espress Yourself

Anybody out there have an espresso machine? My Krups steam espresso maker is okay for company, but I'm looking at pumps. What about pods? You like pods?

Looking at the Barista, a few Nespressos (pods only), Gaggia, maybe a better Krups. I don't need a status-conscious Capresso or Jura for the price of a small, used car. Good is good enough.

The Nespresso wasn't bad. Just not sure about the pods thing. Kind of limiting, pods. Right? Am I right? Pods limit your choices. After a couple espressos, you need choices. The more the better.

I love expresso, but the last expresso machine I got as a Christmas present was around 1987. I actually prefer Turkish coffee. Tastes like mud. Served in little cups and you shoot it straight down. At least I did. But whoo hoo what a caffine buzz.

babyrott60percent.gif

...Ain't no grave, gonna hold this body down..when I hear that trumpet sound...

p

Actually, QQ, fascinating though this topic is, I'm wondering how you took such a sudden detour from ancient sexual encounters to kitchen appliances.

Well, let's see, there was Debbie from a long time ago, the first one I ever saw nude, with the little round birthmark above her belly button that almost made me flip. Then there was Trudy or was it Judy who went straight for my zipper at the reservoir. And, let's see, I think it was Karen who buried my chest with little mounds of warm sand on the beach, while the seagulls flew in formation through the darkening sky, Venus glowing overhead. Kate was nervous. She chain smoked while I put on the music, her fingernails chewed down almost to the knuckle. Jill came to the first session of Dealing With the Adversary. I had to take her home because her car overheated in the parking lot. But boy did she come up with all sorts of angles I never even dreamed about. Then there was Lottie or was it Lattie or were we drinking a latte, damn that crummy Krups. Honey, go fetch me the Consumer Reports.

How did you get from there to here?

laleo! Wrong thread! LOL. Actually I don't mind talking about ancient sexual encounters cause I sure as hell haven't had any recent ones. I'm a good girl ya know.

But thanks for the info, very entertaining. icon_wink.gif;)-->

babyrott60percent.gif

...Ain't no grave, gonna hold this body down..when I hear that trumpet sound...

p

Rottie,

Oops. I should have put that in quotes, not that I was quoting anyone. I was trying to follow the path in the stream of consciousness that might connect coffee makers with wild sexual exploits, since the two threads appeared at once. Glad you were entertained, though.

I'm a girl. Plus I'm married. Besides I haven't so much as kissed another man in more than twenty years. I don't remember if I fumbled through the process before that or not, so I didn't answer the poll. But I am curious about espresso machines as an aphrodisiac. Does it matter which brand?

laleo, not only do you have a good memory, I hadn't realized that you're also good with figures too, or they with you. With all of the talk about Mars ascending lately, nobody noticed Venus rising in Aphrodite.

Calling an espresso machine a "kitchen appliance" is like calling nipp1e ring "hardware." It somehow misses the point, don't you think?

Let me get back to you on the convergence, or is it conjunction, or commingling? of topics.

Now I did it too. laleo, I answered you, after a fashion, on the other thread.

Espresso is a richly rewarding experience, stimulating, powerful, sensuously earthy and aromatic, much like good sex can be. It's too strong for a lot of people, but for those who love it, it's a gradually acquired awareness and appreciation, much like good sex can become.

I don't recommend it, really. My coffee is too strong for most people. Espresso would probably knock them over. (Any similar claims regarding the other topic would be much exaggerated.)

But we do reach an age, or a stage, where we come to appreciate things for which we once had no taste, things once too strong for us, and now, just right.

Expressions of espresso:

Mr. Coffee has a nice espresso machine for less than $40. We've had ours for over a year and it serves us daily.

Nice for a nice cup of coffee for the two of us. We don't need to feel obligated to drink more than just what we want, and it's always fresh.

Makes a nice affordable present, too.

p.s. aren't all espresso makers "steam"?

icon_smile.gif:)-->," God

Kit, no they aren't all steam. Like yours, my Krups is a steam version

The method makes a big difference, according to the experts. You will find higher-end espresso makers use a variety of "pumps" which create high pressure - anywhere from 8 to 19 times atmospheric pressure. The result is a better taste. It also contains fewer particulates, or at least, finer.

The other factor is steam-pressure makers heat the water -obviously- to boiling, or 212 degrees. The best espresso is made at 20 to 30 degrees cooler temperature - roughly, anyway. My memory fails right now.

But good question.

Now I see the connection, QQ. I passed on Swimming Pool last weekend, when it was showing at the Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. I opted for Bend it Like Beckham instead, and headed straight for the Chai: just a little bit steamy, but not overwhelmingly so, both spicy and mellow, and enough warmth to be comforting, with just a hint of sweetness. That?s the combination that works for me.

Anyway, glad you found your movie/coffee combination inspiring, even if you wouldn?t recommend it, though I?m sure you don?t give yourself enough credit. I don't have much to say about espresso machines. I've managed to get by with only a frother, which is great for lattes and hot chocolate. Hope you find the right machine.

Kit, here is a fine website for those who would approach the temple of espresso, with a thirst for knowledge.

laleo, how was BILB?

I acknowledge there is more to life than espresso, and chai may be just what the doctor ordered. Not for me, though.

Also, while attending the G&L film festival, you "headed straight for the chai?" Is this bit of subtlety a playful paradox, an expression of ambivalence, or a testimony to the "curative" powers of chai?

I didn't attend the film festival. Remember? I saw Bend it like Beckham (which is one of those "coming of age" movies, sort of playful and innocent and amusing, and goes well with Chai). At a different theater. Swimming Pool -- which is what you saw -- was one of the movies at the festival, which I only know because I read the movie listings, except they didn't tell me the movie (and/or the coffee) would be "stimulating, powerful, sensuously earthy, and aromatic." Heck, that might have changed everything.

I haven't given a lot of thought to the ambivalence, paradox, and testimony of coffee equipment at movie theaters, but maybe it's worth exploring.

Ohhhhhh.

Now laleo, you know what you meant when you wrote that, but couldn't it be interpreted to mean that both movies were playing at the L&G festival, and you opted for playful, innocent, and amusing fare?

On the other hand, I don't think I described Swimming Pool in those terms you've quoted, only the espresso. What we have here is confusion! In fact, I've yet to see an "aromatic" movie. Pungent, yes. Stinky ones? Absolutely. Aromatic, not yet.

None of those things are worth exploring. Some are worth seeing and/or drinking.

By the way, I'm still trying to figure out what Swimming Pool had to offer that particular festival. Any ideas? Uh. Never mind. I figured it out, and it's not what people might think. More to do with murder, of whom, by whom.

quote:
Espresso is a richly rewarding experience, stimulating, powerful, sensuously earthy and aromatic, much like good sex can be. It's too strong for a lot of people, but for those who love it, it's a gradually acquired awareness and appreciation, much like good sex can become.

...To loosely paraphrase from "When Harry Met Sally", "I'll have what he's having!"

Jardinero

Okay, I think I need to back up a few posts. My ambiguity is unintentional. When I first looked at your two threads I had this image of being in a group of people and there's this one guy talking about his coffee pot: "Yeah, I'm in the market for a new espresso maker, you know, I figured it was time to replace my old steam variety with one of those pump mechanisms and I was wondering about the pods and how many sexual partners you've had and whether I should go for the upscale variety or save my money and get one at WalMart. What do you think?"

Classic "QamiQazi." Sort of nonchalantly inserting an emotionally complex question into an otherwise routine conversation. That's all. It was entertaining.

I recognized the movie title -- Swimming Pool -- because I almost saw it, but went to another theater instead. Swimming Pool got good reviews, at least in my local paper. The reviewer wasn't sure why it was at the film festival either.

Anyway, I'm out of my league with this espresso stuff, although I'm enjoying your descriptions, disorienting as they may be. Where am I? What were we talking about?

[This message was edited by laleo on August 05, 2003 at 22:41.]