GreaseSpot Cafe

Dictionaries and other resources

I thought this might be a nice place for good resource materials.

Another thread with a Merriam-Webster definition reminded me that those definitions do change. . .

Webster was a great Christian, and a facsimile version of the dictionary he authored is available.

Webster's 1828 Facsimile Dictionary

Also there is a facsimile of the KJV available which includes, among other things, the complete introduction and preface remarks which the translators included -- So reverent and thankful. I love it. (of course I have given away both copies purchased over the years. But hope springs eternal that I'll get it again.)

• 4 weeks later...

CBD (Christian Book Distributors) a discount Bible house has the Webster's facsimile dictionary, in addition to tons of other stuff.

quote:
Webster's American Dictionary of the English Language, Facsimile 1828 Edition

By: Noah Webster

Retail Price: $65.00

CBD Price: $54.99

You Save $10.01 (15%)

CBD Stock Number: WW9803X

Availability: In Stock

Description: Noah Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language was produced during the years when the American home, church and school were established upon a Biblical and patriotic basis. Webster made important contributions to an American educational system which kept the nation on a Christian Constitutional course for many years.

It is not surprising, therefore, that the 1828 American Dictionary should contain the greatest number of Biblical definitions given in any reference volume. Webster considered "education useless without the Bible" and while he cautioned against too extensive use of the Bible in schools as "tending to irreverance," he reiterated, "In my view, the Christian religion is the most important and one of the first things in which all children, under a freegovernment, ought to be instructed... No truth is more evident to my mind than that the Christian religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people..."

Kit

Further research over at CBD shows that they are going to have the Webster's 1828 facsimile dictionary on CD in January 2005 for about $30.

TSRTS: I don't know other than what I posted above. David Anderson (See the Oxygenated Water thread) is the one who told me about this version, and he uses it a lot. I expect that the book itself has a nice Introduction (like the facsimile of the KJV).

Dave probably knows a lot about it because he's that kind of guy.

Kit