GreaseSpot Cafe

3:00 p.m. A National Moment of Remembrance

jardinero

Memorial Day: May 29, 2006

A National Moment of Remembrance

May of 1997 saw the start of what is becoming an American tradition recognized by the President and Members of Congress -- to put the "memorial" back in Memorial Day. The idea of a National Moment of Remembrance was born a year earlier when children touring Lafayette Park in Washington, DC were asked what Memorial Day meant and they responded, "That's the day the pools open!"

The "Moment" was initiated by No Greater Love, a Washington, DC-based national humanitarian organization. For the first time in U.S. history, on Memorial Day 1997 "Taps" was played at 3 p.m. in many locations and at events throughout America. This effort was repeated again in 1998 and 1999.

The objective of the "Moment" is to raise Americans' awareness of the honorable contributions made by those who died while defending our nation and to encourage all Americans to honor those who died as a result of service to this nation by pausing for one minute at 3:00 p.m. (local time) on Memorial Day.

tombofunk.jpg

tombwcasket.jpg

Taps

Day is done

Gone the sun

From the lakes

From the hills

From the sky.

All is well,

Safely rest.

God is nigh.

Fading light

Dims the sight

And a star

Gems the sky,

Gleaming bright

From afar,

Drawing nigh,

Falls the night.

Thanks and praise,

For our days,

Neath the sun,

Neath the stars,

Neath the sky,

As we go,

This we know,

God is nigh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you'd like to pay tribute to someone who died in military service or to a military veteran, please do so below. (Please leave political commentary to the political threads and respect this thread as a thread of tribute, honor and remembrance.)

Edited by jardinero

O.K. Here are mine:

Gregorio Sanchez (1915-2004), my eldest uncle was a POW in the Philippines and Japan for approx. 3 ½ years - - from April 9, 1942 until sometime after the end of WWII. He was an Army sergeant, Artillery – and was a part of the Bataan Death March. We buried him 2 years ago Labor Day Weekend in Arlington National Cemetary.

Francisco Aguilar Jimenez (1925-1980), my father, served two tours of duty in the Coast Guard in the Pacific during WWII as a Pharmacist Mate.

W. C. Greenwell, Sr. (my father-in-law), Lt. Colonel Army; two tours of duty in Korean War; Purple Heart recipient.

(Brother-in-law: 2 tours in Viet Nam/Navy; Niece #1: Navy Search & Rescue diver and her husband Special Forces/Green Beret Global War on Terrorism Afganistan & Iraq, multiple tours; Niece #2: Navy jet mechanic; Niece #3: Active/E5 Air Force and her husband active E5 Air Force; Niece #4: Army #2, Persian Gulf War/1 tour and her husband Active E5 Army in Korea)

Thank you all for your service. In memory of my uncle and father. Special thanks to my father-in-law and the others who have recently resigned their service.

My special thoughts and prayers to my family members still active and away from home. We love you and miss you terribly.

J.

I have lots of family members who were in the military - I have 9 brothers and sisters - all but 2 of us went into either the Navy or the Army. The 2 of us who didn't serve tried to enlist - I had had tried to enlist in the Air Force, and my brother who also didn't go had tried to enlist in the Army.

Two of my brothers served in Vietnam - they n-e-v-e-r talk about it. Period. I'm proud of them nonetheless - they both volunteered - not drafted - for service. God bless them!

Two of my sisters were serving during Desert Storm - one was doing sea duty (Navy), the other in communications in the Army. They're both no longer in active service but both had some serious fruit salad on their lapels from the honors they received. I'm proud of them, too!

Today, I have seven nieces and nephews serving, and one brother-in-law who is in Iraq. I pray for them everyday. I can't say that I understand all the ins-and-outs of the war - it seems like such a waste of our young people, time, money, resources, etc. - but I certainly support our troops. No question.

The price of freedom is paid in blood, it seems. It's never the blood of the politicians' sons and daughters, nieces and nephews - it's by the blood of Joe American's family - the blue collar worker and some white collar workers - they secure our freedom in places no one else would dare to set foot! My gratitude to them and their service is beyond words!