GreaseSpot Cafe

America wins again

rhino

It was 1976, the tasting was in Paris, and wine from the New World was considered no better than cheap Retsina. Imagine the heart-stopping moment, then, when nine experts, all French :redface: , ruled that Californian wine was superior.

Article on the rematch

Now we just need more midwest wineries to get up to speed. :beer: OK, wine shouldn't have froth like those smilies have, and most people don't drink it from a mug :)

Edited by rhino

The 1976 Paris wine tasting was the watershed event the forced the wine world to concede that California is a serious viticultural region and was quite capable of producing wines of classic structure and that not only rivaled but on some occasions surpassed wines from the hallowed vineyards of Europe. Before that time California wines endured such scoffing as " it's a California wine but I think you will be amused by its presumptions." Northern California, blessed with a Mediterrean climate, soil, slope of the land in the best vineyards which provide good drainage as well as good exposure (more sun, riper grapes, better wine) was always capable of producing world class wine. What was lacking was the recognition.

The best of California not only continues to challenge the best of Europe but is itself becoming challenged by the best of Oregon, Washington State, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, Austrailia, New Zealand, Hungary and an ever increasing list of new arrivals on the wine scene. It's only a matter of time before not only the Midwest but other areas of the country produce wines of similar distinction. Today, I tasted a Texas Syrah that I thought was one of the best that I have ever tasted including Penfold's Grange from Australia and J.L. Chave Hermitage from France's Northern Rhone.

European countries have had at least two millenia to determine which grape varietals grow best in what regions, which vineyards within a region, commune or village produce wines of the first order. This process of experimentation is becoming crystallized in California, Austrailia and is just beginning in other viticultural regions. The result will be a plethora of fine wines and even classic wines from heretofore unheralded regions. Who benefits? Wine lovers everywhere benefit with more choices and better prices.

In the red category, a Stag's Leap Cabernet-Sauvignon 1973, now unobtainable, beat names such as Chateau Mouton-Rothschild 1973 (now roughly £100 a bottle).

I would offer a word of caution to those who would write off the best of French wine as inferior to the best of California based on the 1976 tasting. Questions do arise as to the validity of that argument that appeals to this tasting for validity. The most obvious question is, was the 1973 vintage year equally as kind to Bordeaux as it was to California.? Both Stags Leap and Chateau Mouton Rothschild will always make wines that are at least good. They will make wines very good to stellar depending on the climatic as well as other natural circumstances encountered on any given vintage year. A tasting of the 1982 vintage from the same producers would yield a dramatically different result. Trust me.

Cheers!

Robin

Edited by oenophile

The article I linked to said the recent test included the same wines as '76 plus many new wines.

The expert I talked with from Perdue thought it was the quality winemaker most needed for the midwest, but they are making headway. Getting grapes delievered on time in the best condition is a challenge here too, even if they are "perfect" when they are on the vine. On the other hand smaller wineries have the chance to do more "handcrafting" perhaps.

I think the added joy of buying from a place where you have visited and seen the grapes growing makes the wine taste better. :) If it is local you can also participate in events at the winery and be more involved in the wine. I guess it might be OK to sin now and then and buy some Aussie wine. :)

Edited by rhino

Bill,

I am all for supporting local wineries. Besides producing some excellent wine like the Texas Syrah I tasted yesterday, they pay my bills. Visiting local wineries is probably the best way to begin one's wine education.

My point in my post above is that they are LOTS of areas that have the capacity to produce world class wines. It is a matter of time that the wineries along the 45th paralell in Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota find through experimentation in vineyard management, winemaking (vinification) and aging (copperage) that will produce world class wines just like other regions such as Bordeaux and Burgundy that hug the same line of latitude.

Regarding more recent vintages of some the best New World wines rating higher than some of their European counterparts, I do take notice of that fact. However, it would be misleading to suggest that they consistently exceed the wines from Europes most celebrated domaines, chateaux, weinguts and negociants from year to year. It would also be equally misleading to suggest the reverse.

Wine making skills are very important in producing quality wines but so is vineyard management, climate, soil

and exposure. Afterall, it does take the best grapes to produce the best wines. As we Southerners are wont to say, "you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear, no matter how good a pursemaker you are."

Cheers and a votre sante,

Robin

Let's Go 'Canes!!!

Edited by oenophile

robin you have a handle on wine! can you recommend an inexpensive sherry for me? thanks

I'll do my best. Do you prefer dry or sweet? Full or light bodied? How inexpensive? I like Lustau sherries. Typically, Lustau is easy to find in most wine and spirit shops. I prefer the fino style which is dry and light which makes a nice before meal aperitif. Also, finos pair nice with olives which make a nice appetizer dish.

Wow. I must weigh in here. I will offer you no pretensions of any knowledge of wines, although I will say that I like dry wine over "sweet wines". I like a good Merlot or a Chianti, for instance, but I shant say I could tell you a good brand or year over another...

but I am soooo happy to hear of an American wine winning out yet again. When I first heard of an American wine being chosen by French judges as the best of the best that year, I just cracked up and pumped my fist in the air. Yeah yeah, I know that that sounds very "Happy Gilmore-ish" and "Ugly American-ish". But if it wasn't for the disdain that the French have for we Yanks, I probably would not have had the same "fist pumping attitude". I have also enjoyed the fact that Lance Armstrong, not only an American, but a Texan with only one testicle, has bested the French at their own game! Think of it, " a one nut Texan" winning the Tour De "Fronce" more times than any one in history! Yeah, stick it to those Frenchies!

Sorry. but, "pride goeth before a fall", and the French have smeared our American names in the mud too many times, and I am glad that our wine rates with their wines. And I do not discount the fact that they have undoubtedly put out the finest of wines for centuries, but, for the "Ugly Americans" to win once in awhile, brings a certain "malicious glee' to mine heart! :dance: I was born in Collyfornya by George, and that makes me proud...