GreaseSpot Cafe

Beating up on Peoria

Lifted Up

No one outside of Peoria or Sioux Falls (okay, maybe Sioux City, Omaha, Evansville, Fort Wayne, Rockford, Wheeling, Lexington, or Bloomington also) will know what I am talking about, so this thread will probably get zero responses. Anyway, 71-0 last night. What is a shutout in indoor football anyway? Good players, great management, great coach (Kurtiss Riggs). Maybe he will go on to bigger things, like the coach of our basketball team (Flip Saunders) did several years back.

Oh, of course no one should get credit for a beating up. But they are defending league champs, and unbeaten (11-0) so far this season.

• 1 month later...

The Sioux Falls Storm is now 16-0 after beating Evansville the day before yesterday. Left is only United Bowl II...the United Indoor Football championship...here Saturday evening.

Okay, so it's a couple steps below the Arena League...still, unbeaten means something. It hasnt come by domination either, except in a couple cases like the above, but that was against a winless team. The Storm were down in several games, including Sundays semis...down by 8 in the second half then. Several comebacks have been needed, and they've dome it every time. Last stop is against Lexington, who beat us two years ago in the NIFL championship game, but who we beat on their ground in the semis last year in the first year of the new league.

OK, let the "big deal"s start flying.

Pretty close to Arena League rules I think. Some relatively minor differences, mainly on penalties and ball placements after touchbacks, etc....and no rebound pass catching like I've seen in a couple Arena League games. But the field is the same, as are the basic rules.

Much of the fun for us (me and my disabled son) comes from being in the front, about 5 yards from midfield no less. We get an occasional football, which we can keep, and have had a couple players wind up in our laps...but we have to throw those back.

More fun comes from the team being well run...not just the winning, though that helps, but well managed on and off the field. Just like our basketball tesm, the Skyforce, also generally winners. Our baseball tesm, the canaries, hasn't been winning, but is still well run...good attendance for some reason.

WOW!

That sounds like a great game!

72-68

Great googly moogly

8 TD passes, without your leading rusher in the game?

The Storm had driven to the 12-yard line, and Bryant was flushed out of the pocket, with Holmlund cutting across the back of the end zone. Bryant’s throw sailed high, and Holmlund sprung up and back, most of his body hanging out of the field of play. With one hand he corralled the ball and went over the wall. The referee raced over and found Holmlund lying in a pile with the ball.

That put the Storm up 72-58 with 1:30 remaining,

Sounds like one heckuva a game to me...

congrats-enjoy the moment

• 8 months later...

Five games into the new season...the first four on the road...The Storm is still unbeaten,,,25 straight now. First home game sold out...arena only hold 5 thousand. The swamped billings 51-18; Billings was the champ last year of the NIFL...the league the Storm used to be in.

• 3 weeks later...

Just made it 27 straight to tie the win streak record for any pro football team. I know, the higher ups ignore this level, but I betchya the Storm could compete with a lot of arena teams. What amazes me is why we still have out MVP quarterback Terrance Bryant...as the opposing Lexington coach said after last years title game, he should be playing at a higher level.

• 3 weeks later...