GreaseSpot Cafe

Fireflies, crickets, and shooting stars.........

Cowgirl

Cowgirl,

I agree with you. I hear it. I don't know what it is, but I definitely hear it.

Pefect song and picture for the mood I'm in.

I'd bet my last beer on David's response.

Mandolin.... not being musically inclined (obviously) but have heard it referred to in describing the wind in songs.

What is that song?

No matter... feeling completely too mellow to try to think of things I can't think of.

Summer is definitely here, that for sure, I know.

It is good.

Awww man...

I haven't heard the crickets nor seen the fireflies in years and years! I gotta get outa this place, if it's the last thing I ever do...

Ya know, I used to go with this 20 year old indian gal from here in Alaska. And, when we took a road trip down south, her first time in the Lower 48, she kinda freaked out while we were driving along one night with the windows open. She kept thinking that there was something wrong with my car because of "that noise!" I kept saying; "What noise!" And she'd say incredulously; "That noise! Can't you hear it?" And so, I finally pulled over and turned the car off, and her eyes went wide as can be. And I said; "So. What noise are you talking about? The car is off now. You're not talking about the noise out the window are you?"

And she said; "Well, I guess I am. I thought it was the car. But what is it?" Then I said; "That, Trisha, is bugs. Crickets, katydids, and a million other bugs". And her eyes went so wide and she hugged me as if all those bugs were gonna get her as she stared out the car window on my side and said; "Bugs?" "Yup" I said; "Bugs. Crickets and katydids, and maybe even some tree frogs from time to time. And the reason that it was a constant sound as we were driving along at sixty miles an hour is because there are gazillions of 'em". And she was totally shocked and amazed. Later, during the evening when it was still light at a campground, she had me checking the bushes and catching crickets. And then, one evening in Indianna, she saw her first firefly, and was so sweet and cute about it, saying; "What was that green light?" And, having caught on to her child like wonder over things so common to me, having grown up in Maryland, said to her; "What light?" She punched me in the ribs and said; "That light! And that one over there! And that one and that one!" And so I said; "Those Trish, are fireflies. Lightning bugs. Want me to catch you one?" And I did. And pretty soon, both of us were catching them, and then letting them climb up our fingers to fly away again like a lady bug. Later I showed her the "Lady bug lady bug, fly away home" thing, much to her sweet delight..

Hey Cowgirl, thanks for stirring up the memories... :wave:

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Last night I watched a firefly dance around our giant schnauzer's head while he laid lazily under the tree that shades him during the day, but it was toward the end of sundown and I made a mental note to remember to learn how to use the DVD recorder. Fireflies always remind me of happy days in my childhood.

I'm pitching the tent in the backyard for a campout night this week. Yep, summer's definitely here, here in MO.

There is a phenomenon here in the smoky mountains happening this week. There is a species of fireflies that during mating season they all blink at the same time--really a sight to see. I'll be taking the kids on the trolley into the national park later this week to watch. I'm told that there are only two other places in the world that this happens.

Edited by AHAT4JC

True Firefly Story....

It was summer, around the year 1999(?). My kids, mom-in-law, and I had spent a wonder-filled day at Cades Cove, TN, in the Smokies. (Below Gatlinburg...lots of deer and quite a few bears.) We were winding our way up the mountain toward Newfound Gap heading back to NC. Both kids are in the back of the van looking out the rear window and made a comment about the fireflies. I pull over and turn off all the lights. It is pitch black; no other cars are around.

And what a sight to behold!!!!! No kidding!!!!! There were 100s of fireflies all around us..literally 100s!!! There were everywhere!!! It was like a nature's Disneyland. Surreal, I do declare!!

Later that summer I was relaying the incident to a Smokies Park Ranger. He stated that some insect guys were observing fireflies that year because of something happening with the fireflies mating. Well...I'd say those fireflies were definitely busy at lighting some flames!!!

"Fireflies, crickets and shooting stars..."

Here in Arkinsaw we have fireflies and shooting stars and we brave the mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers to enjoy them.

Unfortunately, the copperheads ate the crickets.

As a Scout leader, I gotta pitch that tent anyway...but I love every minute of it.

Amazing grace, the song is "Fireflies" by Faith Hill

I love Bagpipes, I must say that's pretty incredible! I'll share a little incident with you that's kinda similiar about the fireflies. I was out on a run at sunset, in the woods, I was quite aways in, I think 2 and half miles, it was getting dark and I tripped over some root and dropped my key remote on the ground. I searched and searched for that thing and couldn't find it anywhere, found it the next day, (had to get another ride home) it was under some bush, by the time I stopped looking for it, it was dark and I was still 2 and half miles in the middle of the forest, I start running back, but honest to god, I could barely pick out the trail, so I prayed about me getting out of there safely and within about 3 minutes as I was running I could see all these small lights , hundreds of them lining each side of the trail, I couldn't believe it, it was fireflies and because there were so many of them I could pick out the trail and make it out of there safely, there's more to the story but i just wanted to share about the firefly incident.

Ron, what in tarnation are "chiggers?" :blink:

Do any of you guys get (not sure of the spelling) secadas ? Supposedly they rub their legs together to make this incredible sound, almost like a sizzling or electricity sound kinda like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, oh forget it, I can't make the sound but you would definitely know it if you heard it :)

Cowgirl

Sooooooooo cool Cowgirl!!!!! Nature's trail lights!! What a neat story!!!

Cicada are the little insects. Katydids are another one. I've always thought they were the same thing but I'm not edumatcated about it. I just call them all "night sounds." And it can get quite volumous here in NC.

Sings me to sleep on the porch.

Chiggers are an annoying little parasite-like insect that makes makes one itch and forms an ugly pimple like bump. I think they get under the skin. Ron can maybe educate us more. If I recollect, the little boogers are easy to pick up after sitting on logs.

And of course there are the itchy plants around here poison ivy and oak...and stinging nettle. Stinging nettle- one touch and feels like you've been bit by fire ants...and yucko the blisters!!

When I was a kid, my Mom used to quiz me with "Insect flashcards" because I liked bugs so much. And, I became fairly edjumacated abou them. Cicadas (correct spelling) do not make their sound by rubbing their legs together. It is some internal mechanism. I used to catch them all of the time as a kid. But when you hold them in hour hand and they start making their sound, it feels kind of like one of those "joy buzzer" gag things that you put in your palm, and then shake someones hand with. But Cowgirl your description of the sound is so on the money! And, I haven't heard those sounds for the longest time. Makes me homesick for all of those sounds I used to hear growing up in Maryland.

And Cowgirl,, cool story about the fireflies lighting your path! Sounds like a God thing. And really, I think fireflies are just another of those wonderful things God did for us, "just because".

Now, have you all ever heard of "Spring Peepers"? Spring Peepers are little tiny tree frogs that have the most wonderful "whistle" of a sound which I can imitate near perfectly. But they can be so loud if you go into the woods at night when there are hundreds of them peeping away. If you click on the lnk doo dad, there is a site where you can click and hear them.

My Webpage