GreaseSpot Cafe

New to North Carolina

likeaneagle

Eagle, welcome. I live about 5 hours from you in Hickory, located at foothills of the Blue Ridge.

• 2 weeks later...

I moved a week after the big,"Pickle Festival", I was disappointed...

I know Mt.Airy is somewhere around here..

Its very Apple Pie here..I am kind of enjoying it...

It's like stopping to smell the "Roses".....

Edited by likeaneagle

Just a bit east of Raleigh is the inauspicious town of Lizard Lick, NC ...and also not too far away is Spivey's Corner ... its claim to fame is a yearly hollerin' contest ... I have even seen footage of it on news shows on TV ... if you're interested, you may want to Google "Spivey's Corner, NC" and "Hollerin' Contest" and it should give you the dates....

If a little more culture is what you're into ... drive about 29 miles on NC 54 to Chapel Hill, home of the University of North Carolina, my alma mater. It's beautiful, particularly in the spring when all the trees are in bloom. There is an old NC State/Carolina joke that went something like this:

Question: Do you know what the difference is between CULTURE and AGRICULTURE?

Answer: 29 miles on Highway 54 (the distance between Chapel Hill and Raleigh, home of NC State, a land grant college known for its agricultural degrees, as well as many OTHER kinds of degrees ... but because of the State/Carolina rivalry, faithful Tarheel fans refer to State as a "cow college.")

Edited by ToadFriend

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I live in Greensboro. Moved here 20 years ago and then I swore I would never NEVER say "Hey". When my first child said hey, I told him we were yankees and I never wanted to hear that out of his mouth!

I LOVE NC! Just got back from the Great Smokies where we tubed in Deep Creek and rode the Great Smoky Railroad. This state is the best - mountains 1 1/2 hours a way and beach 3 hours a way. what else could you ask for in life?

J

I was in the grocery store at the checkout and I said to the cashie(HE WAS ABOUT 20 YRS), "dont forget the pop", and he bursted into a laugh an asked, "where are you from", partialy embarassed, I sad, Chicago.....another yankee!!

Oh, it is beautful here..Im closer to the ocean..

Gotta love them mountains..

Edited by likeaneagle

:) LAE...

Iffin' you want to visit "Mayberry," do come stay a night or two. We are in Mt. Airy one to two days a week. And the BR Parkway is only 1/2 hour from there.

JA...Wasn't that some of the best $5.00 you ever spent for a full day of fun and exercise to boot...tubing down Deep Creek? Hope you got a tube with a plastic seat. (hee) We visit Bryson City at least 3 times a year. Relatives there...front porch we view the Nantahala Forest. Up the street in the back we view The Smokies.