GreaseSpot Cafe

Vulgarity, rudeness, adult conversations, etc.

CoolWaters

There are 2 things I've learned over the years not to say.

FXCK YXX and GXD DXMN

I don't mind the word FXCK. I've been known to use it and I think there can actually be proper occassions where it can have effect (like throwing a grenade at someone trying to kill you in war).

I remember I was in an area where it was real popular for people to joke with a leader and with a laugh say "FXCK YXX. One assistant said it to me. I quietly explained to him that to say that to a leader was equivalent to saying,"FXCK YXX and the horse you rode in on." Pretty soon, the meekness you had with that person turns to bitterness and maybe even rebellion. I went on to say that "For all you know, the next instruction you get from that person may save your life." But your words have become your heart-felt feeling for this person and now you dismiss the instruction. Boom! ! ! you lose. We both never said it to anyone we wanted to respect, from then on.

GXD DXMN is simply a contradiction, since He doesn't and can't and won't. To use those 2 words in a sentence are as stupid as driving a motorcycle blindfolded.

Wouldn't suggest it.

Well, Y, disagree. So what? :biglaugh:

Last night I spent several hours with a good friend who can keep up with me when it comes to colorful conversation. But we were in one of Kansas City's swankiest dining rooms...and her pre-teen daughter was present. Not a single vulgarity, act of rudeness, or any other form of 'off-color' activity crept into the merriment.

To me, it's important to know with whom you are conversing.

Via this thread I found out that someone who normally does not say a thing about anybody's 'off-color' conversation is really bothered by such conversation. I wish the person had said something before...they would have been spared being made uncomfortable around me...at least on my part.

who defines the "color" or path of any conversation?

to speak freely is a gift............it yields no fear

when someone is afraid to speak openly they are afraid to be themself

and that will always cause conflict, deserved or not

ps the "twit brain" picture is cool

I think people who object to the types of things discussed here would prefer to silently withdraw rather than make others uncomfortable by voicing their objections. That's part of friendship, IMO. You treasure the times together, but if things get a little risque, and it's not your cup of tea, then you graciously excuse yourself and leave everyone else to the fun.

After leaving TWI, I was initally uncomfortable around those situations. But working with the kinds of people I did, I had to learn to get along and not be preachy. I know when to stay and I know when to leave, and I hope along the way that some have learned from my example.

I don't want anyone to be fake around me. I care most about people being real, and people who expect that out of me as well.

BTW, I got pretty good at cussing like a sailor: I just have learned when it's appropriate and when it's not.

I like "I don't give an airborne rodent's derrierre (sp?)" myself. :biglaugh:

I'm not a big fan of public vulgarity, I think most people can be a little more respectful in public places. but for me it's more the attitude than the actual language. Like, this is me, who cares what you think. With freedom, comes accountability.

What has really bothered me lately, though, is not vulgarity, but the phrases, "my baby's daddy" or "my baby's mama". I recently worked with a young woman (geez, I'm only 44, and I can't believe I'm using that phrase!) and she went into a lengthy discussion that would make Maury proud. Who's baby's daddy was making babies with who's baby's mama. I mean, a half dozen condoms would have prevented the entire conversation.

I don't know, maybe it's growing up on the back edge of women's lib and equal rights and all, but that terminology seems so...demeaning. I mean, if you're going to refer to yourself as someone's baby's mama, why not just introduce yourself as a hole? or a womb? If that's your only identification as a woman, being linked to your reproductive abilities, what can that really say about your self-esteem?

Before anyone gets up in arms about having babies outside of marriage, let me say that is not what I am concerned about. I know there are a number of reasons why people have children outside of marriage, and they're just not any of my business. What I am getting at is the self-perception of mostly young women who don't look at themselves as an entire person, taking responsibility for their actions by their language. I.e.; I had a relationship with someone and we had a baby as a result. We are no longer seeing each other and I am raising my child on my own.

Anyway, that's my rant.