GreaseSpot Cafe

Question re feeding my nursing dog

Psalm 71 one

Vegan-- thanks!! they really are sweet!! The little girl (Gertie) scoots all over now--not really walking yet, but a bit of a military crawl!! We have them in a dog crate inside a larger enclosed play pen area, and were keeping the gate open for Zippie to come and go in the room as she pleases. (And the door to the room closed, as we have two adult cats, also and I don't wanna chance them "playing" with the pups!! LOL!) But now we have to keep the gate shut--I don't wanna step on one of 'em!! :blink:

I only have one of those disposable cameras (Broke my nice one on vacation this summer :( )but I'm getting that developed and the pics put on a disc--wonder if I can post the pics here from the disk?

Dot YIKES! about the bones!! I wasn't comfortable with that anyway being that Zippie is such a scarfer. (She'll take a finger off when ya feed her a treat!! LOL! Moses politely and gently takes the treat, Zippie would steal it outa his mouth if she could!! STINKER! She's such a brat!! LOL!! . . . and maybe a

le e e e t t l e bit spoiled?? hmmmm? shhhhh!)

As to the "human grade" I thought I understood that to be yet another advertising thingy. It might have been in one of the links you gave me to read, but I had also read it some time ago, that once it leaves the "human food" area to be made into pet food, it is treated differently and may end up no longer fit for human consumption anyway. (That is not an exact quote, just what I had understood from what I read) Mainly the conclusion was to look for the words "Meat" instead of "meal", and look for the words meat to be in the first 3 ingredients, to get a fairly high quality pet food. (And know you'll pay more). The food I was feeding my pets in Baltimore wasn't in the Petsmart type stores--I was able to find it in a feed store. Here, I had been getting Nutro's Ultra Holistic food--the cats and Moses still like it, but Zippie doesn't. (It smells pretty good, too! LOL!) I am going to get the Solid Gold to try--I found a store not too far from me that carries it--I don't mind spending a bit extra for my pet's foods--and I'm still going to cook for them-- I'm really enjoying that!

((((((((((((((WW!!)))))))))))))good to see ya here!! I really liked the canidae-- how it read and all--that was a long time ago when I read about it-- probably Dot's recommendation back then, too, she's always so helpful with all of us and out pets! (((((((((((((Dot)))))))))))))) But I went and got a smaple bag and my kitties turned their noses up at it!! LOL! (We didn't have Zippie at the time, and Mo (a puppy at the time)was happy to eat the cat food, but didn't eat the puppy food sample from Canidae! go figure!

(derailing warning)

Our Lab....decided to catch a rock someone was throwing over the bak fence. (me) from 60 feet away and up 8 feet in the air she got the damn rock. SOOOOO she had 1 front canine and 2 molars pulled 3 days later!!!

But...she does still inhale her food, jus has a unique smile now. She's the on that never chews anything...just swallows like a snake.

When our dog got sick the Vet said totake him off his normal food and feed him white rice with hamburger because it would be easy on his digestive track. Dot had some good suggestions along the same lines of what my Vet said to do.

Also, most dogs will get diarrhea if you change their diet too rapidly, so be careful, once you've selected a new food regime, to introduce the new foods slowly.

I want to say good luck! even though I know that was a banned phrase from amongst twi "rules"!

Yeah, some people try to say human grade isn't, but the holistic Vet thinks FIRST, we should do some cooking and if not he suggests Solid Gold or Canidea. And the American Holistic Vet. Association reccomends Solid Gold and Canidae and other "human grade" foods.

Even if they bake things into a biscuit type food, it is still human grade meaning they did not start wout with beaks and feathers, zoo animals who died of a disease, etc. Also in regular commercial food they buy up the old hamberger from the store and do not unwrap it.

The dead "egg laying chickens" are thrown in their, the cancer ridden cows etc.

They throw the styrofoam right into the "brew". It is so toxic!

I prefer cooking for them but being as I work a lot I am exhausted so I buy the best I can

Edited by Dot Matrix

WW! Funny story! And poor dog!! LOL! Zippie would probably do something like that!! :biglaugh:

Hey, But now I see (I'm gonna shorten that to BNIS haha!) and welcome to the cafe. Have a cuppa coffee on me-- and a slice of pie--be careful-that may be to only one you'll see coming from me that is still on the plate-- I'm um--er sorta a pie flinger! :biglaugh: (Ask anybody here!)

And thank you for your suggestions also. Zippie is pretty well adjusted now to the new food plan--and she did get the loose stools at the beginning! ICK! At this time I now cook about half of their meals and they have dry dog food for the rest. And I make their treats.

Dot--thanks for the clarification. I had also read that euthanised animals from shelters also go in the brew---and the drug that killed the animal doesn't get cooked out by the rendering process. (Probably one of the links you've posted in past threads--you're very good at educating us!!)

I understand about wanting to cook everything for them-- I want to too, but have discovered i can't--even when I have cooked up ahead and frozen. I've gone to a more reasonable half home cooked! (I do that with our family's meals too--cook and freeze) And I defiantely want the Solid Gold-- I keep reading much good about it. Was gonna go yesterday, but hubby needs me to wait for next paycheck--he's written out all the bills and there's too much week left at the end of the money!