GreaseSpot Cafe

The Way and the Election

My3Cents

When I was in (I left in 86) the way leaders didn't shy away from telling followers how to vote. They even got busted by the IRS for taking too strong a stand on the election of a wayfer in Maine. And all the recommendations were to vote republican.

Does anyone know if they promoted candidates or issues in the recent election? I know the anti-gay stand of evangelicals would fit with their position - that would be a problem because they don't like to appear as standing with any other ministry. But also the evangelical anti-abortion position would not fit their beliefs. And I wonder what they said about the war? I'm guessing they loved it at first but did they ever realize how awful it is?

I'd love to hear from those who know what they were saying before as well as after the vote.

Largely because of the IRS troubles you mention, TWI of today stays away from making any political endorsements. People who desire to be envolved in the political process, even seeking public office, are encouraged to do so. However the ministry is not to be used as any kind of vehicle for promoting a particular candidate or political agenda.

That said, the majority of the wayfers do swing toward the Evangelical conservative side of politics. Standing against homosexuality is more important to many than a whole host of more relevant issues, imo.

So in answer to the question, nothing said before, during, or after the elections.

in 2000 I was explicitely told by my FC to vote for Bush or horrible things would happen to our country. I can't help but think that directive came down via the corps night meetings or directly from the RC.

in 2000 I was explicitely told by my FC to vote for Bush or horrible things would happen to our country. I can't help but think that directive came down via the corps night meetings or directly from the RC.

Well I can tell you that the Corps were specifically told not to use their authority in this way. That may have come down after your experience in 2000.

It was pretty obvious that we were expected to vote Republican, but I can't remember if that impression was given strictly locally or not. I didn't pay much attention since I already vote(d) mostly Republican, but not because of party loyalty - just my picks for the best person for the job usually ended up being Republican.

I do remember hearing craiggers talking a lot about Clinton and his wife. I just don't remember what he said. :blink:

You could not admit you ever voted for a Democrat when I was in. I remember Craig screaming about how we live in a Republic, not a Democracy. Democracy was 'mob rule', and the way believed in leaders who would make decisions for everyone else. God forbid anyone has a mind to think. The role of the masses is to trust the leader in government as well as in church. Unless of course the Government leader is Democrat, then all bets are off. My favorite Craig rant was the night he yelled at an 'open' meeting about how we shouldn't read newspapers. That they were a waste of time and that HE would tell us what to think. I worked on a humor magazine with a couple of corps guys, who loved all things Republican, and Democrats were lower than dirt. Not unlike the attitudes of some of the more colorful people on the friendly politics board.

My favorite Craig rant was the night he yelled at an 'open' meeting about how we shouldn't read newspapers. That they were a waste of time and that HE would tell us what to think.

I remember that, or something very similar... do you remember where/when that was?