GreaseSpot Cafe

Has Captain Fantastic Come Out?

WhiteDove

Tiny Dancer - one of the classic tunes of an era Garth. "Almost Famous" uses it in the

bus sequence to great effect. Sweet tune.

For the record :biglaugh: oh yeah, oh yeah that's what's so good about GS - not

only do we get definitive information and factoids, yes factoids, we get

music puns! Real, actual music puns.

Lyrics to the verse in question read:

Jesus freaks out in the street

Handing tickets out for God

Turning back she just laughs

The boulevard is not that bad

And see, that's the whole deal, the whole thingie here. For certain things, Reggie is going to be the Man. In his arena of expertise, he's got deep chops. Never mind that you have to be British to rhyme god with bad.....(think "Oh, he was the naughtiest boy, that one. He could be so bawd") But all this time, I thought he was singing -

"handing tickets out for Ga-ah-wad", that being an ancient icon of Aztec origin. I've put a lot of energy and effort into that particular deity. Now I feel so - so, robbed. Dirty, almost.

Where's People magazine when I need it!

Edited by socks

Hmmm, Sure sounded like 'gold' when I listened to it. ... Maybe it reflects what I think of those who sell their religion. :realmad:

And yep, that was one of the classic tunes of that era, one of many that Elton did. He seemed to focus on more of the glitz n' glamor in his later years tho, and in doing so lost some of his earlier creativity.

But then again, mebbe that's what usually happens with musical artists. They start out creative and free, and then progress to either getting too big for their britches, or they sell out to making some corporate jingles for commercials. ((sigh)) :(

And then again, mebbe it's just me, harking back to the 'good ol' days' of the 60s-mid 70s. ... Y'know, when good music was made. :wink2:

Well, Garth, ears being what they are I guess this tells me one man's gold is another man's god. Y'know?

EJ's heading for retirment. With all the music out today, it's hard to even stay current but there's some serious music being made and it's worth hearing. Enjoying Tiny Dancer doesn't have to mean you're stuck in a Time Warp, it could just mean it was a good song then, and it's still a good song now. Y'know? Popular music is quantifiable in certain ways. Popularity isn't hmmmm as easily, as what you like someone else might not, for no other reason necessary than they don't and you do. But there's a case to be made for good songwriting, and EJ's gotten in the middle of quite a few over the years. Lyrics are often kinda gobbeldy and the melodies usually server the musical style rather than the music, but that's pop music.

But back to his opinions, he's got 'em. No boudadoubt it. Hmm. Hmm. Oh yeah.

I like "reasonably organized" religion, and totally dig Chaos Christianity specifically. Kind-of organized, but not neurotic and won't get suicidal if the pictures on the wall are a little crooked. For awhile.

Edited by socks

Why should he?

Since when was Christmas (which is celebrated by believer and non-believer alike, for different reasons across the board) synonymous and identical with religion? Particularly the kind of religion that slams homosexuality?

:unsure:

I still wonder why people associate 'religion' with so many wars ?? American civil war, first, second world wars, Vietnam, Korean...even the current war on terrorism, unless I'm mistaken were not started because of religion ?? They were started by mans inherent ability to think evil.

Why should he?

Since when was Christmas (which is celebrated by believer and non-believer alike, for different reasons across the board) synonymous and identical with religion? Particularly the kind of religion that slams homosexuality?

:unsure:

Non-believers celebrate Christmas too??

Oh -- yea -- I guess they do. :)

Even the non-believers put up the Christmas tree,

Buy gifts for others, expect gifts in return,

Celebrate the season,

While denying the *REASON FOR THE SEASON*.

Their privilidge It's a free country (and all that).

I (seriously) can't imagine a person thinking of Christmas --

without having some religious connotation.

Let's get honest here. :)

I know this discussion isn't solely dealing with homosexuality but I have to say - the only thing I don't dig about male homosexuality is - there's no chicks.

Thanks for that video dmiller! I rest my case. Reggie's - well, anyone who finds him attractive has to be a woman who still has their little torn up stuffed bear from when they were 5, the one with the arm torn open, distended tummy from too many pillow fights and one eye going up and one down and thinks it's just the cutest thing in the whole wide world. If you're a guy and you get that giggidy feeliing from Dwight - sorry, no deal. We need to go to a pro-football game and see some real hiney-slapping. Those boys know tush.

I don't think religion's going to get banned as long as Elton's voice is heard on the matter. Sorry, he's just too weird for me. Weird as Benny Hinn. Almost as weird as Pat Robertson. Maybe they can all get together and start a religion. Benny can 'heal' Elton, who will then marry Liza Minelli who will drive him gay again after two years and he'll split off to form a splinter group named "The Hair Club for Manly Men" and the slogan will be "I'm not just the president of the Club, I'm your Daddy!" Robertson will get a revelation that Judas was really gay, and Judas really drowned in a Bathhouse and push through legislation banning all Spa's in the U.S. Between them they'll make enough money to buy the Middle East and that'll be that.

Edited by socks

:offtopic: warning:

While denying the *REASON FOR THE SEASON*.

Nowadays I have to laugh every time I hear/see that, as now I know the *REAL* 'reason for the season', and it ain't Jesus birth.

How many of us here have heard that the Christmas holiday was lifted/borrowed/stolen from the Winter Solstice holidays of the various pagan cultures? Hell, many of the symbols we associate with Christmas come directly from said pagan holidays. And of course, we _know_ that Jesus wasn't born around Dec. 25th for various seasonal reasons.

Now just because the Church heisted the holiday and 'claimed it for Jesus' doesn't automatically make it theirs, historically as well as ethically.

Anywho, back to our regularly scheduled Elton John discussion.

I saw Elton John in concert at New Haven sometime in the ancient early-nineties.

My wife won some free tickets from some call-in radio contest.

Glad we didn't pay anything for them. In between songs, he would go into hissy fits about how the record company was not paying enough attention to him and his latest album (whatever it was).

The only highlight I recall of the entire concert was the dramatic opening to "Funeral for a Friend", when the band and the lights got to really flex their stuff. That alone was worth the trip to New Haven, I guess. Elton's band had a good guitarist ( Nigel something-or-other, who passed away a few years ago).

Danny