GreaseSpot Cafe

Has Captain Fantastic Come Out?

WhiteDove

This story is sure heating up.

Elton John's remark "From my point of view, I would ban religion completely. Organized religion doesn't seem to work. It turns people into really hateful lemmings and it's not really compassionate."

Ouch!!! Not a very tolerant view from someone that wants us to be tolerant of his openly gay religion and lifestyle I'd say. I guess tolerance is in the eye of the beholder too.

Don't shot him he's only the piano player may have a new meaning.......

Whats up ? Rocket man?

Religion

Music by Elton John

Lyrics by Bernie Taupin

Available on the album Too Low For Zero

Well he could almost taste the money

But he was sitting in a den of thieves

Looking for the great awakening

Trying to find a way to leave

But that's when he got religion

And the light went on inside

He said somebody up there likes me

Now he's working for the holy guide

He got drunk but he don't remember

That he'd been drinking in a bar downtown

When he thought he heard a choir of angels

Singing in the Tiki Lounge

And that's when he got religion

From no salesman on TV

Just a tap on the shoulder in the parking lot

He still drinks but he does believe

Religion, you do the best you can

We all make the same mistakes

We're gonna wind up with the man

Religion, oh you do the best you can

We all make the same mistakes

We're gonna wind up with the man

She was silent as he paid her

But the thanks she got was next to none

And as her car pulled out of the motel

She felt the presence of someone

And that's when she got religion

In the front of a compact Ford

Just a gentle voice on the stereo

Now she's a working girl who loves the lord

Edited by WhiteDove

Well, when you have just about every religion under the sun calling for the banning, persecution, prosecution, condemning of, and (if legally possible) the extermination of gays, ........ ahhmm, you might say that at least Elton John had some mitigating circumstances for why "religion should be banned".

I mean, what is religion's excuse for banning homosexuality, hmmmm? :nono5:

But, not to worry. I seriously doubt that the ban will go beyond Music Man's ranting into actual practice.

Can't exactly say that the reverse is necessarily true.

<_<

P.S., Notice that I said 'mitigating circumstances', NOT 'legitimate excuse' for banning religion. ... Just in case some people here 'missed' that. ;)

Edited by GarthP2000

Elton John's remark "From my point of view, I would ban religion completely. Organized religion doesn't seem to work. It turns people into really hateful lemmings and it's not really compassionate."

i have no use for elton john, musically or otherwise, but i'd have to agree with him on this. not that i'd ban religion, just that think it sucks.

Elton john aside, and organized religion aside.

WhiteDove is right -- EJ can dish it out, but he can't take it. :)

Mebbe he needs to take some of the ivories off his keyboard,

and make a new suit for himself --

one that is impervious to pokes and jabs.

Someone tell him -- *As ye give, so shall ye receive.*

I have NO sympathy for whiners.

I don't know, I think to say accept my choices, lifestyle, ideas, but we should ban yours is a bit intolerant. But Garth you are right I doubt that we are in any danger of it becoming reality, I chalk it up to an artists rant. Most likely his A & R man will need a few extra bottles of Tums this week. I doubt it will hurt his income - as if it mattered, but I suppose it could end up being another Dixie Chicks moment.

I like Elton as an artist though more for his older music rather than his Disney theme songs of late. But he could tone down the diva just a bit. His tantrums are legendary.

Here is a Elton story for ya , my brother works in the film and commercial industry in LA, the company he works for does ads for major companies like McDonalds, Payless shoes and they did most of the Taco Bell dog ads. Occasionally they shoot a music video or two. They did a commercial for Visa Card with Elton ,it was one of those they did some time back where the star is shopping and in the end they pan their card which has their name on it. They setup this shoot for Visa who poured millions into sponsoring Elton's tour that year in exchange for shooting a commercial. So he arrives on set in limo and is already irritated that he has to do a commercial and a tour date in the same day. Then there was a delay for technical problems as is not uncommon on shoots, and had to wait 20 minutes. Which he did in his limo, it would have been nice if he maybe hung out with the crew at the canteen truck as other stars have in the past, but that was no big deal.

So they fix the problem and are ready to start the shoot. This was a simple deal walk through the store set toss a few things into the basket ,park at the checkout and flash the visa card for the camera. Upon learning what he was to do he turned to his manager and said I ain't doing it they want me to act like a f-ing homeless. He gets in the limo and drives away. They later re-shot the commercial with some adjustments so he did not have to push the cart.

I guess it is these double standards that I find disingenuous. It's ok for him to tell us we need to feel bad for homeless people but just don't expect me to push a shopping cart and look like one.

Well these diva's make for interesting stories anyway I guess. some are better than others they almost electrocuted country singer Tim McGraw once on a shoot they did for his video, but he was cool, stepped away and said guys I think you may have some wires crossed here.

Edited by WhiteDove

Typical celebrity, WhiteDove. Just like the Kennedy's and their *compound*,

in Hyannisport (sp?), solidly ensconced proclaiming *environmental values*

for the rest of the country (masses -- if you will),

yet TOTALLY AGAINST windmills -- *in their back yard*.

Unsightly monstrosities. Ruins the view of the ocean.

Those bozos will think up a dozen excuses to pardon themselves ---

but will put the whip to the back of the commoner -- such as you and I.

EJ is NO different. He (meebe she -- what way does that (cough!) person swing???)

feels miffed and outraged by discrimination, yet -- as you pointed out --

He (she/it) demands respect for his (her/it's) lifestyle unconditionally.

Like I said -- I have NO use for whiners.

Not rich ones, famous ones, poor ones, or just messed up ones.

Seems the rich and famous are the worst of the crowd.

Stepping off my soap box now.

Edited by dmiller

I guess no one informed Sir Elton that not only homeless people use shopping carts...... I suppose he does not do a lot of grocery shopping . They did send over an offer of tickets to the show for anyone that wanted them . I guess they felt bad for all the wasted work and thousands of dollars of wasted time, but Ed said not many went most were too PO at the lack of professional courtesy.

WhiteDove is right -- EJ can dish it out, but he can't take it. :)

..... So why are *you* whining about the whiners?

<_<

Geeze, Garth, who peed in your Cheerios this morning? :P

WD, he probably refuses to shop at Wal-Mart, too. :biglaugh:

I agree with Mr. John and think that organized religion represents some of the most devilish organizations there are. That being said, I think that just because he's in a position for his opinion to reach many more people, doesn't mean that he should use it to air his particular panty wadders.

I saw an interview with a celebrity (can't remember who) and they asked them a political related question. The celebrity said that they would not answer that because they are no expert on politics and know only what they think is right in their world. That they would not want anyone to base their vote on his opinion. He said that every American should do their own research, thinking and discussing to come to their own conclusions.

Would that more celebrities would think that way. Heck, if they'd just remember where they came from, that should be enough to humble most of them. :spy:

Well ya see, that presents a large part of the problem, doncha think? W-A-Y too many people treating celebrities as near Gawds. And as the depiction of how Elton John in that commercial shoot displays, here he is thinking that he has some god given *right* to that worship. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of those Diva queen-wannabees would act a lot more human and civilized if we, who buy their albums and go to their concerts *stop* adulating them ----- remember how we used to adulate VPW the same way?

Not that we are responsible for their childish antics, but we do help feed the monster, as it were, by treating them as tho' they can do no wrong.

And I'm glad that there are performers who realize 'where they came from', and treat us 'commoners' as real people.

And why shouldn't musicians/actors/performers voice their opinions? I mean, how many here (be honest now) wouldn't mind *their* favorite artists (and I mean that compatibility-of-political-opinion wise) voicing their opinions about world events? ... Like when Charlie Daniels did that song about crime and the death penalty fer instance. How many folks (conservative especially) r-e-a-l-l-y liked that puppy, hmmmmm? ... At least a lot more than John Lennon's 'Imagine'. ... Right? :wink2:

There was this music video he did about 5-6 years back going on decrying the (supposed) lack of applying the death penalty and other harsher punishments to those who broke the law and (I think) about how those who went on and on about the 'politically correct' way of dealing with criminals didn't have a clue. Stuff like that.

A song that I (largely) agreed with, particularly with regards the death penalty. ... Believe it or not. :spy:

(dmiller @ Nov 14 2006, 01:19 AM) *

WhiteDove is right -- EJ can dish it out, but he can't take it. :smile:

..... So why are *you* whining about the whiners?

<_<

Who's whining here?? Not I.

Just stating a fact. :spy:

Edited by dmiller

One man's fact is another man's whine. ... And visa-versa.

Sooooo --- Sir EJ making a blatant statement (such as he did),

and my comment about his complaining statement, are one and the same,

given different perspectives?

B as in *B*, and S as in *S*. :)

Get out of your Ivory tower -- and smell some roses -- or sumpthing.

Your getting all *moldy* up there.

:yawn1::yawn1::yawn1:

I can't say as I'm much of a fan anymore (maybe he could recycle "Candle in the Wind" ONE more time?),

but I do tend to agree with his opinion here as well.

Seems I get along fine with religious folks as long as they're not wearing their "vestments" so to speak. Once they start getting holy on me, it's time for me to say my goodbyes.

Religion is just plain icky, ain't it?

EJ is no slouch on the piano and he's got that English version of American blues voice down. An interesting note on Reggie:

The son of a former Royal Air Force trumpeter, Elton John was born Reginald Kenneth Dwight in 1947. Dwight began playing piano at the age of four, and when he was 11, he won a scholarship to the Royal Academy of Music. After studying for six years, he left school with the intention of breaking into the music business.

So he's a talented high school dropout who done good. But I kind of agree with you George, he's become something of a hack. Famous, well-paid, connected and a kind of musical environmentalist the way he recycles his patented sound. "Personality" probably describes him best, entertainer. Of global interest to the People magazine subscribers who need a Cult-fix every month. (what's my Elton doing now?)

Is he refrencing the war in Irag, 9/11, the general opinion of a lot of religions that homosexuality is wrong? All of the above? Is it the accumulated wisdom of his life that leads him to this opinion? He's not alone it seems.

Who cares what Elton John thinks? I like a lot of his tunes but he's hard to endure as a performer. Sort of a strange combination of Barry Manilow and Liberace. I'd vote to outlaw professional use by any entertainer of glasses larger than 6 inches per lens. Max.

Edited by socks

Seems to be a bit like forbidding the kids to eat chocolate then doesn't it? It's all been done before. The USSR and Nazi Germany being examples that come to mind. When you make a fruit "forbidden" it only becomes that much more desired."Jesus freaks out in the streets, sellin' tickets for goin'".(Tiny Dancer) Could it be it's merely the cost of admission that has him disgruntled?