GreaseSpot Cafe

Stock Market

twinot

Very tricky stuff. I do some but I'm no expert. The best advice I can give is find out some companies that give leads like zaks.com of wiess reseach. Buy into companies that are recommended one at a time who have solid financials and stick with them. Don't jump from stock to stock just because they may go down for awhile. It takes a lot of patience but that will bring the best results in the long run.

Try this website out. Bob Brinker has been on the radio for years now. (usually week-ends). Check out the radio listings for your area. He's more into mutual funds than individual issues but does offer great advise.

I have been getting his newsletter for about 10 years now and have had real good returns. In any event you have to think long term and allow compounding retuns to make you wealthy over time. Have patience.

If your looking to get rich quick, I'd suggest robbing a bank. Better than loosing your shirt in the market. At least you'll be fed in prison. :nono5: :) :wave:

http://www.bobbrinker.com/index.asp

Edited by Hills Bro

Good advice Hills Bro. I will add to that Twinot. It may be good to watch some funds or stocks for a while before you jump in. Maybe track them for 6 months or so. Here is another one I'm aware of Small Stock Strategy report. also MSN and Yahoo have free sites that they give reports and advice on concerning what's happening on the markets.

Not an expert, but I've done ok with tech stock and mutual funds. They do fluctuate a lot and you smack yourself when you miss an opportunity to sell and make a bundle. Just letting the money ride has earned me a lot better than money market or CD interest rates.

Personally, I like the Fidelity Select Technology mutual fund. I'm only holding one stock right now and that's AMD. The company is aggressive at holding Intel's feet to the fire and I'm real hopeful of the longterm potential of the AMD and ATI merger.

Don't come complaining to me if we loose it all...

Anybody here an expert on making money in the stock market. I want to learn and needs some pointers.

Hey again TWINOT- perhaps I can be of assistance there. I'm no expert BUT I've made loads of cash by following a few disciplines- One is don't use all your own loot- or more than you can dispose of.

Go to Excite.com. They have an excellent stock profiler I use there to check what's hot and what's not.

Check the dailies. I look at the biggest losers- all companies occasionally have a bad day. When you find one that's lost, say, over 12% of it's stock value, READ all you can about that company in the news, the 'insider' section (to see what the execs are doing with THEIR stock in the company). Use your head. What do they do? HOw competitive is the market they serve? How strong is their leadership? Do they have loads of debt?

Did they lose a bunch of money because they just paid off a debt, or retooled a line or added a line?

I bought a sugar company a year ago and encouraged some aquaintences of mine who I knew had some disposable cash to do also. The company announced a 'special dividend" of $2.50/share payable on November 11 to shareholders on record as of 11/1. I unloaded my IRA into this company. The day I read the story the stock was at $13.40, and the next day it was over $14. On the third day of watching these stocks gain ground I bought in- at $15.47/share. Now, I wish I had used Scottrade or another group like that, as my "money man" at AG Edwards took a hefty fee for the transaction.

My partner bought in the next day- at $16.20. I followed this stock everyday until the 11/1 deadline came, then I noticed a moderate decline, but I was still ahead- AND had the $2.50/ share to look forward to.

After the holiday season (lots of sugar is bought during the holiday season) I noticed the stock gaining ground again. WHen it topped out at $23/share I sold it. That was as high as the stock had ever been recorded. Of course, it finally stopped gaining at around $36- I could have kicked my own butt- but I didn't know. I held fast to my personal discipline of selling when it appeared to top out at 23. I still made a good chunk, but my friends that bought in when I did held onto their sugar for longer than I could afford to, and now I have a liitle money to play with from them- if and when I need it. It isn't mine, but I helped them make a trunkful so some of the more influential of my associates have my back.

The Motley Fool is a good source as well. Although there is an annual fee for their newsletter it is well worth it in my opinion if you wish to become a serious speculator. It's a guessing game, but a wise person who follows the trends and can use his brain can do so very profitably.

My recommendations? By 2012 ETHANOL production will be over quadruple what it is now. E-85 fuel blends are being added to fueling stations all around the country and will continue to do so. This is good for Americans because it will wean us off of foreign oil. Good also for American farmers who can now chose feed stocks for ethanol production or maintain traditional agricultural farming.

Hybrid vehicles and other alternative energy sources are well worth the research- I have reams of data in diskette on the subject, and as you can see with the big 3 US auto manufacturers, you have to be Chinese to get a good paying job in the auto market. The transportation trends point towards research in better Hydrogen fuel cells.

Just a few ideas. I can recommend a book: Harper Business' "Techno Trends" by Daniel Burrus with Roger Gittines. It's a little dated but Daniel does a fine job in walking us through the most innovative and substantial technologies over the past 100 years or so, illustrating how long it took for these technologies to become main-stream. Today's technologies are being conceived one day and in production the next. I'd still recommend a read. Daniel was a keynote speaker in a meeting my former employer sponsored a few years back. I got an autographed copy and I still refer to it.

Hope that help you man!

Stub1

One of the best pieces of advice we ever received was to know our risk tolerance. My husband has been very successful investing, and we have learned a lot by reading everything we can get our hands on. You have to realize that it is not an overnite thing. We don't day trade at all, in fact we are totally in Mutual Funds. Diversification is another biggie! Don't put all your eggs in one basket is a truism that will always stand the test of time.

There are many good books out there, you really have to research and decide how best to invest for you.

Also, remember the power of compounding, leave your money to grow, and don't get antsy to make a killing!

Best wishes to you, you will succeed if you realize there aren't any shortcuts, just a lot of patience and dare I say it, a little bit of luck!

Priscilla