GreaseSpot Cafe

How much is that doggie in the window?

Psalm 71 one

We're going to be selling the puppies this week, so I got a frind's digital camera to be able to post pics of them when I list them. I'm not real good with their camera yet, so most of the 29(!) pictures I took were blurred. And the pups show up more tan in the pics than in real life, but I don't have a photo program to edit them yet. I posted some of their pics in the gallery, but I hadta post these here, too.

Eli tn_gallery_422_73_673423.jpg

Gertie

tn_gallery_422_73_903179.jpg

Yeah. . . I dress em up! LOL!!!

Suda, They are Maltese--I've always thought Westies were pretty cute, but I'v also heard they have skin problems or problems with their coats or something. Wish I'd have thought to take a pic of Zippie and Moses, their parents. They are also adorable! (Can't wait to get my OWN digital camera! LOL!)

Waterbuffalo--cringe--$750-850--and they usually go for that unless they are more yellow/tan coated! We are listing them at 12 weeks, though, as opposed to 8 weeks, cuz I read at most breeders sites they don't sell them til 10-12 weeks. It's been cool having them this long, and I've been able to housetrain them. (I also made them little coats, bears and pillows to go to their new home! LOL!)

Vegan, thanks so much for asking. Zippie is back to her normal weight, and as feisty as she was before pregnancy! I had no trouble getting her back to dog food. I still make homemade stuff, but her diet is mostly the good stuff Dot recommended--Solid Gold. Moses upchucks junky food! LOL! (A neighbor brought him some "Benefull" and he lost it soon after he ate it!) I don't want to breed her on her next cycle, though--and I really want my hubby to agree to let me breed her with a smaller male. (If I can even handle it then! It's hard to let these guys go!) I am screening the potential buyers--I see too many dogs left out all day while the owners are all gone--these guys have already been pampered and I want them to go to a home where they'll be doted on!

I'm so happy everything's going well for the babies, and Moses, and especially Zippie.

That's cool you're screening buyers. I always wondered how people could sell animals to whoever had the money, no questions asked. Our Humane Society is strict. The whole household had to be there to see how the animal would react to us, and they called our vet for a reference. Then, after we were approved, they called to see how everything was going. I hear some are even stricter, doing home visits, before and after the adoption. But I think that's a good thing. Like you said, who wants to see babies, or adults for that matter, tied up in the yard all day. They should be pampered!

Vegan, from what I've read, it seems if I want to really be a responsible breeder, I also ask (pretty much "demand") for the option of being the first one they call should they discover they can't keep the dog. (Illness, divorce, moving etc). I'm planning on doing that--makes sense to me--it seems only right, if I bred them. My hubby jokes about "Ka-ching", but if we're gonna breed them, I think we need to be responsible about it or get the adults fixed! LOL!

FEATHERS!! Just --just HUSH! I'm gonna train 'em to chase birds and de-feather them! HA!

I just gave the pups a bath. . .

3shar-pei.jpg

Psalmie, they are PRECIOUS!

:love3:

I paid $800 for Vixen, and that was four years ago. Border Terriers go for about $1,000 now. Part of that is because the breed is so clean genetically and the breeders go to great lengths to protect the breed as well as their dogs. They are also 'on call' 24/7 for the people who have bought their puppies. I can't tell you the number of times I've called Teri, Vix's breeder, for advice, help, etc. She's become a good friend, too.

I had to sign a contract with the breeder and I'm obligated to return Vix to her if, for some reason, I can't/won't be able to keep her for a pet any longer. The contract also states, for "pet quality" dogs, that the owner will not breed them.

Vix is "show quality" so I could have bred her and even considered it - mostly so I could have a puppy for her. But, as you've learned, it's a lot of money, time and investment emotionally to breed. It's also a huge responsibility to make sure the puppies are going to good homes and will be safe, loved and cared for properly. I decided I'd rather buy a puppy from my breeder than to go through all that. :biglaugh: *bowing in respect for Psalmie*

Not to mention the fact that the little b1tch came into heat almost every time we were scheduled to enter an earthdog contest. They can't compete when they are in heat; it's just too cruel for the little boys. :evildenk:

They're both gone :(

We sold Gertie to a lady from South carolina--her Maltese companion of 10 years had just died. She'd looked for a local breeder in her area and all the Maltese pups in that area were in the $2000-3000 range. She asked a friend who lived here to look for a pup. That friend called, saw Gertie and fell in love with her-- in fact says if we breed again, she may want one for herself!

Eli just went tonight to a couple whose 13 yr old Maltese had died a yr ago. They are the sweetest people, they brought their albums of their precious dog and let me see into the life Eli will have. OHHHH they are wonderful! We visited for awhile, they said to come see him, we took pictures of each other holding Eli! There will be a friendship growing here, I think!!

But it didn't make it any easier to see the last pup go! :(

Belle, I saw the pics of Vixen in Gallery-- she is BEAUTIFUL!

WW, that is exactly what we did!! I took a bunch of pictures! (I bought bear clothes at the craft store) I can't wait to develope the film!