GreaseSpot Cafe

profiles in courage

YIdon'tgotochurch

Paw,

I've looked at a number of profiles and of course, there's not a lot to look at. It has sometimes presented an awkward event while posting in the threads, to respond to someone I know nothing about. It would be great to be able to glance at it and at least see if they opted to put in what Corps they were in or maybe even what Advanced Class they took, how long they were in, the state they reside in now, etc.

Perhaps to protect us this would be unseemly or ridiculous. But after being out so long, I have no problem if TWI knows a 14th Corps grad is living in Texas, posting on GSC. It may even give the cafe more credibility.

It would require courage on the part of the members. But then, it could simply be optional anyway. For some, it may not be a wise move to reveal too much information because of relatives or criminal records, (lol).

If you go to any message board, you will find that the majority of members choose to remain anonymous. People have various reasons for choosing anonymity.

Those who choose to reveal their identities will do so for their own reasons. Those who don't will not do so for their own reasons.

As you have patience you will get to know those members who choose to identify themselves. You should respect those who choose, for whatever reason, choose not to do so. It may have nothing to do with TWI. It may be simply as a matter of discretion on their parts.

Y, we (well, I) try to stay away from labels now that we've tossed those nametags in the fire. :biglaugh: If'n ya wanna know something about someone, just ask. There's also a "My Story" section of the cafe and you can learn a great deal about folks by booth hopping down there. :wink2:

A lot of folks here have been posting since the WayDale days and others, if not that long, at least for years and, well, we just kinda know each other and all that information from posting, sharing and learning as people share tidbits of their lives and experiences when and how they want to.

I understand that can possibly be frustrating for someone having their first cuppa joe, but that's how it is in real life, too, isn't it? You want to get to know someone or understand how they know and how much they know about something, you just ask, right? Same thing here.

There are many levels of involvement here from TWI ordained ministers to folks who maybe only took "the class" once... all have valuable input, observations and things to share. To lend credibility to one over the other is wrong, imo. (NOT saying that's what you would be doing with that information, though) Some of those people know where the bodies are buried and it would be unwise for them to share any more than they do. Everyone has his/her own reason for being anonymous and it's just something that comes with the territory. Hopefully people can get past that and still get to know us individually and use those personal experiences to determine our character instead of relying on a nametag. :wink2:

Me? I posted on WayDale and here at the cafe for at least FIVE YEARS while doing everything I could to maintain secrecy of my identity. I knew that if the WayGB knew who I was that my marriage would be systematically destroyed and I wanted to keep my family in tact. BUT, alas, that was not to be. I was outed and my ex chose that group over me and his commitment to God regarding our marriage. Now that the purpose of my anonymity is non-existent and I've overcome the night terrors of them discovering my identity, I'm not quite so concerned about it. I don't and won't advertise who I am, but I don't necessarily hide it either.

There is still a WAYGB and they are still very active and very concerned with destroying lives and marriages. and, sadly, many who still do have to hide their identity from TWI.

Y I,

I think it is a great idea, but one thing that GS allows is anonymity. If an individual decides to reveal, then they can. But if they don't, then they are doing what they are entitled to on this board.

The next version of this board will have a more elaborate profile page. And we should see that in the not too distant future

Adding optional fields for Corps number, Advanced class, etc. is also an excellent idea. We'll see if we can get it in.

What Belle said and she's a good example.

Belle and I share a passion for Border Terriers. Cute little brown dogs. We know each other's real identies and we trust each other. Besides Belle, I know the real identities of at least a half dozen GS posters.

TWI has shown an almost unlimited drive to destroy peoples' lives when it suits them. Is it any surprise that people here desire to remain anonymous? Stick around, leave and pick up little hints as to your's and other's identities, use PM when appropriate and you'll find some old friends.