GreaseSpot Cafe

Sudoku: Bible style

I ran across this guy, Ivan Panin, who I thought was just doing bible code type stuff. But apparently he spent fifty years of hid life and produced some 43,000 pages of work on the bible looking for paterns in the numbers that correspond to the letters of the alphabet.

I couldn't help but think he would have liked playing Sudoku puzzles.

His work is impressive, although I'm sure he has his share of skeptics too.

Anyone hear of him?

Jerry

Here is Wikipedia's take on Ivan Panin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Panin

Ivan Nikolayevitsh Panin was born in Russia on 12 December 1855. Having participated in plots against the Czar at an early age, he was exiled and emigrated first to Germany and then to the United States. Self confessed as "self taught", in 1878 he entered Harvard University. After 4 years, he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree. During the first year of his university studies he took a few mathematics courses but didn't excel. After graduation in 1882 he became known for his lectures on Russian literature.

He also converted from Agnosticism and Nihilism to Christianity.

In 1890, Panin believed he had discovered amazing patterns in the Hebrew text of the Psalms, and soon afterwards in the Greek text of the New Testament. Thereafter, until his death in 1942, he was to devote over 50 years of his life to painstakingly exploring the numerical structure of the Scriptures, generating over 43,000 detailed, hand-penned pages of analysis. A sampling of his discoveries were published, and are still being published repeatedly.

However, outside reviews of his work cast much doubt on the value of his findings. A review of his work on the Gospel of Mark suggests that he freely picked and chose from various alternative readings of manuscripts, and that any patterns he claimed to have found were in fact his own creation. The main criticism is that the same kind of numeric patterns can be found from any text. There is also a computer program called Panin's panic that can create similar numerical patterns from given text.

First known for the letter written to the New York Sun entitled The Inspiration of the Scriptures Scientifically Demonstrated published in the issue of Sunday, 19 November 1899. This was then republished by the author in a pamphlet of over fifty pages.

Jerry