GreaseSpot Cafe

Bad Religion

Love that band but that is not what I want to talk about.

In Der Vey and it seems in many other non-denominational and protestant groups and for many around here "religion" seems to be a bad word. Why is this?

There is a reasonable definition for the word that basically involves a belief and respect for a god. Someone else on here a while back said religion was a set of beliefs you guide your life by. I don't see anything offensive with either of those usages.

Although, there is this other definition that seems to have been made up my none other than religious organizations that attempts to seperate them from the rest of THOSE people. In this case religion is a "four letter word", perhaps even evil. It is a man made set of rules to control etc. To me this is just a definition that makes it an us vs. them sort of thing... a we're different and better than them sort of thing.

So do you use the word "religion" in this way, and if so why? Are you apart of any organized god fearing group? Why do you not accept the normal use of the word? What is wrong with it? How should we refer to it?

God first

Beloved lindyhopper

God loves you my dear friend

yes every word can be used in a good way or a bad way

Acts 26:5 Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Strong's G2356. threskeia, thrace-ki'-ah; from a der. of G2357; ceremonial observance:--religion, worshipping.

Gal 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:

14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

Strong's G2454. Ioudaismos, ee-oo-dah-is-mos'; from G2450; "Judaism", i.e. the Jewish faith and usages:--Jews' religion.

just in the KJV we see two ways it can be used

one has a believe system meeting and the other has a label of one basic group

today most man-made religions have painted a bad tasted in the mouth for some of us by so many groups getting puff up

so there are good religions which is a believe system base on God and there bad ones a believe system based on a label

but this is used me

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

So do you use the word "religion" in this way, and if so why? Are you apart of any organized god fearing group? Why do you not accept the normal use of the word? What is wrong with it? How should we refer to it?

Well, religion seems to be to blame for a whole lot of wars, killings, segrigations..........inability to compromize.

People tend to say....it is not the religion it is the people in the religion....well I agree with that. It is the peole who say that they are following a religiouse principle such as "kill the infidels".

There can be "bad" principles in all religion I guess.

Paul broke it down to whatever is not of love is sin..............When principle trumps love, it is sin.

Now I know I'll get in some trouble for that one.

Seems to me that no religion is immune from being used for the cause of hate.

Seems to me that no religion is immune from being used for the cause of Love.

When people use religion in the negative you can check the context, because they probably don't be that all religion is bad.

Patrick

In Der Vey and it seems in many other non-denominational and protestant groups and for many around here "religion" seems to be a bad word. Why is this?

There is a reasonable definition for the word that basically involves a belief and respect for a god. Someone else on here a while back said religion was a set of beliefs you guide your life by. I don't see anything offensive with either of those usages.

Although, there is this other definition that seems to have been made up my none other than religious organizations that attempts to seperate them from the rest of THOSE people. In this case religion is a "four letter word", perhaps even evil. It is a man made set of rules to control etc. To me this is just a definition that makes it an us vs. them sort of thing... a we're different and better than them sort of thing.

Back in the day, LCM went so far as to say we shouldn't accept the label "Christian". We were "disciples". A few years after that, he had a bit of a reversal. Turns out the IRS considers The Way a religious organization. If you refuse to be called a religion, that's fine, but you have to give up your tax exempt status. No thank you! "The Way is a religion if anybody asks."

Yeah, religion is a dirty word with a number of folks.

Again, a re-definition of a perfectly good word. (Or at least a relatively neutral word one way or the other)

Religion is simply a belief in a supernatural and the system of belief, worship, and conduct that goes with that belief in the supernatural.

That system of belief, worship, and conduct can be almost non-restrictive or can be as extreme as involving human or animal sacrifice.

(You will note that I am not expressing approval or disapproval of any of those beliefs)

I would submit that each and every one of us have a religious system at some level. Some of those may involve a supernatural deity (or deities) that one may identify as the transcendent supernatural object of the religion; with some, the pre-eminent object of the religion may be man (as an abstract), creation (i.e., the world around us), or some transcendent non-theistic idea of goodness to which to aspire. We all have codes of conduct. The majority of us have transcendent goals toward which we strive, we all have objects of some variety of worship. (consider worship to be some form of adoration) To some of us, that object is a god; to some of us, that object is an idea; to others, that object is ourselves.

To some of us, that object is a god; to some of us, that object is an idea; to others, that object is ourselves.

Very good line there Mark. Cause somehow there is a self that doesn't know itself in self sense.

How can one know one's self? Or can one's self be God.

Perhaps it comes back around to who we are not what we are

or the other way around

religion...hmmmmmm yeah - set of beliefs

wonder..................

can this set be set again and again?

bringing along with it the good

and can it also go different directions?

If it can get better it can get worse

i think it will do both

it being religion...

the self being God as there seems to be

can one's self be seen?

are we an invisable entity also?

Edited by cman