GreaseSpot Cafe

C2 taser

RottieGrrrl

Rottie, I'm not saying you should or shouldn't get a taser, but just so you're aware, tasers can and do kill.

I'd hate for you to use it thinking it would just stun someone, but they end up dead from a heart attack.

Using a stun gun would not be a matter of trying to be nice. It would be my own survival. If someone were coming at me I would take that as a direct threat and not really give a damn if they died.

My feelings about this came after a local girl here, Lauren Kiefer (and you can google news the name) came home to her Mom's house from a Christmas party her family was having, in my own town, and went to her house where she was living with her Mom (about 3 miles away) walked in, some guy was in the middle of a burglary, he raped her with a baseball bat and beat her to death.

Her Mom came home about 45 minutes later and found her beautiful daughter with her brains spilling out on the floor. Christmas Night.

Gruesome? Sorry, but it was a shock to this whole damn neighborhood. She had many local ties. She was a member of my health club down the street. Some young punk who had a string of arrests and a history of violence against women was arrested.

This is why it's good to have a dog. But now I think having a handgun, or a stungun at least aint such a bad idea either.

I just don't like lethal weapons for my own use. Although if I lived out in the boonies I WOULD get one. But I would have no problem zapping the nuts off of some nutball. None at all.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

I'm sorry about Lauren. What a horrible ending. I hope they caught that guy.

I agree you should protect yourself. I just didn't know if you knew that tasers could be lethal.

I'm sorry about Lauren. What a horrible ending. I hope they caught that guy.

I agree you should protect yourself. I just didn't know if you knew that tasers could be lethal.

That's cool vegan, I didn't mean to come off as so hot and bothered. But I guess I'm hot and bothered about this guy. I'd like to cut him up in little pieces. I'd like to bring back the torture chamber.

Yeah they got him. What gets me is with his history of violence and arrests I don't know what the hell he was doing out on the streets in the first place. Talk about red flags, damn. And we are supposed to trust the GOVERNMENT to protect us?

HA!

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Vegan,

Altho, I didn't read every one of them, the accounts that I did read in ther links you provided were inconclusive at best as to showing that the cause of death was the Taser. Hell, even in a good many of those cases, the Taser as a contributing factor in those deaths was inconclusive.

Rottie, have you considered how close you have to get to someone to zap him with a taser?

I'd think mace or pepper spray would be a more effective form of protection for a woman. I can't see getting 6 inches from some guy with a gun to be able to "deter" him before he clobbers/shoots me.

Rottie, have you considered how close you have to get to someone to zap him with a taser?

I'd think mace or pepper spray would be a more effective form of protection for a woman. I can't see getting 6 inches from some guy with a gun to be able to "deter" him before he clobbers/shoots me.

It truly depends on the taser that you get. Some are up close and personal, in other words you have to be within arms reach and actually touch the taser to them. Some like the X26 have the darts that come out of them up to 25 feet but they cost about $1000 each (not each dart, each gun) darts are extra. The X26 can be used either way and according to the training manual it only locks up the large muscle groups not the muscles of the organs. So this specific type of taser (there is more than one type) cannot cause a heart attack. It can scare someone to death but lots of things can do that.

I suggest pepper spray, get the stream as it goes a lot further and there is less chance of it back flashing at you. Trust me you do not want that. Having been sprayed several times both from training and by my partners bad aim I can tell you it is not pleasant. I do suggest if you get pepper spray that you have someone you trust spray you once with it so that you can see how you are affected by it. Its not such a shock then if you ever have to use it.

Another point is that people that are on some types of drugs do not respond well to the electric shock taser (the common one) or pepper spray. Once again from experience, do not assume that if you hit them with either that they will immediately be incapacitated, this does not always happen if a person is shot with a gun. So dont expect it from a non lethal weapon.

My advice for personal protection is the pepper spray. It fits easily into a purse or pocket, is easy to deploy (especially if you get the key ring one) and it stops most people.

My advice for home protection is a 12 gage shotgun. Handgun rounds go through walls and endanger everyone. If you get a smaller caliber then they are ineffective. They are also hard to aim in the dark. Shotguns have several advantages, everyone knows the sound of a shotgun racking (get a pump action for best results) it is the universal sound for "you are now in deep SH!T", The round going off will light up practically any size room, you can point it in any general direction of the sound and are practically assured of hitting what made the sound if you dont the muzzle blast will show you where he is at and probably scare the sh!t out of him so now you can smell him too, and lastly the rounds do not generally pass through the walls (depending on distance of course and thickness of walls but it is much less dangerous than say a 9 mm).

Learning to use a pump action shotgun is really easy and now they have the auto feed shotgun that once the first round is out the next feeds into the chamber so in the heat of the moment a person doesn't forget what to do. It's easy when you're on the range but in the heat of the moment adreneline (sp) kicks in and if you havent trained a lot then you wont react well. So stick with easy. And stay out of reach.

Edited by Eyesopen

Rottie Girl, forego tha tazar and get yourself a gun. I recommend a .45. This will not only increase your confidence when in uncomfortable situations but will also allow you to extract yourself from situations that could otherwise be somewhat overwhelming for kith and kin.

Rottie I understand your reasoning behind buying a tazar, I'd like one too as an attachment to my gun so I have a choice when confronting problematic persons asides lethal force. It is my belief (and experience) that when you take the gloves off, no matter if its a tazer or a 45 your reality has changed to a dangerous degree and a person in that situation should be well prepared for the consequences.

Edited by herbiejuan

Vegan,

Altho, I didn't read every one of them, the accounts that I did read in ther links you provided were inconclusive at best as to showing that the cause of death was the Taser. Hell, even in a good many of those cases, the Taser as a contributing factor in those deaths was inconclusive.

You're right. Here's a better link .

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/n...730taser30.html

and here's a link where TASER, Int, says tasers can kill.

http://www.taser.com/safety/LG-FORM-VOLUNT...ease%20Form.pdf