GreaseSpot Cafe

Lunchtime For the Ravens, Or, Scatter Boys Or we're all Gonna Die!

J0nny Ling0

That's purdy cool LAE. Interesting that he strayed so far from Nome I mean home! And of course, Nome is a long dang way from Aleut Land, although, there is lots of cultural mix along the western Alaskan coast. But most Alaska natives are home boys and girls...

Cool stow-ry! We have flying rats here too, but we call them seagulls!

:biglaugh:

We do get our share of eagles though.

Coming back into Minney-soda once from Wisconsin over this bridge ---

there was a big bald eagle hovering about 50 feet above the span,

surveying the traffic below (me included).

blatnikbig.gif

Edited by dmiller

Yeah DMiller, that's a nice photo and such a beautiful bridge. What bridge is that and what river? Musta been nice to see that eagle that day too!

blatnikbig.gif

Glad y'all liked it. It's the Blatnik bridge. :)

To the right of the bridge is the St. Louis River.

(picture taken from Minney-soda looking towards Wisconsin).

To the left of the bridge, is the St. Louis Bay.

Here's a pic of a Saltie (ocean going freighter) headed towards the Blatnick.

It just entered the St. Louis Bay from Lake Superior, under this other bridge ---

liftbridge.jpg

That's the bay the ship is on, and Lake Superior is on the back side of the Lift Bridge.

The two bridges are about 3/4 of a mile apart from each other.

Edited by dmiller

Oh -- and if you're wondering how that ship got under that bridge,

the entire center span rises into the air -- thus the name of the Lift Bridge.

Here's a ship headed from the bay out into Lake Superior, to shores unknown.

arizonadream230611-1-073.jpg

1862.jpg

The Sunshine Skyway Bridge (Florida's Tampa Bay) is the world's longest cable-stayed concrete bridge, with a length of 5.5 miles connecting St. Petersburg and Palmetto. My boss was the last car on the other side of the old bridge that was hit in 1980 when the freighter SS Summit Venture collided with a pier (support column) during a storm. He said it was dark because of the early hour mixed with the stormy skies and he felt the bridge move below him and noticed the lights that were following him were no longer there.

Wow Lingus, that is some story!

It reminds me of a similar incident that happened to me when I was visiting New York a few years ago.

As an adherant of the Celtic deity Mannanan, I generally make a pilgrimage to the ocean whenever I'm near one (don't have much open water in Nebraska, doncha know). Well, I had packed a lunch on this partricular day, and lo and behold, the sky was white with seagulls. Now one would think that in such proximity to the ocean, as well as mob-owned trash bins, the seagulls would not be lacking for food. So maybe it was sport that caused the b*sta*rds to land in a rough circle around me and start waddling menacingly toward me.

I threw my lunch bag, which contained a roast beef sandwich (with mayo and tomato), a kosher pickle, and a bag of Wise potato chips, at the birds and tried to get out of the circle when, in a manner strangely similar to yours, a big honkin' bird came swooping into the circle, grabbed the bag, and took off. (I have no idea what kind of bird it was, other than not a bald eagle, and not small. )

As fate would have it, I was standing directly in the flight path of the avian lunch snatcher. He hit me dead on in the chest and I felt like I had been tackled. I went down in a flurry of feathers and foolishly tried to get my lunch back (instinct...or brain damage) when the big bird bit off the little finger on my left hand.

I didn't get my lunch, the seagulls crapped all over me, the cops and the emergency room people had a good laugh, and I hadn't thought about it too much until you told your hilarious story Linga-gee. I'm glad you retained all your body parts.

(Now all you GSers who have met me in person and where too polite to pry know why I'm missing a finger on my left hand)

Edited by Oakspear

Oakspear! No way! It bit your pinky off? Un-bee-lieve-able! Now I just have to wonder just what in the hell that dang bird was! Maybe it was a big old red tailed hawk or something. Or maybe an Osprey? Dunno. But that is way wild! And the sea gulls crapped on you to boot! Funny that! But, the missing pinky thing is, well just wild! Gee, how much of your pinky is gone?

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Uff-da!! What a way to remember that trip. :(

There was a school project done up here quite a few years ago, by a college student.

It involved passivity, popcorn, and seagulls.

McKee, an interdisciplinary studies major,

was completing her senior project at the University of Minnesota-Duluth.

The centerpiece was a man in a popcorn suit.

McKee's partner, Davin Heckman, dressed up in an actual business suit

(on which hundreds of pieces of popcorn had been sewn), several layers of long underwear,

sunglasses and a burlap bag for his head, layed down on a foam camping pad in the middle of the park.

McKee poured a box of popcorn on top of him and waited for the gulls to attack.

A huge flock of gulls gathered, tentatively at first.

After another box of popcorn was added,

the birds took the hint and piled onto Heckman.

"It's working!" squealed McKee, who immediately began snapping pictures

with a digital camera she had brought in a "Goosebumps" backpack.

McKee had planned, researched, and implemented the performance art piece --

which parodies how she thinks an American might handle the Tibetan Buddhist sky burial ritual --

to lampoon the hobbyist mentality she sees in American religion and spirituality.

She said Americans tend to dabble selfishly in religion, without making much real sacrifice.

ENTIRE ARTICLE HERE.

popcornman.jpg

(the steel girders you're seeing behind him, is the lift bridge in the earlier post).

Edited by dmiller