GreaseSpot Cafe

The Butterfly

doojable

I saw this in my daughter's Health classroom:

The Butterfly

(Story adapted for the newsletter by Amie Chalberg)

Two cocoons where about to hatch and we watch eagerly awaiting the arrival. The first one begins to open and the butterfly inside squeezes very slowly and painfully through a tiny whole it has chewed in the chrysalis. Agonizing to spread its wings, it lays exhausted for twenty minutes. Suddenly, with all its strength regained, the butterfly flies out the window on its beautiful out stretched wings.

As the second butterfly begins to emerge, we feel compelled to eliminate the struggle for the first creature’s beautiful brother. Gingerly, we cut a slit in the case as the tiny creature begins to chew a whole in the outer layer. We sympathetically open the chrysalis and ease the butterfly out onto an awaiting leaf. We watch and wait to see the butterfly stretch out its wings to dry. Nothing happens. We watch and wait to see the butterfly fly gracefully from the leaf and out the window. Nothing happens. Instead, the butterfly lies on the leaf to die.

Troubled, we contact a biologist to explain why the second butterfly was unable to stretch out its wings, unable to fly. He enlightens us on the butterfly’s fate. It is in the struggle of emergence that the butterfly pushes liquids from deep inside the body cavity. It is in the exhausted stillness that the liquid flows into the tiny capillaries of the wings and hardens. It is in the silent waiting that the wings are able to lift a healthy and beautiful butterfly. To our surprise, it was our eagerness that inhibited the butterfly’s development, for without a struggle, there are no butterfly wings.

Love these lessons from nature. They have lots of practical application to we humans. Seeing how awesomely nature works, it speaks loudly to me that God is real and the master of the universe.

Suda

That is awesome Dooj, and very enlightening! Thank You Dooj!

It is so nice to find proof after proof that God is the Master of the Universe....With His thoughts and His ways definitely higher

than ours....so far beyond our comprehension that they are past finding out.

It makes me ponder our complexity; how intricately and awesomely that we are made!

So many partially unwrapped mysteries that are yet to be unfolded;...like healing, wholeness and soundness! It will be so nice

to have more answers, and understand the mysteries! I truly hope that I don't miss the things that are not mysteries that I

could have and should have understood!

Seeing through a glass darkly is often very hard to bear when we want and need particular answers, understanding or miracles.

Edited by RainbowsGirl

I've heard of this story being used in child-rearing classes - particularly toddlers and teens (and sometimes there's very little difference!)

When I first read this I was going through a very troubling time. All I could think of was that I wanted out of the situation. Then I realized that I had to go through it - pain and all. The funny thing is that because of certain circumstances in my own life, I have raised my kids to be willing to go through the tough times.

Anyway - I still think its interesting.....