cites Agape as being an influence upon Larry Norman, coaxing him to begin

writing Christian rock music.

The All Saved Freak Band - One of the greatest band names of the time, the

ASFB was an apocalyptic rock band built around the talent of Glenn Schwartz,

former lead guitar with The James Gang and Pacific Gas & Electric. The ASFB

was an outgrowth of an end-times church whose founder, Larry Hill, was an

evangelistically-minded minister who gathered a flock of disaffected young

people to build an isolationist community in the Ohio area. Lead singer and

guitar player Joe Markko has one of the all-time great rock 'n' roll voices.

Joy - The very first rock band at Calvary Chapel made up of Scott Lockwood,

David Burgin and Jim Golden, they predated even Love Song, the group most

synonymous with early Calvary Chapel. Their country rock stylings were

typical of much that would emerge from the future Maranatha! Music company.

Gentle Faith - The members lived at the Blue Top commune which was a

ramshackle motel overseen by Lonnie & Connie Frisbee, and whose rooms were

taken over by newly converted hippies.

Stonewood Cross - Not much is known about this mid-70s band other than they

hailed from Michigan and played a number of Christian festivals.

The CD is $15.99 by itself but can be purchased with a DVD of the

documentary for $29.99.

David Di Sabatino

www.lonniefrisbee.com

Yeaaaaaaaaah, I Love it ((((((((((Paw)))))))))))))))))!

I am going there now... it is so cool!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Love You Paw, RG

I am back:

I just ordered both the music and the DVD... they are essential for every Hippie, Flowerchild, Jesus Person! I enjoyed the

trailers, letters and the whole site! Brings back loads of really beautiful and loving memories for me of many loving and gentle

souls! The memories Paint such beautiful mind picture for me!

Just to clarify to those who may not know this; Not all Hippies, Flower Children, and Jesus People did that much drugs and

some did none at all. Not everyone was into the Free Love and communes either! Everything in the 60's movements varied

from locale to locale and culture to culture. Freedom of choice, experimentation and discovery were the focus points of this

age!

Edited by RainbowsGirl

Lonnie Frisbee,A sample of the Jesus movement at it's roots...what then prevailed as the thoughts of that day! Jesus Freaks 1 Jesus Freaks 2

Edited by RainbowsGirl

Wow this is amazing stuff Paw! Thanks for posting it. It's good to actually see the history behind TWI.

Sample letters:

I just wanted to say thank you for your work on the story of Lonnie's life. In the early 80's when I got saved at a Vineyard Church in San Luis Obispo, I began to hear stories about Lonnie Frisbee but I have never been able to find out much more him. And I had never even seen a good picture of him until recently when I found your website. I am anxiously waiting for your documentary to be finished.

- Ron Stanfield

I remember a story that made an impression on me. Lonnie ministered to the retarded people at Fairview State Hospital. He became discouraged because he didn't really know if he was getting through to them. He asked the Lord to give him a sign that he was making an impact. He went into the room of a young man who had never talked in his entire life and was just about to die. Lonnie shared the gospel with him and that young man sat up in bed and said, "Jesus." He died shortly after but Lonnie was encouraged that he was ministering to spirits, not to minds, and that he definitely was getting through.

- Julie McCloskey Carlson

Frankly, I think Lonnie is a tragic story that really does not need to be embellished or made into a movie. Why not tell the story of someone who has done far more than Lonnie ever did and has been faithful, instead of someone who is as tragic and flawed as Lonnie?

- Greg Mills

Di Sabatino: The Bible is filled with tragic and flawed characters and themes. God showing his strength through weakness, using foolish things, zigging when his children claim he should be zagging. The very essence of the Christian story is built upon the tragic career of Jesus, himself an abysmal failure by fiefdom-building standards. To miss that... well, that is why Lonnie's story is so necessary. To reconnect Christians with their own story.

In early 80's I ran into Lonnie once again at a Bible study being led by a doctor friend of mine. I went to see him after suffering a severe knee injury in a skiing accident. I was in a great deal of pain and my knew was swollen and "colorful." He referred me to an orthopedic surgeon, then afterwards contacted me and encouraged me to come for prayer since Lonnie Frisbee was going to be visiting the Bible study.

At the study, Lonnie went around the room praying for people one by one. Of course when he came to me in my brace and crutches he took a deep breath (almost an "ah-hah"), smiled, leaned down and took my knee in both of his hands and began shaking it and said "Be healed!!" I felt nothing except the discomfort of having my knee rattled around and he continued around the room. He came back again and did the same thing and asked how I felt. I put a little pressure on my foot, but the knew was still unsteady and painful so I said, "about the same." I felt so bad because I really didn't want to disappoint him, but I wasn't about to say anything but the truth. He then prayed one more time in the same manner and incredibly, in an instant I knew something happened. I felt no fire from heaven; no tingles, no being swept off my feet. But I just knew I was OK.

Since my physician was present, he came over, checked me and encouraged me to take a I few steps without the crutches and sure enough, the pain was about 90 percent gone. My doctor then broke out in a huge smile and told me he and the orthopedic surgeon had consulted and they were sure I would be needing surgery to repair a torn ligament, but from what he could see now I was completely healed. And sure enough, I was!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice article. Thanks Shortfuse.

I've been touched by Lonnie Frisbee's story. Learning about him and TWI's historical connection to the Jesus Freak movement is just one more of the many things I've gained here at the GS cafe.

This may be off topic but, talking about contemporary Christian music, you know you're getting old when you can't understand what your son's crazy music is about but you're just glad it's Christian.

Ever hear of this band, Haste the Day? It's one of my 15 year old son's favorite bands. (Not mine) If you're brave enough, click on the name below and let me know what you think. It's not exactly what the Slate article calls "saccharine" is it?

Haste the Day!

David Di Sabatino - The Slate "Music Box" Article

Here is a snippet:

I'd Like To Dedicate This Next Song to Jesus

The freaky origins of Christian rock.

By Erik Davis

Posted Tuesday, July 31, 2007, at 2:03 PM ET

Next time you see some young folks flexing their subcultural muscle, take a closer look. Along with the baggy hoodies or the four-fin surfboards, you might catch a telltale sign of the Risen Lord: an ixthus fish tattoo or a T-shirt that looks like the wrapper for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups but says, "Jesus: Sweet Savior." Traditionally, American fundamentalists resisted secular youth scenes and their sock hopping, sinful ways, but contemporary Christians believe that resistance is futile. Evangelist ministries and young believers have opted to enjoy pop culture's manic energy and style while splicing in inspiring messages and strict rules of moral conduct.

David Di Sabatino sent me this e-mail link to the article.

I Hope we can have him on another Talk Shoe pod cast Paw???

I think this stuff, Lonnie's story, the Jesus Movement, the music, is all so relavent to all of us here at GS as well as to everyone who's ever stepped foot on TWI grounds, came to fellowship, or was even witnessed to by a TWI follower.  

Lonnie started his ministry at the House of Acts where Steve Heefn*r and Jimmy Do*p were already in full swing in their mininstries.  Because of these men's stands, and their wife's, the increase happened in TWI, whithout Heefn*r and Do*p, there would never have been more than the handful of older people WPW had taken from his Van Wert church to TWI.  

By the six degrees of separation theory, we all can probably trace our coming to TWI thru Heefn*r or Do*p. There is not much information out there about this period of time to show us the way it was and maybe how it should have been.  David Di Sabatino has made a way for us to see a bit of it, to honor those who've gone before us, and to make sure the historical information doesn't get burried by the wieght of time.  The music is still relevant, Lonnie's message is still relevant.

It is ironic that the only ministries I see flourishing from any of the offshoots from TWI are the ones that have a focus on the young people, teenagers and the under 25 generation, where the young people are in charge and running the show.