GreaseSpot Cafe

Prayer

As a little girl my mom taught me the Lord's prayer, the Rosary.

I yearned for the intimate and ongoing prayer relationship the Bible speaks of (pray without ceasing for example).

I used to fall asleep while praying -- in fact the "rest to the soul" was almost all I knew.

Now. . . after over 40 years of working on it, I find I know when the electrical connection is on.

Now I am awakened at 2:30, 3:30 am or so to pray on a daily basis. And when I do make the effort to turn aside (Exodus 3:3 so to speak) the day goes along with God's touch. And when I don't get up to pray it's like Geo says, things just go along.

Whenever things come to mind, I pray, but the time alone and before the Lord are the most precious times of my day.

A few days ago I had thoughts about mountain climbing and it's relation to prayer.

I never did mountain climbing, but I work at praying.

The pins and clips hold the climber to the mountain as he works his way both up and down. Ropes and clips hold the mountain climbers together. So Bible verses, the prayers of others, words of others, our kindly affection one to another, our faith, are our clips and pins and ropes holding us to the mountain and to each other.

Sometimes some peoples' pins get dislodged from the mountain and only the clips and ropes to the other mountain climbers keep a climber from falling, and preventing troubles, depending upon how high and treacherous the mountain being climbed.

(Not all mountains are like Sylvester Stallone's "Cliffhanger.")

And so it is up to some who are still pinned and clipped to the mountain to bear the weight of climbers who have become unglued so to speak.

Boy's Town motto and logo is a picture of a young boy carrying a smaller boy on his back, "He's not heavy, he's my brother."

2brosstatue.jpg

Helping others is a nice thing from prayer.

Good topic Danny! I've been thinking about it for a few days trying to observe how much and what I pray during the day. I try to pray all the time. I'm constantly "checking in" with heaven or at least that's what I want to do all day.

I pray in tongues, but mostly I just talk to God. I ask questions like "What should I do?", "Where is it, Lord"?, "Lord, please bless them.", "Please God", or if I've done something that I need to repent for: "I'm sorry Lord, please forgive me."

I'll often have a sentence of praise that I hum under my breath, singing songs of praise that come from my spirit or songs I heard in church or CDs.

When I'm alone in my car or at home, I'll speak in tongues out loud. I notice that my tongue changes depending on the type of prayer needed, and sometimes I'll be led into "groaning and travailings."

I just want to stay connected to God.

Recently I started praying the Lord's prayer when I wake up and at times during the day. If this is how Jesus taught his disciples to pray and I want to be his disciple then I should pray the way he taught.