GreaseSpot Cafe

New Fat Loss Technology?

markomalley

See this Washington Post article.

Some highlights:

Scientists reported yesterday that they have uncovered a biological switch by which stress can promote obesity, a discovery that could help explain the world's growing weight problem and lead to new ways to melt flab and manipulate fat for cosmetic purposes.

The international team also showed that blocking those signals can prevent fat accumulation and shrink fat deposits and that stimulating the pathway can strategically create new deposits -- possibly offering new ways to remove fat as well as to mold youthful faces, firmer buttocks and bigger breasts.

The researchers also demonstrated that injecting a substance that blocks NPY prevented mice from accumulating fat -- even if they were stressed and ate a high-fat diet -- and could shrink fat deposits by 40 percent to 50 percent within two weeks.

"It just melts the fat. It's incredible," said Zukowska, noting that the technique could offer an alternative or supplement to liposuction.

The entire article is too long to post (plus I'd get a mod p.o.'d at me), but definitely worth looking into.

"It is unlikely that anything will ever be a panacea for weight gain or will replace eating well and exercising regularly, others warned"...................my thoughts exactly, they are always trying to come up with a SHORTCUT, while in the end, NOTHING will take care of the excess weight, EXCEPT healthy eating and some good old fashioned exercise !! Plus there are so many more benefits to exercise than just a fit body, it has an effect on every part of you.

You've probably heard this before " Physical activity is nonnegotiable, you have to move to improve"

Edited by Cowgirl

I am with you on this one CowGirl. I would only advocate this method for someone who cannot seem to shed the weight even with diet and exercise (which does happen in some cases) or for a short term use for someone who is very seriously obese and just needs a jump start to get them going on the diet and exercise program (seriously obese people have a difficult time wih exercise).

I think in this rare instance I may be a bit more of an optimist than Cowgirl and Abby.

I think with the utterly UNLIMITED market for such a drug, it's only a matter of time before somebody at Big Pharma comes up with a successful treatment for lardassism. Take a look around you, EVERYBODY in North America is a potential customer. I hardly know of a single person who couldn't stand to lose a few pounds. Most folks could stand to lose MANY.

I'm not sure that this particular treatment is gonna be the one, but rest assured, something will be along shortly.

Of course, the first few drugs to hit the market will undoubtedly have all sorts of nasty side-effects (phen-phen anyone?) - increased armpit-hair growth or chronic flatulence or something like that. But that won't stop the desperate.

Personally, I think I'll let somebody else play the guinea pig. But I'll be waiting patiently for the results to come in, no doubt...

Actually, the NEWS related to this issue today is the connection between chronic stress and weight gain for people eating high fat/high carb (junk) foods.

I believe, intuitively, that this link exists.

I believe that was my problem.

I did not have proper eating habits AND I was subject to serious levels of chronic stress.

THIS new understanding is NOT a panacea. Nor is anyone who is seriously investigating weight management issues (personally or professionally, possibly excluding marketing hucksters) necessarily viewing it as a panacea.

This new information gives hope to millions of people (or will do so when they realize what this means to them) who have tried diets and after years of failure to get a handle on it.

Again, over the last 2.5 years, I've lost more than 85 pounds.

The "secret" for me has been better understanding of nutrition options, ways to drastically reduce the level of chronic stress in my life AND an aggressive, regular exercise regimen.

Indeed, it's really NO secret. But for the millions who have not been able to figure it out, it certainly seems like someone has been keeping it secret.

AND -- there is good reason that at this time that drugs approved by the FDA for use in a weight loss program are limited (one for sure, maybe two... but not this thing).

And the fat blocking drug, orlistat, which has been available by Rx, but now in smaller doses over-the-counter, WORKS for people who need a boost when reaching a plateau in a long-term program consisting of better eating habits and exercise.