GreaseSpot Cafe

DOW Hits 14000 !!!!!

Hills Bro

i'm believing

Not until I'm a receivin' the deeds and abundant sharin (plows included) of everything you does a own! After all, all sharin = aaah somethin i can't quite rememba...but you keep believen honey! :biglaugh:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are believing for me to win excie? I have two dollars in ... haven't bought a lotto ticket in many years, surely I am due. So with my 39 million cash, I will throw a party with bump and excie and other friends. Of course people with millions have lotsa friends ... :)

I want to know how much Tom makes trimming hedges ... I thought that market was saturated with illegals ... :spy:

You are believing for me to win excie? I have two dollars in ... haven't bought a lotto ticket in many years, surely I am due. So with my 39 million cash, I will throw a party with bump and excie and other friends. Of course people with millions have lotsa friends ... :)

I want to know how much Tom makes trimming hedges ... I thought that market was saturated with illegals ... :spy:

I just came back from the dead when I found this...

http://www.thestreet.com/s/amaranths-hunte...ml?puc=googlefi

I'm going to sleep a lot better now that I know the bad guys are being investigated... <_<

We can invite him to the party and have ~EX~ interview him on the next radio show!

Hey ... I won the lottery, so the party is on ... :)

But I only hit the powerball, so I made $3 and spent $2 ... it will be a small party, BYOB.

:jump:

A little farm land should be a hedge. Corn, fruits, vegies, eggs, milk? ... should keep up with inflation. But inputs keep inflating, and it is a little harder to be efficient in a small operation. Being in the country and enjoying life counts for a lot. But you can't put retirement accounts in a farm ... I guess a little in foreign currencies would help with a dollar decline.

I was a fan of Jimmy Rogers 10 years ago, but never got around to investing in commodity markets as he suggested. Some would wonder if Europe also is going to be challenged by cheaper input countries like China. But China is scary since they seem to cook their books (worse than US). And then there is the concern of military conflict ...

Gold had a nice run, but some question its tradability. Survivalists seem to believe in bullets as being more practical.

Anyway ... it is interesting to hear opinions.

Edited by rhino

I did that with Japanese Yen a number of years ago... I just wish I'd gone ahead and bought Microsoft instead, this was the mid-eighties I think, and I thought "oh well, it's too late to buy it now..." what a moron I was! (I know, I haven't changed much in all these years!)

Has anyone found a time machine yet?

I just meant "consider your options", not trade in options. :biglaugh: I've never traded options, though I did sell 900 bushels of corn when it was up 80 cents from now :) Hopefully I can deliver another 1500 on top of that come October. I may try some corn options next year as protection if I sell in advance. I guess puts are options ... it's all kinda blurry to me ... my current options ... beer or wine :beer:

What you are refering to above are known as "futures" - they're not options, as far as my understanding of options goes, that is, if you are currently buying and selling (or trading) the commodities market - for example: corn, wheat, coffee, etc. I thought what you were initially refering to beforehand were stock options, not futures or even options in the commodities market. I guess all the cornfussion is, these are two entirely different asset classes which use the same words and terminology (future options / stock options) but then again, these are options that are not even close to being the same thing. There's a world of difference between the stock market and the commodities market, and it is easy for one to become confused when both markets use the same terminology. I am not familiar with future options as much as I am with stock options (however I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are probably similarities between future options and stock options) as I have not actively participated in the futures market, only the stock market.

A stock option is a contract giving the buyer the right, but not the obligation, to buy or sell an underlying asset (a stock or index) at a specific price on or before a certain date (listed options are all for 100 shares of the particular underlying asset). An option is a security, just like a stock or bond, and constitutes a binding contract with strictly defined terms and properties.

The problem most people have is they don't realize there are similarities as well as differences between stocks and options. The similarities between stock and options are: both are securities, and options trade like stocks with with buyers making bids and sellers making offers. Options are actively traded in a listed market, just like stocks. They can be bought and sold just like any other security. However some of the differences between owning options over actually owning the shares of a security are:

• Options are derivatives, unlike stocks (i.e, options derive their value from something else, the underlying security).
  • Options have expiration dates, while stocks do not.
  • There is not a fixed number of options, as there are with stock shares available.
  • Stockowners have a share of the company, with voting and dividend rights. Options convey no such rights.

For example: If you were going to buy 100 shares of ABC at $29/share then your initial investment would be $2,900 for purchasing 100 shares of ABC outright. However if you purchased an option contract (1 option contract typically represents 100 shares of an underlying security) then your intial investment would be far less than the $2,900 you would be making purchasing the underlying security. The reason options are so attracitive is, you are purchasing a contract giving you the right but not the obligation to buy or sell an underlying asset, which is considerably far less than purchasing the security itself.

Technically speaking there are only two types of options, Call options and Put options. A Call Option is an option to buy a stock at a specific price on or before a certain date. In this way, Call options are like security deposits. You may already be familiar with options without realizing it. If, for example, you wanted to rent a certain property, and left a security deposit for it, the money would be used to insure that you could, in fact, rent that property at the price agreed upon when you returned. If you never returned, you would give up your security deposit, but you would have no other liability.

Now when it comes to purchasing stock options, when you buy a Call option for example, the price you pay for it (called the option premium) secures your right to buy that certain stock at a specified price, called the strike price. If you decide not to use the option to buy the stock (and you are not obligated to) your only cost is the option premium.

Put Options are options to sell a stock at a specific price on or before a certain date. In this way, Put options are like insurance policies. If you buy a new car, and then buy auto insurance on the car, you pay a premium and are, hence, protected if the asset is damaged in an accident. If this happens, you can use your policy to regain the insured value of the car. If all goes well and the insurance is not needed, the insurance company keeps your premium in return for taking on the risk.

I hope this clears up and clarifies the earlier misunderstanding between shares and stock options.

“Option Heaven”! Oh Lord help me!

Your statement “unless one knows beforehand they are putting their investment dollars...” well come on, what are they going to do, the opposite?? “Starting to rotate...”, by that time the easy money is already off the table. What does starting to rotate mean anyway...you’re being roasted? :spy:

There are thousands of companies that are publically traded every day in the stock market. Every company that is publically traded falls inside a particular industry group or sector. For example, Network Appliances (it's stock symbol is: NTAP) is traded on the NASDAQ (not the DOW) and it falls inside the technology sector. Similar companies inside the same industry group or sector, i.e. Microsoft (it's stock symbol is MSFT) is also traded on the NASDAQ like NTAP, not the DOW.

When I am speaking about rotation, I am talking about industry group rotation - not an individual stocks rotation - (there is no such thing - individual stock rotation). Major institutions like banks and insurance companies invest millions of dollars in the stock market, but they don't place their investment $$ into individual stocks but rather inside industry groups - not into individual stocks. When banks and insurance companies are starting to place and invest millions of $$ inside a particular industry group, that is a good time for the individual investor to "wake up and smell the coffee" as such large institutional investing is definately going to influence stock prices. Likewise, when banks and insurance companies and other financial instutions pull their dollars (i.e. withhold investment $$) from a particular industry group, then that industry group is starting to rotate "out of favor". I happen to follow the big $$, that is, I put my money where the banks and other financial instutions are placing their investment dollars.

Your third paragraph doesn’t make any sense to me. Are you investing in garbage or in “fundamentally sound stocks to begin with...”? Buy a dart board, or short the market with a used car salesman? What’s your point?

Ask Warren Buffet that question. He knows about fundamentally sound stocks and that is what he chooses to invest in. Or are you claiming you make more $$ in the market than he does and people should listen to you instead?

I think Rhino had a point, and it’s real simple...”Have a Plan” or at least an exit strategy which is the same thing. And follow the K.I.S.S. business investment principles of smart investing. Or just stay out of the market.

You should take your own advice and stay out of the market. It's apparent to me you have no idea what your talking about and have no interest in learning what it's about. It's people like you who get killed in the market because they are "cocky" like you and they think they already know it all and they believe they understand what they are talking about. The stock market is certainly no place for cocky people who beleive they already know it all and wouldn't recognize sound investment advice even if it bit them on their backside.

Excuse Me? Mister What The Hey?? Are you from another planet? :confused:

I have learned on GS not to lose it...but your posting is really as dumb as the market is down. I’m laughing too hard at your response. Are you really a trader or do you just “cut & paste” market info.? <_<

It’s got to be these types of postings which keep things lively...Bless You! Bump

Down...Down & Down It Goes, Where It Ends...The :evildenk: Knows! <_<

Buy Wine...2005 was good both here and in Bordeaux. If you need a Cave, let me know! :biglaugh:

I am not holding any open postions in the market so I am not worried that the market is currently down. It's too early to declare we are in a bear trend as nearly all the major indexes (the DOW, NASDAQ, S&P 500 & AMEX) are still strongly bullish, they're not bearish yet at all. Rather I see an opportunity to go long again here very shortly - i.e. buy low - sell high.

Well, if your a short term trader (a daytrader or a swing trader) you might want to close your positions or at least tighten your stops if you are currently long in the market and have any open positions in the market today. On the other hand, if you want to trade the market today and short the market, then I recommend you use a lot of caution. The overall market (the broadmarket) is still to bullish to trade it counter-trend. (Remember the sound stock advice adage - the trend is your friend.)

Well, the DOW stopped going down ... for today anyway.

Thanks for the info Hey ... I will consider those options ...

The trend is your friend, but it depends what time frame you are trading in. My trend is to grab a beer about 3pm central time ...

Bumpy, I'd be afraid to invest in high priced wine ... if things did ever get tough, that might lose value. I see they have $2.99 wine selections at Aldi's now ... I just can't see competing with that, so will have to drink my stock. :drink: Or I could store it in my cave ... we have an old limestone quarry with some caves ... they don't look too safe though.

Predictions can be as foolish as history, hindsight is always 20/20 but our eyes may not have wanted “to see” those who stole our future.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/amer...dist=TNMostRead

This may be another “learning curve” coming up but in the wrong direction. They may soon be sweeping the American tourists off the streets of Europe.

Bon Voyage!

Since the time I posted this on the 24th, the market has wiped out over $ 525 BILLION in share capital!! It must have been a lucky guess...?? :biglaugh:

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.js...p;date=20070728

In this game, you have to “put your $$$ where your mouth is”. Everything else is just hot air. (Euros 1,000)

Never trust a “trader” who holds no positions. They have no credibility & usually no financial capital. That’s why they try and make so much noise. They don’t even trust their own advice! :evildenk:

Anyway, it’s only money...have a nice weekend! Bump

Another 2% drop next week and I'm buying. Sorry Bump... Not ready to raise the white flag...only you Frenchmen do that.

Hills Bro...How’s the weather in Buffalo?

I’m not French, so save the personal attack for someone else. My thousand Euros still stands! Where’s yours?? <_<

It’s like I said, some people just talk...and that’s about where it ends, right? :eusa_clap:

Well, that's what I like about talk, it is cheap ... but everyone has money somewhere, so all are invested ... and our limited amount of time is invested as well ... :)

But here is an article on derivative games ... for those that want to play along at home ... not that I get it all, but it cleared up a few things to me ...

The best analogy would be to picture watching a poker game and around the table are the biggest Wall Street Sharks. A lot of chips are on the table and depending on the accounting treatment used, each player would claim to have won the entire pot even though the last cards have yet to be dealt. The problem is, those cards will be dealt eventually and someone is going to have to book a loss. In this type of poker game, if you don’t know who the patsy is, you’re the patsy! A number of investors in some big subprime mortgage hedge funds just found this out.

For the past couple of years, 40 percent of profits in the S&P 500 have come from financing activities, and financial profits have a long way to fall just to get back to historical averages. Remember, the U.S. economy has been driven by the financial system which has created an unprecedented level of debt. For those of you celebrating when the Dow edged up toward 14,000 and the S&P 500 hit a new record high, you may find the next celebration a long time coming. The recent stock market slide is caused primarily by worries over credit quality and excess leverage. The problems are just beginning.

So I don't know, the DOW could go to 10,000 again and still be in the uptrend I think. Party on Garth ... and everyone else too :)

Investment tips for 2007 For all of you with any money left, be aware of the next expected mergers so that you can get in on the ground floor and make some BIG bucks.

Watch for these consolidations in 2007.

1.) Hale Business Systems, Mary Kay Cosmetics, Fuller Brush, and W. R.Grace

Co. Will merge and become:

Hale, Mary, Fuller, Grace.

2.) Polygram Records, Warner Bros., and Zesta Crackers join forces and

become:

Poly, Warner Cracker.

3.) 3M will merge with Goodyear and and become:

MMMGood.

4. Zippo Manufacturing, Audi Motors, Dofasco, and Dakota Mining will merge

and become:

ZipAudiDoDa.

5. FedEx is expected to join its competitor, UPS, and become:

FedUP.

6. Fairchild Electronics and Honeywell Computers will become:

Fairwell Honeychild.

7. Grey Poupon and Docker Pants are expected to become:

Poupon Pants.

8. Knotts Berry Farm and the National Organization of Women will become:

Knott NOW!

And finally ..

9. Victoria 's Secret and Smith & Wesson will merge under the new name:

Titty Titty Bang Bang

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Never trust a “trader” who holds no positions. They have no credibility & usually no financial capital. That’s why they try and make so much noise. They don’t even trust their own advice! :evildenk: Anyway, it’s only money...have a nice weekend! Bump

I didn't say I never held any positions at all. I just said I didn't have any positions currently open (big difference to what your talking about) as I don't prefer to trade the market counter-trend if I can help it. I am not saying one can't make money trading the market counter-trend, just that one takes on and assumes more risk by doing so. If you're a short term trader in the market, (i.e. a day-trader or a swing trader) the technical indicators are more important and critical than the fundamentals. But frankly, I don't know of any trader (day-trader, swing trader or even position trader) who went broke closing a position they had and thereby booking a profit.

If you haven’t figured out that the Pillars of the US economy are planted in foundations made of shifting sand...you might want to look at what your retirement $$ financial future might (not) be. :evildenk:

By that time, the value of the US $$ and the price of oil may be very far apart indeed! And that’s not including the inflation factor.

“Faith in God” may then be the only stable quantity in the news. And that doesn’t come easy for some. <_<

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/30/pf/retirem...earch/index.htm

In light of talk is cheap, I said this morning "I bet it goes negative by the close" ... of course I put no money on it, and saying I said it, after the fact is even cheaper. :)

I like the old candlestick charting interpretations ... by the Japanese. It is almost a religion, but based on trading. A neat thing about watching how people move money out of fear and greed, it shows where they really are at. Anyway, I had some book on candlestick stuff, dark clouds, doji star, dawn attack ... it was all kinda neat ...

So the nazzie looks like an inside out day, which is bad (not a japanese candlestick term) ... opens higher than yesterday's high, closes below the low (IIRC) ... fun to watch, like a baseball game, only it may be YOUR money. :)

Bumpy, I'll drink a beer now, since I figure you are drinking some wine :beer:

Hey .. let us know when you get in ... we can play along at home.

I "reinvested" my one dollar lottery win plus one dollar ... so there may be a big party coming up,'cuz i am due ... but I did read the odds are twice as great that you will die on the road to get your ticket than that you will hit the big prize ... :o

edited again to say ... WOW, even DOW and S&P managed to close below yesterday's lows ... very bearish ... grab your nuts ...

Edited by rhino

I just thought this bit from Rhino had another "read worthiness" attached to it regarding today's fall off?[/size][/b]

The best analogy would be to picture watching a poker game and around the table are the biggest Wall Street Sharks. A lot of chips are on the table and depending on the accounting treatment used, each player would claim to have won the entire pot even though the last cards have yet to be dealt. The problem is, those cards will be dealt eventually and someone is going to have to book a loss. In this type of poker game, if you don’t know who the patsy is, you’re the patsy! A number of investors in some big subprime mortgage hedge funds just found this out.

For the past couple of years, 40 percent of profits in the S&P 500 have come from financing activities, and financial profits have a long way to fall just to get back to historical averages. Remember, the U.S. economy has been driven by the financial system which has created an unprecedented level of debt. For those of you celebrating when the Dow edged up toward 14,000 and the S&P 500 hit a new record high, you may find the next celebration a long time coming. The recent stock market slide is caused primarily by worries over credit quality and excess leverage. The problems are just beginning.

I am a very conservative saver/iinvestor as most females are, so the burps of the stock market have a pretty small effect on my 401k, Roths and other investments. I never have big earnings to brag about, but I sleep better not worrying about big losses. My favorite fund in my 401k is the one geared towards the year I plan to retire. It keeps the mix balanced in relation to my ability to withstand market fluctuations as I near retirement. I do keep an eye on all my investments, but don't try to time them.

Since I am conservative in my investing/saving habits, I recognize that I need to save a larger percentage of my income which means I need to be frugal in other areas of my life. I accept my responsibility to save as well as invest for retirement. At present, 20% of my paycheck goes into my 401k and my employer adds a minimum of 6%. I also save the max allowed in the Roth IRAs for each year.

But I also know that I can't base my whole future on dollars available to me. Who knows? We may have huge inflation that will make my many dollars worthless. I think being kind to people, maintaining a support network of good friends and family and being satisfied to live a simple life is still a good retirement strategy. I joke with my sisters and close friends that we can live together like the golden girls (and one golden boy) if we need to at retirement. One cooks, one does home repairs, one fixes our cars, one plans our parties and we'll figure out the others when we get there. :offtopic: I know, but I think it is important to mention.