GreaseSpot Cafe

HORSEY BACK RIDING LESSONS

RottieGrrrl

Horses do what their herd boss tells them to. The accept orders from those they consider their boss...it is a respect issue...you have not established yourself as the dominant one yet (not that you would as a new rider). With experience comes confidence, you will communicate that to the horse...they will know...they will feel it in your posture, your balance, the way you relax ....

Just listen to your instructor, they will help you aquire the confidence to inspire the horse with respect. In the mean time to him...you are just one more chore that has to be done before he can get back to his unfinished business.

Rascal, that is about the best summary of it I've ever heard. From now on that will always be in the back of my head when I ride. Thanks!!

Your welcome highway :)

Most people who only have a single horse or two and don`t understand herd dynamics. Horses have a pecking order....they are either taking orders or giving them to those under them.....if you aren`t telling a horse what to do, they assume that they are in charge. It isn`t an ornery issue...it`s just their nature.

As you spend more time with them, you learn horse talk for *I am the boss*....It isn`t what you`d think either...any monty roberts book will explain body languages...anything by pat parelli or John lyons, clinton anderson ...will help also.

If you get rfd tv on satelite...there are several of these guys that have shows.

Horses are so wonderful when you understand them. When you actually start speaking *horse* their ears perk up, their eyes shine, they are delighted when their human starts communicating in a way that they understand...

The program that my daughter and I study...we can get our horses to come to us to back up to circle us, to move their back end their front end...all off line....all through playing games that they LOVE!

Our horses love to go places, love to interact with us because they understand...they are also can be quite protective of us if they feel we are being threatened by another animal.

You win their hearts...instead of just treating them like a dumb brute that is there to do your bidding...to satisfy your need for entertainment....and you win a friend for life...they are so sensitive and fun loving.

My daughter and I rescue horses...many of them considered to crazy or mean to be delt with. She went to a clinic last month with a crazy arab paso mare that had been so nutty the previous year...that she was told that it was a danger, and to get a different horse. Nobody recognised that same calm relaxed mare that preformed darned near perfectly all weekend...lol