GreaseSpot Cafe

Book of Acts

I have a question I've been toying with lately, (I actually posted this first on another thread, but I think it's more appropriate under the Doctrine forum.) regarding fellowship with believers and outreach. 

Does the model of fellowship with the believers in the book of Acts apply to today, and what exactly was that model?

Is it different than what TWI legislated? What does the bible say?

Scriptures anyone??

Should the model of what they did in the early days in California and New York with the way east and west be duplicated again? Did those fellowships work just for that period of time because of the Jesus movement, is it not possible to walk with God and others to that degree of effectiveness today?

Are ex-wayers like the children of Isreal in the desert for fourty years, is it too late for us to have another organic movement of His Word?

Has anyone else pondered these questions since leaving TWI?

I have a question I've been toying with lately, (I actually posted this first on another thread, but I think it's more appropriate under the Doctrine forum.) regarding fellowship with believers and outreach.

Does the model of fellowship with the believers in the book of Acts apply to today, and what exactly was that model?

I think so, nowIsee, but we do live in a completely different culture, have made strides in science and technology, etc. We don't have to meet in homes, but I think it's nice. I do think we should be preaching and teaching Jesus Christ, having communion, singing, praying, studying together, like they did in Acts. Some of the "progress" over the last 2000 years should be re-thought. Is the minister-in-the-middle model appropriate? Is church architecture misguided? I have as many questions as you. TBone and I will be exploring some of these issues over in the Decaf section, under "Fresh Air." The early Church was much different than we are. Christian doctrine now has layers upon layers of man's overlay, just as there was in Judaism in Jesus' and Paul's day. They were "making it up as they went," as in the council of Acts 15. Not really making it up -- God was moving in the churches and the ministries of the disciples of Jesus. Our task, I think, is indeed to get back to what mattered in Acts. Jesus is Lord, and he's coming again. Repent and be baptized and you shall receive the gift of the holy spirit.

Is it different than what TWI legislated? What does the bible say?

The Way was very focused on a charismatic teacher/preacher, and his peculiar interpretations. IMO, the "Way Tree" concept was a useful model, in that it emphasized the responsibility of leadership to serve and not be served (I know, didn't work that way in practice, well, yes, it did to some degree) We were taught that the "life was in the twig." Twigs were self-supporting, self-propagating, etc. But again, in practice, they weren't autonomous, and we were not encouraged to think for ourselves. We were to be "likeminded." That's what the Word says as well, but it cannot mean a likemindedness based upon VPW, that's for sure. Still trying to figure this stuff out myself.

Scriptures anyone??

Should the model of what they did in the early days in California and New York with the way east and west be duplicated again? Did those fellowships work just for that period of time because of the Jesus movement, is it not possible to walk with God and others to that degree of effectiveness today?

I believe it's possible to walk with God to that degree of effectiveness, but I don't know if duplicating what they did in those days would qualify as "walking with God." That would be up to the God with whom we walked. But I would like to know what specifically your referring to. I might be able to answer more directly. Surely, some of the things, if they were of God, should indeed be "duplicated."

Are ex-wayers like the children of Isreal in the desert for fourty years, is it too late for us to have another organic movement of His Word?

I like this question. (Other than the fact that you misspelled forty, but I'm a crummy speller myself! Should that be crumby?) I too yearn for something authentic and full of life. Something true and pure and sweet. Something from God himself, where the Body is directed by the Lord and we work effectively and harmoniously as the members of the visible Church.

Has anyone else pondered these questions since leaving TWI?

Well, I have. I doubt you and I are the only ones! The threads are loaded with them. Thanks for asking, and I hope this thread goes well.

Love,

Dan

Edited by anotherDan