GreaseSpot Cafe

When did the unusual doctrines begin at The Way?

shortfuse

I think it was an itch for power, even before India. he admitted as much in der vey living in love..

upset with the church, upset about being told what to preach, congregation calling him on stuff.. taught on TITHING four Sundays in a row.. "cried like a baby" when they confronted him..

livid that the elders and deacons wouldn't roll over and just let him run the show.. calls them cop outs.. "elders don't eld, deacons don't deac.."

then he prays..

"father, if you don't give me something that I DON'T HAVE TO BACK DOWN ON, I'm outta here.."

then a voice comes out of heaven, and a dove, or is it snow that decends upon the gas pumps..

something just doesn't seem very rational here..

:biglaugh:

Not rationalhere?Yeah.he wanted it all.Do not think he cared how he got itAs long as it became his.

looking back it scares the willes out of me when he called us his "Keeds"

The sticktoittvness he was descibed by mrs wierwille as having.He was wrong,though in his life he

never ever admitted it

Just because you have drive does not mean you are always right

VW's Itching ears...

I remember a tape of Walter C teaching on athletes of the spirit. VW was in the background egging him on, sounding like a cheerleader. It sounded to me as tho VW was getting his itching ear "fix" like a druggie does. I hope WC felt silly doing it, because "athletes" is a terrible and silly exercise from a scholarly and linguistic viewpoint.

VW was never as interested in finding the truth as he was in finding something new and different. Then he could pitch it to the world as something unknown since the first century which he alone got by revelation (even the plagiarized parts) and was teaching to the world.

This is also apparent in his various renderings of Mat 28:19 (make dsciples, baptizng in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit." The Greek texts all agree on this. But VW's renderings don't even agree with each other. It struck me that he was not near as interested in finding the true reading of Mat 28 as he was in not wanting it to say what the Greek and Aramaic texts say it does.

Itching ears take you away from the truth, and don't care too much where they end up, as long as it's somewhere else.

You see this in Mormon founder Joe Smith also. As he went along he made up men becoming gods, polygamy, his own army, an illegal bank (he got a "revelation" from God to leave down just before the police got to him), etc. If he hadn't died young, there would have been no end to his itchy new stuff. But his successor Brigham added other new stuff, like blood atonement- some sins Christ can't atone for, so you atone for your own sin by being shot or having your throat slit (this is the basis for the state of Utah using firing squad for executions, because their blood would be shed for their own sin).

I was drawn to the 'Judas Hanged' chapter of one of the books and did get fascinated by "Eli, Eli" and the four crucified and six denials of Peter. The four crucified and six denials theories don't hold water with me today.

I was told by one of the first members of CES that VPW had a "sexual fixation." I sort of believed that after taking his CFS class. Pretty bad. Also the idea that VPW went along with the castration of Noah thing originally presented by Ernest Martin. That was weird, though Martin is great in most categories IMHO.

The Haight Ashbury orgy thing I am just learning now in this thread.

Anyone know when Uncle H empied his bank account into Vic's new ministry? Did it coinside with events like the consolidation that happened in 72' or around then? I still think that the wise business man that Harry was is what was behind him "investing" in the Way and not that he believed that his kid brother had a special connection with God.

hi lindyhopper!...............harry "donated" his bank account to vic in 1957, after the 2 brothers convinced reuben, lydia and sevilla to sign over their parts of the wierwille farm to the newly incorporated "The Way, Inc.", of which. vic was the prez, ermal owens was the vice prez, and, h.e. wierwille was the secy/treasurer.

harry made the donation from his furniture rehupolstery business in spencerville, ohio........it was supposed to help renovate the old farmhouse so vic could move his family from van wert to the old farm, and also have an office in the house from which to direct the movement of his word over the world!...............harry would regularly "empty his account" from the business into twi as situations warranted........he kept that business going throughout the 60's.......i don't know when he "officially" sold it, but he was still in charge of buying furniture for staff at hq as well as for different limb properties twi bought in several states when i went into the corps in '73.........i used to go to auctions almost every week with harry, where he would buy furniture, appliances, farm equipment and machinery for hq and twi-owned properties...............by '72, there was a furniture re-finishing and rehupolstery shop which harry oversaw at a twi owned property in new knoxville and also some work like this was done out at the kipp farm...........................................................peace.